Ol

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Imo the way the Rams choose to address this position WILL make or break our season. For several years now our tackles have been solid in pass pro (2012-2013), but a weak interior has not allowed Sam or other QBs to step up to extend plays. These interior lines over the past 5 years have featured the likes of Bell, Brown, Goldberg, Ojinaka, Williams, Smith etc. One thing that stands out about all of them was that they weren't particularly physical either; which is why we have been so bad running the football in short yardage systems over the past 5 years. I think if the Rams could have run more w/o a FB last year they would have; I think Stacy can produce w/o one, but imo they used Harkey bc guys like Williams, Smmith, Barnes aren't the most physically imposing OLs. So here's MY take on how the Rams should approach guard.

1. Give Saffold a decent offer, but don't go overboard. If he doesn't bite, don't go out on a limb to bring him back. He WILL have other offers. (Let Williams & Smith walk; we can find better backups and/or potential starters in FA. They both had their chances to show what they had.)

2. Even IF Saffold likes the initial offer the Rams should still be looking elsewhere. What if the Rams can acquire a young talent or talents that have comparable upside to Roger w/o the LENGTHY injury history. I understand folks in Rams nation jizzed in their pants when they saw what Roger could do at OG, but don't let that lull you to sleep. Remember the EXTENSIVE injuries he's had over 4 years. Do you really want to go into 2014 with 2 of your 5 starters on the OL who are HIGHLY likely to NOT play all 16 games? Personally I'd go the cheaper route. And maybe with the extended cap we can add 2 young OGs in FA. My picks would be Asamoah from KC & Jerry from MIA.

3. With 2 potential starters added through FA the Rams shouldn't abandon OG. If there is a guard they like in rounds 2-4 grab him. Gabe Jackson would be a nice pickup in the mid rounds. I could also see us adding Greg Robinson OR Jake Matthews and having them battle for one of the guard spots. They can fill in for Long if he isn't ready week 1 and when he returns they can kick inside.

4. Cut/restructure Wells & CUT Dahl. Cap saved from cut/restructures with them allow us to add OL in FA.

So my DREAM OL scenario:

Before Long returns:

LT Robinson
LG Asamoah
C Wells
RG Jerry
RT Barksdale

After Long returns:

LT Long
LG Asamoah
C Wells
RG Robinson
RT Barksdale

We then let Long go in 2015 in favor of the cheaper, healthier, and more athletic Robinson. One this you notice about this OL aside from Wells is the YOUTH. But Wells will definitely be gone in 2015 if he doesn't leave this offseason, opening the doors for Barnes/Jones.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Imo the way the Rams choose to address this position WILL make or break our season. For several years now our tackles have been solid in pass pro (2012-2013), but a weak interior has not allowed Sam or other QBs to step up to extend plays. These interior lines over the past 5 years have featured the likes of Bell, Brown, Goldberg, Ojinaka, Williams, Smith etc. One thing that stands out about all of them was that they weren't particularly physical either; which is why we have been so bad running the football in short yardage systems over the past 5 years. I think if the Rams could have run more w/o a FB last year they would have; I think Stacy can produce w/o one, but imo they used Harkey bc guys like Williams, Smmith, Barnes aren't the most physically imposing OLs. So here's MY take on how the Rams should approach guard.

1. Give Saffold a decent offer, but don't go overboard. If he doesn't bite, don't go out on a limb to bring him back. He WILL have other offers. (Let Williams & Smith walk; we can find better backups and/or potential starters in FA. They both had their chances to show what they had.)

2. Even IF Saffold likes the initial offer the Rams should still be looking elsewhere. What if the Rams can acquire a young talent or talents that have comparable upside to Roger w/o the LENGTHY injury history. I understand folks in Rams nation jizzed in their pants when they saw what Roger could do at OG, but don't let that lull you to sleep. Remember the EXTENSIVE injuries he's had over 4 years. Do you really want to go into 2014 with 2 of your 5 starters on the OL who are HIGHLY likely to NOT play all 16 games? Personally I'd go the cheaper route. And maybe with the extended cap we can add 2 young OGs in FA. My picks would be Asamoah from KC & Jerry from MIA.

3. With 2 potential starters added through FA the Rams shouldn't abandon OG. If there is a guard they like in rounds 2-4 grab him. Gabe Jackson would be a nice pickup in the mid rounds. I could also see us adding Greg Robinson OR Jake Matthews and having them battle for one of the guard spots. They can fill in for Long if he isn't ready week 1 and when he returns they can kick inside.

4. Cut/restructure Wells & CUT Dahl. Cap saved from cut/restructures with them allow us to add OL in FA.

So my DREAM OL scenario:

Before Long returns:

LT Robinson
LG Asamoah
C Wells
RG Jerry
RT Barksdale

After Long returns:

LT Long
LG Asamoah
C Wells
RG Robinson
RT Barksdale

We then let Long go in 2015 in favor of the cheaper, healthier, and more athletic Robinson. One this you notice about this OL aside from Wells is the YOUTH. But Wells will definitely be gone in 2015 if he doesn't leave this offseason, opening the doors for Barnes/Jones.
I like the premise but a BIG "no thank you" from me on John Jerry. Besides the fact that his play was mediocre, at best, he brings with him a boatload of baggage from the "bullying" incident in MIA. I'd much rather pool that money and go after Mack at C. He really seems to want out of CLE so we may be able to afford to sign him and Saffold. Draft Robinson or Matthews and my game one OL would be:

LT - Robinson/Matthews
LG - Jones
C - Mack
RG - Saffold
LT - Barksdale

after Long returns:

LT - Long
LG - Robinson
C - Mack
RG - Saffold
LT - Barksdale

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
These interior lines over the past 5 years have featured the likes of Bell, Brown, Goldberg, Ojinaka, Williams, Smith etc.

Puts it into perspective when Goldberg tops that list IMO by quite a margin. I know that is a limited list but it still says a lot.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like the premise but a BIG "no thank you" from me on John Jerry. Besides the fact that his play was mediocre, at best, he brings with him a boatload of baggage from the "bullying" incident in MIA. I'd much rather pool that money and go after Mack at C. He really seems to want out of CLE so we may be able to afford to sign him and Saffold. Draft Robinson or Matthews and my game one OL would be:

LT - Robinson/Matthews
LG - Jones
C - Mack
RG - Saffold
LT - Barksdale

after Long returns:

LT - Long
LG - Robinson
C - Mack
RG - Saffold
LT - Barksdale

I understand the concern surrounding the off field stuff with Jerry, but he does have some potential. Essentially he could be like a Chris Williams signing, low risk high reward, and maybe Bou can work his magic on him like he did with Joe. Jerry would compete for a starting guard spot when Long is out, and we be primarily a backup when Long returns.

I'd be fine with the scenario of drafting a OG in addition to adding a starter through FA. I like Yankey, Jackson, and some others. Usually guards are some of the best value picks in the draft because starters are consistently found in the mid rounds.

And what's with everyone assuming Jones will be ready to start at ANY position, let alone guard. Its like hoping for Quick to develop into a starter; it may happen, but we can't bank on it.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Puts it into perspective when Goldberg tops that list IMO by quite a margin. I know that is a limited list but it still says a lot.

Ojinaka was pretty weak too. Bell was soft and Williams didn't have the feet.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I understand the need for acquiring some help for the O-line but didn't we have one of the better rushing attacks during the second half of the season? I trust Boudreau to get the best out of what we will eventually have on the roster. Getting a guard would be a good idea though. I guess my desire to pick Clowney, get a top notch safety and cornerback either through the draft or FA, and to have the scariest defense in the NFL is overriding my common sense. Forgive me. ;)

There's definitely some merit to your argument Prime. While we could put all of our resources into upgrading the OL & WR positions this offseason, we could also add 2 more pieces to our D and we could become dominant. And when I say dominant, I mean taking over games. Consistently holding opponents under 20. It takes pressure off the O knowing they don't have to put up 30 or make no mistakes. Just look at Seattle. They have a dominant D 1 through 11. In turn they have an ok offense, that often doesn't need to score over 20. I can't argue with Ram fans who want Clowney or Khalil Mack, or Verner in FA. Our D would be too talented to be inconsistent.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame

LT - Robinson/Matthews
LG - Jones
C - Mack
RG - Saffold
LT - Barksdale

after Long returns:

LT - Long
LG - Robinson
C - Mack
RG - Saffold
LT - Barksdale

it can also look like this without Saffold but still grab Mack

LT - Long
LG - Jones or Barks
C - Mack
RG - Jones or Barks
RT - Robinson

With Jones versatility he can play any of the OL positions

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I understand the need for acquiring some help for the O-line but didn't we have one of the better rushing attacks during the second half of the season? I trust Boudreau to get the best out of what we will eventually have on the roster. Getting a guard would be a good idea though. I guess my desire to pick Clowney, get a top notch safety and cornerback either through the draft or FA, and to have the scariest defense in the NFL is overriding my common sense. Forgive me. ;)
Common sense? You're a fan. Do we really have to have common sense here too?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

So my DREAM OL scenario:

Before Long returns:

LT Robinson
LG Asamoah
C Wells
RG Jerry
RT Barksdale

After Long returns:

LT Long
LG Asamoah
C Wells
RG Robinson
RT Barksdale

Sign me up.
I have no faith in Saffold playing a full season anywhere on the line. If we re-sign him to big money we'll have the greatest group of expensive, fragile OLinemen in the league. No thanks.

I share your thoughts about drafting one of the premiere OT's and letting them start inside for a year or two(when Long's back completely gives out).
My only thing is...i really don't want S.Wells here next season. He isn't what we need at Center in this smash mouth division. I pray that Barrett Jones will be ready SOON.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
it can also look like this without Saffold but still grab Mack

LT - Long
LG - Jones or Barks
C - Mack
RG - Jones or Barks
RT - Robinson

With Jones versatility he can play any of the OL positions
I could live with this line up but would prefer to see Robinson paired up with Long on the left side and leave Barksdale at RT. That would only have one player playing a new position and would make for a smoother transition for Robinson to slide out to LT when Long is done, IMO. In this scenario I would still like to see up pick up some depth at G in the later rounds.