One Football Genius that helped form McVay's vision of offensive football.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
No doubt. I recall one of the early articles about him (maybe before we hired him hard to remember) observed that he was sitting at his desk and nuking the film of the SF drive that ended in the Montana to Clark TD pass. His excitement was noted by the author as well as him going on about how it was the run game that made that drive possible. I knew then he was the right dude.

He's no Mike Martz that's for damn sure.
Can you imagine if McV had the talent on that 1999 O and the health of the Players, OMG.....Is an under statement........

Opps forget to throw in that D that only allowed 15 pts per game during the season.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I coach in a country type district where we are pulling far less kids than the programs in city districts.
The kids I get are generally smaller and less athletic than our opponents. Our program was 23 years old and had
never won a championship at any age group. Since I started running the single wing (ran double wing my first 10yrs)
we have won 4 championships and once was ranked number one in the state.
Great stuff Coach!!!

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Great stuff Coach!!!

Sounds like my High School, an all-boys Catholic school.

Smaller and less athletic in the late "70's.

My coach was fired and replaced by an assistant on the staff.

Coach Davis put in the Wishbone and won back to back state championships in Arkansas' largest classification.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Coach Davis put in the Wishbone and won back to back state championships in Arkansas' largest classification.

I was a DC for a few years ( not a very good one) and I hated seeing a wishbone team. kept me up nights
before game day. I see some of these old school offenses as works of art.And the wish bone definitely falls
under that category. Just a personal preference but the wishbone is my third favorite behind the double wing and singlewing.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Sounds like my High School, an all-boys Catholic school.

Smaller and less athletic

That's one of the beautiful things about the singlewing. When we run the direct snap or true single wing formation.
The same time it takes for a QB, in another system to take the snap and hand it off to a back, we are already 3yds up the field.
it hits very quick. The other advantage is the down blocking system. The online is are blocking on a angle. they are not
blocking the man in front of them without double team help. It allows for smaller, quicker oline men.
Sorry if I'm rambling, when it comes to football, I have a hard time shutting up.llol

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
QB calls the plays, smart fella, then is lead blocker for TB, I think
train
ps single wing was ground chuck X 100, no passing zone

True to an extent. Everything is set up off the off tackle power play.
But the single wing is the perfect combination of power , misdirection and play action passing.
They may have not passed that much back in the day , but if watch some of these
high school teams run it today the play action pass game is beyond nasty.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I was a DC for a few years ( not a very good one) and I hated seeing a wishbone team. kept me up nights
before game day. I see some of these old school offenses as works of art.And the wish bone definitely falls
under that category. Just a personal preference but the wishbone is my third favorite behind the double wing and singlewing.
The Texas Longhorn Wishbone was brutal, man-ball...the Barry Switzer OU Wishbone was speed magic

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
That's one of the beautiful things about the singlewing. When we run the direct snap or true single wing formation.
The same time it takes for a QB, in another system to take the snap and hand it off to a back, we are already 3yds up the field.
it hits very quick. The other advantage is the down blocking system. The online is are blocking on a angle. they are not
blocking the man in front of them without double team help. It allows for smaller, quicker oline men.
Sorry if I'm rambling, when it comes to football, I have a hard time shutting up.llol

Do you watch much of Malzahn at Auburn? His O is said to be derivative of the single wing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I love McVay's offense. Not just because he is successful, but also because many of his concepts are based
out of the single wing offense ( Pop Warner's brilliant contribution to football).
There are a couple key elements from the single wing that McVay uses wonderfully.

1. The Mesh- The mesh is where at the beginning of the play there are 3 and sometimes 4 backs or receivers
meeting at the same time or in quick sequence creating ball fakes that threaten the defense in
3 or more different directions. Usually these threats will involve a sweep + inside run + counter + play action pass or QB
bootleg in opposite direction as sweep. If done correctly it can leave the defense in complete confusion.

McVay uses the jet motion, which I love. threatening the sweep with Woods or Kupp combined with trap , pass, counter threats
or whatever combo his badass offensive mind comes up with.

Another beautiful threat of the mesh is that you will have several plays that all look identical pre-snap. sound familiar ?
I coached the single wing for many years and on more than one occasion I would have refs come up to me
after the game and confess " coach, I had no idea where the ball was half of the time". ( Pop Warner was a genius)

2. The concept of- using a tight formation to create space
If you watched the game Sunday night, you heard the announcers speak on it.
It seems most everyone is in love with some sort of spread offense.looking to create space by spreading
the defense pre-snap with spread formations. But there are also advantages to the tight formations.
The tight formations create more space from side to side, making the flats much more difficult to cover.
We saw McVay tearing the Cowboys up, in the flats.
Another advantage is that it makes pick plays much easier to achieve.

The year Sean Peyton was suspended he helped coach his sons football team and had to face
a single wing team. Here is a quote from Sean after being routed in the championship.

“We spent all week, we talked to Bill Parcells and Jon Gruden and asked them how to defend the single wing,” said Payton. “You have no idea how much time we spent. You guys put 58 points on the board.”

Wow man. That is a really cool write up. Thanks for doing that. I feel you really show me what I'm looking at.

I'm just a fan and I think I know what I'm seeing, but I generally don't feel like I know why. Very cool and much appreciated by this Ram fan.