One of the Rams' top offseason priorities: Addressing the left tackle position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Noteboom was starting at a position he has never played at any level and they threw him to the wolves in the NFL without even giving him the pre-season to adjust. That was just plain stupid coaching by Kromer. When he played in 2018 at LT he was extremely good.

At some point they need to move on from Whitworth who showed his decline far too much for my liking. If Noteboom isn't ready in Sept. they have Edwards who can step in until Joe is ready to return then David can move to RT where he belongs. They can shift Evans to RG where he belongs and play Brewer at RT. IMO I see Evans as the RG of the future.

Allen outplayed Sullivan during his games. He's a much better one on one blocker than Blythe or Sullivan. People complain about Allen but ignore Blythe's continued missed blocks that have led to two INT pick sixes? The tape doesn't lie at center.

IMO Whitworth's value is as a coach where his experience can be best used. Kromer has IMO showed he's a poor o-line coach, unable to even coach the fundamentals. He looked fine when they only used an outside zone something every college lineman has probably used since high school. But when he needed to shift to a gap or even inside zone scheme his issues as a coach became apparent.

Also, there is no way they can afford to pay Whitworth the money he will want for simply one year. I would rather see that cap money spent on extending Littleton or Fowler (Whits) cap number potential pay for most of extending both those guy.

IMO what they do at the kicking position is far more important than LT where they already have options with guys already on the roster. Zuerlein's injury history and inconsistency are troubling. I think they sign him to a one year prove it deal but wouldn't be surprised to see them draft a kicker to compete with him. If Greg had been his 2018 self this year this team would be in the playoffs. His misses of make-able kicks lost games. They can't afford that next year.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Well we are working with unknowns at this point. Who's to say Edward's isn't better at playing LT over G? I think guard is an easier hole to fill than LT

But imo we haven't necessarily fixed the guard spot yet either, at least not both sides, unless Corbett really steps up. Or center. We need more power on the interior at both positions. Another reason bringing back Whitworth makes sense. Otherwise too many holes to fill.

Would be great to get Scherff at guard and see if one of our other interior linemen with more power could challenge Sullivan at center.

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
But imo we haven't necessarily fixed the guard spot yet either, at least not both sides, unless Corbett really steps up. Or center. We need more power on the interior at both positions. Another reason bringing back Whitworth makes sense. Otherwise too many holes to fill.

Would be great to get Scherff at guard and see if one of our other interior linemen with more power could challenge Sullivan for that spot.

Corbett and Edward's have played pretty well actually. Their pff numbers have allowed 1 sack for each player. That's pretty good. Their downfall is their penalties. Corbett with 4 about average, and Edward's w 8 which is quite high. Edwards does have more snaps, however that number is a bit skewed as he has about double the playing time this year compared to corbett.
These are both one year starters Edwards is a rookie and they played better than both Blythe and noteboom. So yeah I think we are solid at guard for now. Can we improve? Yes but these guys will only get better in theory as they're young AF.
Blythe is the weakest link and everyone knows it including avid ram fans. Hes very useful tho as he can play any interior position. So he'd be a great depth guy

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Would be great to get Scherff at guard and see if one of our other interior linemen with more power could challenge Sullivan at center.

Not sure if you meant Allen or Blythe at Center, but the point is well taken. Whit & Scherff on that OL with a host of challengers for the LG and Center jobs makes things look far better, just don't know if we can swing it financially or whether Scherff gets himself franchise tagged.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Give Whit a one year deal to return. It makes the most sense for us. Noteboom likely won't be ready to start the year, and he was considered the LT of the future.
I was about to say this. Seems that many have forgotten him as our future LT. So he's not a great LG, but LT has a different skill set.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was about to say this. Seems that many have forgotten him as our future LT. So he's not a great LG, but LT has a different skill set.

He stepped in and played most of a game last year when Whit went down with the ankle injury. He looked solid (if not good) at LT. I still think Noteboom could be the guy, but it's unlikely he's ready Week 1 of 2020.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Big Whit is not only a good player but he is a leader and his presence is helpful to the team. I think even at his age he's better than an average LT.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
We need a stud C more so than more OGs.

I'm not sure how we can be certain of this.
Do you have a 'stud' Center in mind that might be comparable to Scherff at RG in free agency ?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm not sure how we can be certain of this.
Do you have a 'stud' Center in mind that might be comparable to Scherff at RG in free agency ?
It's somewhat moot if we cant afford Scherff anyway.

But a valid question. One that I dont have an answer for either.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Not sure if you meant Allen or Blythe at Center, but the point is well taken. Whit & Scherff on that OL with a host of challengers for the LG and Center jobs makes things look far better, just don't know if we can swing it financially or whether Scherff gets himself franchise tagged.

Right, I meant Allen. Hope he comes back strong but some competition would be good. One way or another imo we need more physical power on the interior to go with correct technical skill. Blythe seems to have technique but just not enough push.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Questions

How many OT's since 2017 have deen developed with good pass blocking abilities? I am having issues naming any.

Why would you not consider hiring a OT coach who is fully aware what Goff needs from his OT's?

If it were my decision I would make a serious offer to sign AW for one more season to be the starter for most of the first half of the season until Noteboom is fully healthy with strong plans on a follow up good offer for AW to join the OL coaching staff as the OT coach.

Don’t know where this Czar bazaar thought of having Whitworth as a player/coach ??

Yes it would be nice to resign Whitworth to open up in The New SOFI stadium!! He means a lot to this group & gives The Rams time to develop these young Lineman !!

Bonify with all respect - I’d think you would like this young group of Lineman !! How they developed & if Greg the Leg hits a basic FG The Rams are in the playoffs by beating what is now the best team by record in the NFC !!!

I can’t let you get away with how much you liked Colome & Demby coming into the season !! We all saw how that went & just think of all those wasted preseason reps ??

I’m actually glad The Rams sat Allen & Noteboom only because of the experience Edwards & Evans both got this last year !!
—Wow - to me, what a season.

I really like the trade for Corbett!! He looks like a Big Core piece to these offensive line puzzle !!!

My question is what happens at center ?? I think The Rams stay in house with Allen & either Corbett or Blythe ?? Not sure who was getting second team reps in practice these last 6 weeks ?? Maybe there is the back up next season as well ??

whoever you think needs or needed to be fired ?? I don’t know, but next season will be more of the same !!!