Old article showing QBR is garbage

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'm going to leave this here. For nothing else, as something to link to whenever someone tries to use ESPN's stupid and nonsensical QBR stat to make some point or other...

It's Florio, but I guess either a stopped clock is right twice a day, or this was before his descent into inanity...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/10/espns-qbr-stat-puts-tebow-ahead-of-rodgers/

ESPN’s QBR stat puts Tebow ahead of Rodgers
Posted by Mike Florio on October 10, 2011, 8:18 PM EST
tebowap.jpg
AP
It’s the Year of the Quarterback. We know this because ESPN has told us that it is. (Perhaps next year will be the Year of the Second String Long Snapper.)

As part of the Year of the Quarterback, ESPN has attempted to cure our reliance on the decades-old passer rating system with a new “Total QBR” number that supposedly incorporates everything that the most important player on the field does.

I’ve ignored it to date, for several reasons. First, I’ve got no problem with the passer rating system, especially if the NFL has no problem with it. Second, I prefer my measurables with non-metric scales. Water boils at 212 degrees, not 100. And a perfect showing for a quarterback gets a 158.3.

Third, I feel like ESPN is trying to force it down our throats.

I’ll unignore the Total QBR long enough to point out that I have found justification for ignoring it: Under the Total QBR, Tim Tebow performed better on Sunday than Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers, whose Packers won at the Georgia Dome, completed 26 of 39 passes for 396 yards and two touchdowns. His Total QBR was 82.1.

Tebow, whose Broncos lost at home to the Chargers, completed four of 10 passes for 79 yards and a touchdown. And he ran the ball six times for 38 yards and a touchdown. And his Total QBR was 83.2.

Alan

Legend
They're the only one that uses it aren't they? I doubt it lasts very long.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I've not even tried to learn or follow QBR.

What is it? Never mind. I don't care.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
QBR is garbage

Went ahead and fixed that title for you.
Yeah, but some people don't get that right off.

I've not even tried to learn or follow QBR.

What is it? Never mind. I don't care.
Well, it has two strikes it against it going in:

1. The formula is propietary (and secret) so no one outside ESPN can figure out QBRs.
2. The formula reportedly involves ESPN people making subjective judgments as to a play's value, where as QB Rating is completely objective.

jjab360

Legend
There are some much better examples out there than the one that article uses.

For example, last year Terrelle Pryor went 10/19 for 88 yards, 0 TDs, and 2 Ints and ran for 9 attempts, 106 yards (93 of them on one run) and a TD against Pittsburgh for a QBR of 96.2.

In his season opener against the Ravens, Peyton Manning went 27/42 for 462 yards, 7 TDs, and 0 Ints for a QBR of 83.6.

What is this blasphemy???

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Also, you gotta love how all the ESPN writers are forced to constantly reference QBR. What a joke.

What does ESPN gain by inventing a BS stat? I don't get it. I'm sure it will fade out as the "Arch Deluxe" of NFL stats (God I miss that sammich).

Boffo97

Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also, you gotta love how all the ESPN writers are forced to constantly reference QBR. What a joke.

What does ESPN gain by inventing a BS stat? I don't get it. I'm sure it will fade out as the "Arch Deluxe" of NFL stats (God I miss that sammich).
Are you comparing QBR to an Arch Deluxe?!

You monster.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
There are some much better examples out there than the one that article uses.

For example, last year Terrelle Pryor went 10/19 for 88 yards, 0 TDs, and 2 Ints and ran for 9 attempts, 106 yards (93 of them on one run) and a TD against Pittsburgh for a QBR of 96.2.

In his season opener against the Ravens, Peyton Manning went 27/42 for 462 yards, 7 TDs, and 0 Ints for a QBR of 83.6.

What is this blasphemy???
Dude you gotta be bullshitting me. Is that real?