Opinions on the o-line Doc, or anyone? (Quintin Mikell)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Have a chance to re-watch yet? Any opinions?

Wells missed that one block, but I thought he looked solid in his (re)debut. I haven't watched it yet, but apparently Fish was giving them praise in his PC today. SJ39 was giving them love in his interview with 101 today too. He said Wells is very quick off the ball and gets to the second level faster than most.

I really hope we can stay healthy up front for the rest of the season. Finish with a bang.

Oh, and I've been really impressed with Quintin Mikell as of late. Seems like he's really starting to come on in this system.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think people (in general) really underestimate the impact a new system will have on players. Look at that shit defense in New Orleans, for example. That's ENTIRELY different from the one they used to run under Gregg Williams and they're struggling pretty hard there. Say what you want about Spags, but he knows how to put a defensive system in place and coach up players. Just gonna take a while.

Mikell spent most of his career in that Spags/Johnson system and now he's in something else entirely. I figured it might take some time even for him, and it would make the young players look lost at times. And they kinda do. At times. Dunno if Mikell is gonna be around next year though due to his salary and age, but we better have a better option ready.

Fish was waxing praise on the O-line too today. Credit to Boudreau for keeping that rotating group of players focused for the most part. That Cardinals defense is pretty stout and that was a good showing by them. Figured Wells would have to shake some rust off, and if this unit can stay healthy the rest of the way, then we *should* finish pretty strong. I'd really love it if we were at FULL strength for that last game in Seattle, because I really really really really really want them to win that one.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Should be the first game back for both of the corners too. Shehags fans are already crying that their season is over lol.

I would love for Sam to have protection that game and go over 300.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Username said:
Should be the first game back for both of the corners too. Shehags fans are already crying that their season is over lol.

Both will play this weekend. Meaning that they should miss week 17.

Havent rewatched it but here are my impressions from watching it live(and in a extremely sleep deprived state lol): I thought the Oline played solid. There were a couple missed assignment and the holding call on Saffold cost us a TD in all likelihood. I thought the line did a good job against the Cardinal Dline, all be it one without Calais, but SJ was a beast when he got to the LB and DB level. Taking tacklers with him for a ride. Thats not to say the Oline didnt get any second level blocks but just that SJ was in beast mode

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
[hil]Have a chance to re-watch yet?[/hil] Any opinions?

Wells missed that one block, but I thought he looked solid in his (re)debut. I haven't watched it yet, but apparently Fish was giving them praise in his PC today. SJ39 was giving them love in his interview with 101 today too. He said Wells is very quick off the ball and gets to the second level faster than most.

I really hope we can stay healthy up front for the rest of the season. Finish with a bang.

Oh, and I've been really impressed with Quintin Mikell as of late. Seems like he's really starting to come on in this system.
Not yet, but I will. The eyeball test was pretty good though. I thought both of the penalties called should not have been called. Wells missed the blitz and got Sam creamed. More later, but thee were some holes and some sealed edges. DR likey.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Mikell missed a sack yesterday and had some bad plays. But overall he hasn't been an issue. I'm a Mikell fan, I like his game.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
libertadrocks said:
Username said:

Havent rewatched it but here are my impressions from watching it live(and in a extremely sleep deprived state lol): I thought the Oline played solid. There were a couple missed assignment and the holding call on Saffold cost us a TD in all likelihood. I thought the line did a good job against the Cardinal Dline, all be it one without Calais, but SJ was a beast when he got to the LB and DB level. Taking tacklers with him for a ride. Thats not to say the Oline didnt get any second level blocks but just that SJ was in beast mode

Awwww sheeeeeeeet.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Username said:
libertadrocks said:
Username said:

Awwww sheeeeeeeet.

I think they're taking the gamble that they can help with Chicago and then win 3/4 games without them.

I'm sure they'll drop one to the 49ers, and should take Arizona. So the Bills better use that home field advantage and the fact the Seahags can't win on the road. Then if the stars align it could be a win and you're in situation for the final game.. A rematch of 2010.. One that I don't see Bradford or Jackson letting slip away again.

Even if it doesn't come down to that, playing spoilers is nice to. Fuck Seattle.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Username said:

except for the unnecessary personal foul on 3rd down during the first drive (i think?, one of the td drives anyway) which extended the drive for the cards and ultimately led to a td.

can't do that and expect to win very often.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I know I'm not the only one that was more than a bit panicky about this o-line going into the season, and I was more than a bit sketched out as they began to drop like flies, but they have really turned a corner--and even before Wells came back. Thank Warner that they finally gave that schmuck Loney the boot.

Username said:

I don't want to derail this thing, but the Adderal thing really needs to get fixed right quick. I had some friends that got their kicks popping this shit and it really does something else to you from what I've seen. Probably not the best image you want your billion dollar industry to project when you have a rash of suspensions for guys abusing prescription drugs.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Warner4Prez said:
I know I'm not the only one that was more than a bit panicky about this o-line going into the season, and I was more than a bit sketched out as they began to drop like flies, but they have really turned a corner--and even before Wells came back. Thank Warner that they finally gave that schmuck Loney the boot.

Username said:

I don't want to derail this thing, but the Adderal thing really needs to get fixed right quick. I had some friends that got their kicks popping this shit and it really does something else to you from what I've seen. Probably not the best image you want your billion dollar industry to project when you have a rash of suspensions for guys abusing prescription drugs.

It's not adderal. That's what the team is covering it up as. Read my post in the other thread. I'll link it when I get home. Sherman already denied taking adderal like a dumbass too.

I agree too. If there's such an award for assistant coach of the year Paul B has to win by a landslide.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
OK, I finally got a chance to rewatch the game and what I saw the first time pretty much held, but I do have some comments.

* Lance Kendricks - After the release of Brit "Drunkin Fish" Miller," we ran a lot of multiple tight end sets. Kendricks is our best blocker, bar none, whether in-line, or at fullback, or from the slot. We need to utilize him more in the passing game.

* Scott Wells - Yes, Scott Wells missed that one early play, and it was a bad miss, but I was really impressed with how he is able to get downfield and make blocks. For the first time it appeared as if we were able to pick up some blitzes, I said some, but that is an improvement. Another improvement by proxy is being able to have Rob Turner at the LG spot. Turner is a better G than a C, he is allowed to use his aggression better. He is not a road grater, but he did get some push, and he can move in space.

* Rodger Saffold - I can't hardly believe how much he has improved, and I don't think that he has reached his ceiling, but Boudreau has done wonders with him. I am only afraid of him getting hurt, but I see a bright future for him at LT.

* Our right side is our weakness now, but Dahl and Richardson are serviceable under Boudreau. They both get overpowered at times, more times than our other lineman. I think Richardson is playing over his head, which is good for us right now, but it worries me. H. Dahl plays hard, he's a max effort type guy, but doesn't have that body to be a mauler. I'd like one side of our line to have maulers.

Overall, I think that this is the best line that I have seen on a Rams team in a long, long, time, and this is their first week playing together! I expect good things for the rest of the year.