OROY, Puka Nacua?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Like OROY, MVP, Heisman trophy etc, the weight leans heavily towards the QB.
It is what it is.
Yes and I think it makes sense to a degree. Most difficult position in sports. Touches the ball on every play (except in the wildcat). Gets all the credit and all the blame. Also, makes the most money. But......

Puka needs 8 rec and 147 yards to set new rookie records for receiving.

Stroud need 743 yards (372 per game if he plays the last 2), 11 TDs, 187 attempts, 122 completions to set new rookie records in those catagories. And if he throws 50 passes the next 2 games and completes them all, he still won't set the record for completion percentage.

I don't know how many record setting QBs come out every year but at WR, Jaylen Waddle broke an 18 year old record in 2021 for rookie receptions and the record for rookie yardage is 63 years old....almost as old as I am. To contrast that with rookie passing records, the record for yardage is 11 years old and the record for TDs is 3 years old. A TD record was set in 1998, tied in 2012, broken in 2018 and again in 2020. So for my money, if Stroud doesn't break them....and he won't.....then how special was his season compared to Puka's?

Not arguing here, just presenting a case for our guy.

And on the Eisen show a guy brought up a good point (which may suggest how important QB is and just how great Stafford has been).....Stafford receivers have the two highest single season yardage outputs, the second highest season reception output, and the 3rd highest season rookie reception output, soon to be the #2 or #1 and with 74 more yards, the 3rd highest rookie output and 73 more yards after that, the best rookie output. Damn.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless Puka goes absolutely HAM over the final couple of games (like 14+ catches, 300+ yards, and 5 TDs), it'll be C.J. Stroud.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Unless Puka goes absolutely HAM over the final couple of games (like 14+ catches, 300+ yards, and 5 TDs), it'll be C.J. Stroud.
Even if Stroud throws 4 picks in the last two games and loses 2 more fumbles and Houston doesn't make the postseason? Yeah, probably. Writers shouldn't be voters.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even if Stroud throws 4 picks in the last two games and loses 2 more fumbles and Houston doesn't make the postseason? Yeah, probably. Writers shouldn't be voters.
If Stroud is absolutely dreadful and Puka breaks rookie records, that might give him a shot. But I doubt Stroud plays that badly.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Puka would rather have this;
1703654940459.png

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If Stroud is absolutely dreadful and Puka breaks rookie records, that might give him a shot. But I doubt Stroud plays that badly.
Yeah, I know. They haven't given it to a QB the last two years and they need one to either gush over or tear down in a year or so.

The evolution of the passing game can be charted in the OROY Award history.
First 47 years; 0 QB, 1 TE, 11 WR, 35 RB
Last 19 years: 9 QB, 6 RB, 4 WR

This year the most deserving might be a WR (for the third consecutive year?), 2nd most between a TE and a QB.

Nacua #7t in Rec; #4 in Yards; #5 in Targets; #23 in TDs; #5 in FD (among WRs)
LaPorta #5 in Rec; #5 in Yards; #5 in Targets; #1 in TDs; #4 in FD (among TEs)
Stroud #17 in Att; #20 in Comp; #10 in Yards; #11t in TDs; #5 in QB rating

What about OL? :biggrin:

Avila? Snaps (1019 - 100%); Rams #7 offense (363.9 yds/g); #10 in passing (241.9 y/g); #10 in rushing (122.1 y/g); #4 in sacks allowed (28)

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Yeah, I know. They haven't given it to a QB the last two years and they need one to either gush over or tear down in a year or so.

The evolution of the passing game can be charted in the OROY Award history.
First 47 years; 0 QB, 1 TE, 11 WR, 35 RB
Last 19 years: 9 QB, 6 RB, 4 WR

This year the most deserving might be a WR (for the third consecutive year?), 2nd most between a TE and a QB.

Nacua #7t in Rec; #4 in Yards; #5 in Targets; #23 in TDs; #5 in FD (among WRs)
LaPorta #5 in Rec; #5 in Yards; #5 in Targets; #1 in TDs; #4 in FD (among TEs)
Stroud #17 in Att; #20 in Comp; #10 in Yards; #11t in TDs; #5 in QB rating

What about OL? :biggrin:

Avila? Snaps (1019 - 100%); Rams #7 offense (363.9 yds/g); #10 in passing (241.9 y/g); #10 in rushing (122.1 y/g); #4 in sacks allowed (28)
Sold! Avila for OROY!!!

Ellard80

Legend
if the Rams make the playoffs and Puka puts up big numbers.

AND the Texans don't make the playoffs and Stroud is pedestrian...

Then puka has a chance.

pvtdragon39

Rookie
Not too bad for a 5th round compensatory pick, eh?
Yeah this one is from one of these: Corrbett ( injured), Jospeh-day ( released from Renters), Miller (injured/off field issues) ,Okoronkwo, or D Williams. Last two are the ones doing anything.