OldSchool's mock 2.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well we've traded Ramsey the combine has come and gone and we have a start to free agency so lets get going.

Resign:
Gaines
Perkins
Shelton (already done)
Haley

IMO We're going to let as many go for the comp pick formula as possible even though most of the rest really won't move that needle.

Free agents:
JJ3
Dante Fowler

Quiet free agency because I doubt we put a lot of money into players this year each of these I think are 1 year deals.

Draft:
2nd Round pick 36:

BJ Ojulari Edge LSU
After Nolan Smith playing himself out of our range IMO this is my main target. Can come in year one start and contribute.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVwEkrTH5SM

3rd Round pick 69:

Jaelyn Duncan LT Maryland
A project in the 3rd at LT. Good size and strength and a bit better as a run blocker than pass. With his size and strength he'd be a good guy for our new OL coach to work on.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWp3t6Gx9lc

3rd Round pick 77:
Julius Brents CB Kansas St

A corner with good size and strength to replace (eventually) Ramsey. His stock is rising so not sure where he falls but a lot of mocks have him around this range.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMvO5fbZNmM

5th Round pick 167:
Roschon Johnson RB Texas

We should be very lucky to have him fall to us in the 5th.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kka8C8tZhMk

5th Round pick 171:
Dante Stills DE/DT West Virginia

Good size and strength, very good attacking the run game. Would rotate him with Brown along with AD and Gaines on the front 3.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnHPkxESb0

5th Round pick 177:
YaYa Diaby Edge Louisville

More of a project at Edge but has the physical tools to develop into a good pass rusher. We lack playmakers at this very important position so two draft picks and a couple UDFA seem in order to me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6vLbomwuQ4

6th round pick 182:
Jake Haener QB Fresno St

A commonly mocked to us development QB behind Stafford and Perkins.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Fc6Ru1jRc&t=152s

6th round pick 189:
Ronnie Bell WR Michigan

Plays bigger than his 5'11" frame has a good catch radius and is a playmaker in the medium to long range game. Somebody to replace Robinson on the roster and develop. Limited experience in the return game but a possibility back there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2YO5an5TXs

6th round pick 191:
Daniel Scott S Cal

Will likely be in every one of my mocks. Good deep safety will contribute even as a 6th round pick as a rookie.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Atp31yCxno

7th round pick 223:
Jake Moody K Michigan

We need a kicker now and he's one of the best in the draft

7th round pick 251:
Zack Kuntz TE Old Dominion

Had a great combine as he showed off his agility. A good TE to develop and surpass Higs in a year or two.

I already know the two main complaints. I drafted a TE too late and only one guy on the OL. McVay and Snead have both said they like the guys they have in the OL room. For better or worse it may be another draft that ROD is upset by the lack of attention to that room. Though he may not start at OT as a rookie I do think if needed Duncan can play at Guard as a rookie. We'll go in to the season IMO with Boom at LT with Jackson his backup. Jackson and Anchrum will compete at LG with Bruss at RG. Shelton and Allen battle it out for C and Hav stays for another year or two at RT before he retires.

To me it's very conceivable that the top 5 picks all contribute as rookies with Ojulari Brents and Johnson getting a lot of PT early and the other two working their way in.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I know from experience, that mock took a long time to put together, so thank you for that. I keep flip flopping on Ojulari - initially, I like him a lot and watched a lot of LSU last year. He did seem to tail off at the end of the year, but that could be because the immensely talented Perkins started to assert himself. I'm admittedly a bit afraid of BJ taking the traits of his older brother, who has yet to be very productive in the NFL. I do like some of your other picks and think this would be a solid offseason, though I'm not sure Fowler would be my choice of the cheaper edges.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Appreciate the work, Old School.

I would like this mock a whole lot better if the Rams had come out and said they were gonna reload the DEFENSE this year, but I believe they have stated the opposite. Lotta good defensive picks, though.

Still, an Edge rusher at #36 is probably the best way to address that issue and probably the best use of that pick. I’m more of an uzumah guy, but either him ojulari would be fine with me.

If we’re going OL early (we SHOULD), I’m forever in the Center camp. Finding a solid starting Center in the 3rd round seems more prudent than a Tackle who isn’t supposed to start. Then again I’m one of those always pounding the table for a Center to anchor that line. The Rams just can’t be that dependent on Allen.

The CB is tricky. I like the pick, just wondering again if the Rams are gonna address the Ramsey departure ahead of the offense. They did draft 4 guys last year and have another couple in the fold.

Love your day 3 RB and especially your DL selection. Rotation on the DL has always been a tactic I believe in. Better or worse, it’s the first thing fisher did when he arrived in 2012 and the defense became above average overnight. It was the DL that really turned around that defense when the Rams won the whole thing just a couple of seasons ago.

A QB and a kicker? Needed it.

Yes, the TE is a topic now, isn’t it? It all depends on what the Rams think they have in Long. I am one for grabbing one with one of our 3rds and letting the CB need roll into next year’s draft—when the Rams have a 1rst and 2nd round pick to use on a potential star.

Excellent work.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Appreciate the work, Old School.

I would like this mock a whole lot better if the Rams had come out and said they were gonna reload the DEFENSE this year, but I believe they have stated the opposite. Lotta good defensive picks, though.

Still, an Edge rusher at #36 is probably the best way to address that issue and probably the best use of that pick. I’m more of an uzumah guy, but either him ojulari would be fine with me.

If we’re going OL early (we SHOULD), I’m forever in the Center camp. Finding a solid starting Center in the 3rd round seems more prudent than a Tackle who isn’t supposed to start. Then again I’m one of those always pounding the table for a Center to anchor that line. The Rams just can’t be that dependent on Allen.

The CB is tricky. I like the pick, just wondering again if the Rams are gonna address the Ramsey departure ahead of the offense. They did draft 4 guys last year and have another couple in the fold.

Love your day 3 RB and especially your DL selection. Rotation on the DL has always been a tactic I believe in. Better or worse, it’s the first thing fisher did when he arrived in 2012 and the defense became above average overnight. It was the DL that really turned around that defense when the Rams won the whole thing just a couple of seasons ago.

A QB and a kicker? Needed it.

Yes, the TE is a topic now, isn’t it? It all depends on what the Rams think they have in Long. I am one for grabbing one with one of our 3rds and letting the CB need roll into next year’s draft—when the Rams have a 1rst and 2nd round pick to use on a potential star.

Excellent work.
Thanks for the input! I'm probably always going Edge at 36 in these mocks but the next one will be more of an offensive flavor, in picks not comments :D

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I definitely like this draft. The Rams did come out and say they’re focusing on offense, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not helping the Defense too.

I would, however, prefer to go Center with that first pick of the 3rd. I’ve seen quite a few mocks where Luke Wypler is going in that range. If he’s there, he’s my pick.

I’d also hope the Rams are looking at free agency for a guard. If we can land Isaac Seumalo if FA, draft Wypler, our line is going to fair much better. Everything else you did would surely have us competing.

Good work.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Great draft. Love the FA signings as well.

Also in the camp of OC in the 3rd. And I'd rather the Purdue QB in the 5th. Other than that, we're a better team with the approach you laid out. Cheers!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I can tell I had a busy week as just read this and as usual @OldSchool well done sir, well done. Has everything the Rams need with hope that Haener overtakes Perkins.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I’m all on board with filling all The Rams needs with quality players. This mock by Oldschool hits a Homerun.
Like the kicker & QB,but wonder if there still on the board
when The Rams pick.
I think Oldschool is right on with Edge & Tackle with the first to picks.He states the need as well with the projected lineup.

My worry is his selection early?
I’d go with The kid from ND -DE/DT/OLB. as the Edge on the Right Side of the ball.
I saw late last season The Rams we’re trying to use Hoecht coming from the left side & Floyd had trouble rushing from the RDE/OLB spot.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Have to say Inhabe too LOL at all the Center & offensive talk.That said more so bringing back Ex-rejects as FA Rams! -silly

Then the Maryland LT will be gone,so switching the LSU olb
In 3rd rd makes Way more sense
come draft day. -just being realistic

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm keep flip flopping on Ojulari just like @Flatlyner . I though his brother was better coming out and he hasn't done much yet. But, he is still young and developing.
Duncan seems like Noteboom Part II to me. Too much finesse. Not enough dawg.

Love the Brents and Johnson selections, though. Hope they make it to those spots.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm keep flip flopping on Ojulari just like @Flatlyner . I though his brother was better coming out and he hasn't done much yet. But, he is still young and developing.
Duncan seems like Noteboom Part II to me. Too much finesse. Not enough dawg.

Love the Brents and Johnson selections, though. Hope they make it to those spots.
I get the Duncan concern you cite the thing is he seems like the McVay type of LT. He's not a big bruiser mauler. He's more athletic and a guy that can get to the 2nd level in blocks. I agree he needs to be stronger but that's the same with all McVay OL picks.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Gee. The more I hear about this Julius Brents, I wonder if he gets out of the 2nd round.
Strong Senior Bowl & Combine to go along with great measurables.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gee. The more I hear about this Julius Brents, I wonder if he gets out of the 2nd round.
Strong Senior Bowl & Combine to go along with great measurables.
He's very talented and one of those I just hope falls to us. Would be huge for the defense.