OLB Free Agents

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looking at the OLB market at this early stage it's very competitive:

1. Barrett (Bucs)
2. Fowler (Rams)
3. Dupree (Steelers)
4. Clowney (Shehawks)

I have them in rough sack total order btw. Barrett will probably get locked up, he loves the Bucs and is in the right scheme but you never know with Tampa's ownership. Clowney meanwhile has a good chance to test the market because he sucks in that Sheattle defense and Dupree might hit the market too.

Seems like this year's FA group might have more young talent and upside than you usually see for the edge OLBs. I've been of the mind that the Rams will let Dante walk in FA, however I am starting to consider the quality of this group might benefit negotiations if both sides are interested in getting things done.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

1. Barrett (Bucs)
2. Fowler (Rams)
3. Dupree (Steelers)
4. Clowney (Shehawks)

I have them in rough sack total order btw. Barrett will probably get locked up, he loves the Bucs and is in the right scheme but you never know with Tampa's ownership. Clowney meanwhile has a good chance to test the market because he sucks in that Sheattle defense and Dupree might hit the market too.

Seems like this year's FA group might have more young talent and upside than you usually see for the edge OLBs. I've been of the mind that the Rams will let Dante walk in FA, however I am starting to consider the quality of this group might benefit negotiations if both sides are interested in getting things done.

We don't need no stinkin' OLB's, (Using the Gold Hat voice) ... at least so long as Wade is our DC.
But do get us a killer ILB please.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

1. Barrett (Bucs)
2. Fowler (Rams)
3. Dupree (Steelers)
4. Clowney (Shehawks)

Tag & trade.... Same thing KC did with Ford and Seattle with Clarke.

oldnotdead

Legend
Fowler will be extended. They need to get rid of the dead weight first. IMO Weddle & Mathews both are expendable along with Brockers and Whitworth. They paid Fowler $12M this year so extending him won't cost as much as people think in terms of cap impact. Brocker's money alone will be probably twice as much as needed and Dante is more important.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Don't need much from OLB, but some depth would be nice. I can't think we'd get more than a 2nd with a tag, and that might be 2021 by the time everything is done. I'm fine letting Fowler walk and taking someone with upside to compete against or relieve Obo and Ebukam.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Don't need much from OLB, but some depth would be nice. I can't think we'd get more than a 2nd with a tag, and that might be 2021 by the time everything is done. I'm fine letting Fowler walk and taking someone with upside to compete against or relieve Obo and Ebukam.

I think we're loaded with depth at OLB. Jachai Polite went early in the 3'rd round last draft and many considered him a 2'nd round prospect, both Carraway & Durham looked quite good in camp, Jeff Holland was added two weeks ago, Patrick plays both inside & out, ... OBO, Ebukam & Matthews are still here and under contract, and Lawler will be returning from IR.

Replace Brockers with a 5T DE/DT, improve 3T depth to replace Smart & compete with SJD. Bring up Marquis Copeland to compete with Fox & Lawler for reserve roles. Find a bruiser ILB who can crush, this D should be set imo.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Fowler will be extended. They need to get rid of the dead weight first. IMO Weddle & Mathews both are expendable along with Brockers and Whitworth. They paid Fowler $12M this year so extending him won't cost as much as people think in terms of cap impact. Brocker's money alone will be probably twice as much as needed and Dante is more important.

He is not under contract for 2020. So a new contract impacts the cap totally.

If he gets $14M a year that is $14M off of the $26M of cap room that they have.

TexasRam

Legend
I think we're loaded with depth at OLB. Jachai Polite went early in the 3'rd round last draft and many considered him a 2'nd round prospect, both Carraway & Durham looked quite good in camp, Jeff Holland was added two weeks ago, Patrick plays both inside & out, ... OBO, Ebukam & Matthews are still here and under contract, and Lawler will be returning from IR.

Replace Brockers with a 5T DE/DT, improve 3T depth to replace Smart & compete with SJD. Bring up Marquis Copeland to compete with Fox & Lawler for reserve roles. Find a bruiser ILB who can crush, this D should be set imo.

I agree. We have in house talent to duplicate Fowler’s production. We need that $14 allocated to an Oline Free agent.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree. We have in house talent to duplicate Fowler’s production. We need that $14 allocated to an Oline Free agent.
I do think that's the way things are gonna go in FA. Rams invested so much in Gurley & Goff then let the OL decline, they will definitely address that aggressively in FA.

My biggest concern is Whit. I'd like to see him come back but not sure he's going to accept the kind of contract the Rams will be limited to. I think the ideal scenario is they come to an agreement where he is affordable and understands the LT position will be open for competition, and they bring in Scherff to upgrade the interior.

Scherff might get tagged or signed of course, but if they can get him in here a guard of his ability will help cover weakness at center. We would have a fantastic line if those two things were to happen and from there I would think the Rams use the strength of this draft (DL) to find an affordable 5T and at some point a center to at least compete with Allen if not start outright.

Still feel like lack of competition at LG and Center, as well as the over-resting of guys who needed snaps in preseason are the root of our problems and slow start this year.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
... and from there I would think the Rams use the strength of this draft (DL) to find an affordable 5T and at some point a center to at least compete with Allen if not start outright.
Still feel like lack of competition at LG and Center, as well as the over-resting of guys who needed snaps in preseason are the root of our problems and slow start this year.

Corbett, Shelton & Trewyn were all listed Centers and were brought on well after the season had begun, and while I can't rule out a free agent Center or high draft pick at the position, we have certainly increased competition for Allen's job since he was first given his promotion from the bench.

TexasRam

Legend
Corbett, Shelton & Trewyn were all listed Centers and were brought on well after the season had begun, and while I can't rule out a free agent Center or high draft pick at the position, we have certainly increased competition for Allen's job since he was first given his promotion from the bench.

yea I think if McVay Trys to go into 2020 with Allen at center then it will be Mcvays undoing. If there is one weakness that McVay has as a coach it’s his loyalty.

We need a powerful center and LG to compliment Edwards, Havenstein and Whitworth.

Robert

Rookie
Making competition doesn’t mean the winner will be suitable to start.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
yea I think if McVay Trys to go into 2020 with Allen at center then it will be Mcvays undoing. If there is one weakness that McVay has as a coach it’s his loyalty.

We need a powerful center and LG to compliment Edwards, Havenstein and Whitworth.

There are a lot of variables for our coming off-season, and if we should manage a high 2'nd round pick for Fowler in a Tag & Trade, I'd be more inclined to use it on another OT than Center. At best Whitworth is likely gone after 2020, and Havenstein's troublesome fall-off could be temporary, but he also counts $7.5mil against the 2021 CAP at a time we are trying to extend Ramsey, Kupp, JJ3 and perhaps even Everett. We've all been expecting Noteboom to take over for Whitworth, but he could also be penciled in at RT if we drafted another LT type.
While Center is presently a concern, I won't be surprised if he's already found to be on our roster.
jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He wasn’t suitable and should have never started but you said you don’t see us drafting or bringing in a free agent center due to increased competition.

No, I didn't say that. In fact, I said that I wouldn't rule it out.
The Rams have several depth players at the position now, whether they are all jags or not is yet to be determined. Corbett, Shelton & Trewyn did not have the benefit of attending our camp last season, but Rams brass thought enough of them to bring them in. They are all very young players, same with Allen, so not only will being in camp benefit their development, but the difference between year one and year two in the system can make for much improved progress. Even with this, I suspect the Rams will draft an OT and a Center somewhere in the draft to provide greater competition.
jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

1. Barrett (Bucs)
2. Fowler (Rams)
3. Dupree (Steelers)
4. Clowney (Shehawks)

You're missing a few other good ones (ex. Yannick Ngakoue). It's a good class. I think we'll either franchise and trade Dante or keep him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I think we have that bruiser in Natrez Patrick.