OL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm sorry but this is a weak strategy. I'm expected to believe we have great starting talent from last years bench that will lead us to victory? We just watch FA studs that fit our needs sign elsewhere... We can resolve the multiple OL holes as well as the needs at CB, S, WR, and LB all in this draft?

-CB is not as bad as people think. Walton's scheme was the anti Jenks/Tru. These are two guys who thrive in playing man to man and playing close to their opponents. We saw those glimpses in 2012 and some in 2013 despite Walton playing them 10 yards off often. Greg Williams is just what this secondary needs. He won't tolerate soft tackling efforts or silly mistakes. McGee had dime back potential and is a ST contributor. We can add a nickelback in the draft.
-FS can be added in FA or draft. Would I like a center field type ballhawk? Sure. But we don't NEED one to take a step forward as a D. A solid guy like Clemens (of Miami) could be a good stopgap. Imo the biggest move on the D this offseason has already happened. The signing of GW. If we don't get a FS in FA we can add one in the draft.
-WR isn't as bad as people think. You don't need a #1WR to be a successful O or a playoff team. Imo we have 3 #2 WRs (Sted/CG/Quick). Clemens playing slowed the progression of many players and put guys like CG in neutral. People look at our roster as if they don't expect any improvement. TA will be back. Would Watkins be nice? Sure. But he isn't the be all end all.
-LB we can still resign Dunbar, and many forget that the 3rd LB in the 4-3 only sees the field about 30-40% of the time in today's NFL. The nickel back is much more important to have

RamEERS

Pastor
i have this weird feeling that we'll grab robinson with our first pick and matthews will fall into our lap on the second pick........

fearsomefour

Legend
In reality Saffold was the best FA G out there. Schwartz would have been nice but he had a total of 19 starts in 4 years heading into last year. He replaced an injured guy (can't remember his name) in KC and hung onto the job. Solid guy. Would not classify him as a make or break G.
To me any guy we bring in at this point is a downgrade from Saffold. BUT....and it is a big but, would I take Wharton, Jerry and a resigned Williams for what Saffold cost? In a second.

laramsoriginal

Starter
The rams not only suffer from lack of talent on the OL but from actual OL on a contract.

Everyone can say the rams were smart by not paying this OL or that OL because of x and y reason so when Bradford is getting beat up and stacy is running for 2 yards and a cloud of dust what excuse will Snisher provide?

The rams let a lot of young OL sign elsewhere so the thinking has to be the status quo; sign a tier 3 OL to serve as a bandage while the young OL develop. If thats the case, hopefully the young OL is Robinson/Mathews and another OG in the 2nd round.

Fellas, the rams are competing in the NFCW, a patchwork OL, S, question mark at nickel back does not cut it!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The rams not only suffer from lack of talent on the OL but from actual OL on a contract.

Everyone can say the rams were smart by not paying this OL or that OL because of x and y reason so when Bradford is getting beat up and stacy is running for 2 yards and a cloud of dust what excuse will Snisher provide?

The rams let a lot of young OL sign elsewhere so the thinking has to be the status quo; sign a tier 3 OL to serve as a bandage while the young OL develop. If thats the case, hopefully the young OL is Robinson/Mathews and another OG in the 2nd round.

Fellas, the rams are competing in the NFCW, a patchwork OL, S, question mark at nickel back does not cut it!

everything you say is correct but i'm not gonna lose sleep over it now.

if the rams are in the same position after free agency and the draft then start to get worried.

until then i'll patiently wait to see what the rams have in mind regarding the oline.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
i have this weird feeling that we'll grab robinson with our first pick and matthews will fall into our lap on the second pick........
That would be awesome though I don't see it happening. If it did, I would be ecstatic. I think Sam would be uncorking champagne by the case too.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

In a way I agree. But I really think the Rams are just tipping their hand here and don't really mind doing it. They are likely going O-line heavy early in the draft and will look to lock up that unit with largely young talent. I DO think this is smart.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
One thing I will say is Boudreau is really good at getting OL who no one thought much of to play well. Look at what he did with Dahl (in the past) and Barksdale. He might believe that Jones or Barnes is ready to step up. I'm all but certain now that the Rams will be taking a OT who can play guard at #2. But we will have NO DEPTH at all on the O line and that is really, really scarey.

The Rams are essentially forced to take at least 2 OL in the first three rounds in order to fill spots. Well, we still need a CB, a FS and an OLB. How are we going to fill those spots? Not just that, but how is the team going to add depth?

I think Long is key, if he can get healthy, we draft Robinson/Matthews after a trade down and Yankey/Jackson/The UCLA guy who's name I can't spell in the second then we're not looking awful on the O line. If we do trade down then we can still address CB and FS in the first two rounds. Bring back Dunbar for OLB. We just need a WR, Eric Decker could be a nice option.

Or maybe we're screwed I haven't decided yet.