OL Run Game vs Seattle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Wow! Great job, Merlin.

Hard to argue now that Blythe is not the current weak link.

I guess oldnotdead was all over this and I owe him an apology.

The good news is that Snead/McVay/Kromer are also aware and are making plans for C in ‘20.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Remarkable job. It is really cool watching these plays broken down like this.

I thought it "seemed" Whit was coming around, and these plays show that in spades. I'm not asking for you to break down some of the passing plays, but looking at the film, how is Whit performing irt pass protection?
EDIT: Crap just realized you were asking about Whit. He's right where he was last year tbh. Very close to that to my eye.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure what you mean.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Same drive and after overcoming a holding call on Whit...

Situation:
View attachment 32725

Pre-snap 12 personnel, balanced set, JRey in motion:
View attachment 32726

At the snap the fake handoff to JRey is ignored by the off ball LBs, looks like Barton (57) had responsibility for it. Zone action to the right and everyone is on their assignment things look good:
View attachment 32727

At the handoff Blythe actually gets a little push going vs Reed (91). Whit's having trouble with Clowney reads the motion and is crashing in. But that right side and Blythe have created a real nice hole for TG:
View attachment 32728

Blythe loses Reed who forces a cutback. Boy if Blythe can stay on him here looky at that green:
View attachment 32729

7 yard gain:
View attachment 32731
First, THESE are Awesome pics thanks so much!!!
When I think of what Edwards brings, this is the play.
It sounds like Corbett is 'ok'....I hope he can play center or something....really dont' want him at guard.

Can Corbett play center?

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Awesome thread, thanks for the effort of putting this together.

Wasnt the knock on Sully towards the end of last year his strength? Super smart dude but got outclassed physically? Seems like Blythe is just a cheaper version of Sully.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Gonna wrap things up there. Thoughts:

1. Center is our biggest need irt basic execution of this scheme in the run game.

2. Some of those plays would have been huge gainers if Blythe had been able to execute to the level of the players around him. In other words, if you inserted a good Center in there this line would blow people off the ball.

3. I love the additional edge options the 12 personnel looks give Gurley, who is a natural talent in terms of bouncing the ball outside. It favors his skill set.

4. Our TEs are very good in the run game. Higs has been blocking well for a while now but Mundt has really come on and/or taken advantage of the opportunity.

5. Whit is playing at last year's level now, or so damn close it's a wash.

6. Those two rookie OL on the right side are for real in the run game. This is not a mirage.

7. Run game should be there vs Dallas, barring us falling behind due to the defense being flat.

EDIT: oh and...

8. Corbett was a goddamn amazing find. WTF were the Browns thinking.
I said it when we got him and I'll say it again now: the kids has talent and the Browns won't stand for that shit on their team. Talented players must go.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
Gonna wrap things up there. Thoughts:

1. Center is our biggest need irt basic execution of this scheme in the run game.

2. Some of those plays would have been huge gainers if Blythe had been able to execute to the level of the players around him. In other words, if you inserted a good Center in there this line would blow people off the ball.

3. I love the additional edge options the 12 personnel looks give Gurley, who is a natural talent in terms of bouncing the ball outside. It favors his skill set.

4. Our TEs are very good in the run game. Higs has been blocking well for a while now but Mundt has really come on and/or taken advantage of the opportunity.

5. Whit is playing at last year's level now, or so damn close it's a wash.

6. Those two rookie OL on the right side are for real in the run game. This is not a mirage.

7. Run game should be there vs Dallas, barring us falling behind due to the defense being flat.

EDIT: oh and...

8. Corbett was a goddamn amazing find. WTF were the Browns thinking.

Great synopsis. I've noticed Whit really come on too. I think he can play 2 more years if he wants. Corbett was probably miscast in Cleveland. He does look like a steal!

Ram65

Legend
Great effort@Merlin with interesting results. This makes me feel a whole lot better about the Rams offense moving forward the rest of this year and next year. If Whit comes back the Rams need to find a bigger/stronger Center. I want to see more success for the offensive line. The Hags aren't the best upfront but, the LBers are very good.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First, THESE are Awesome pics thanks so much!!!
When I think of what Edwards brings, this is the play.
It sounds like Corbett is 'ok'....I hope he can play center or something....really dont' want him at guard.

Can Corbett play center?
I don't know if Corbett can play Center. Some here have alluded to that, so maybe. I feel like the determining factor would be the calls, so if he can figure out the calls and whatnot I would think he would be in the mix.

But you know you can usually find centers into most drafts. They tend to be smaller and smarter types and thus fall a bit. So I would think this draft they get after one for competition at the least.

Wasnt the knock on Sully towards the end of last year his strength? Super smart dude but got outclassed physically? Seems like Blythe is just a cheaper version of Sully.
It definitely was the knock on him. But remember Sully only got outclassed vs the best interior DL, vs the rest he was solid.

I like Blythe and all (good team guy who helped us a lot when we needed it and he's been a good leader at the pivot) but he's just not physically up to snuff for this level. Have to think the Rams are planning accordingly.

Lastly keep an eye on Shelton. If and when we drop out of the playoff race I would think they insert him and see what he can do. He's stronger than Blythe I just presume he doesn't have the calls and leadership side down.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
It's hard to argue that Blythe is not the weak link, but I still like him. He's a good team guy and very versatile. Injuries are inevitable in the NFL, especially in the trenches. Do not underestimate the value of a player who can play multiple positions at a decent level on the o-line. The salary cap mandates that not every player on the roster can be a Pro Bowler. Blythe is a UFA after this season, I believe. If at all possible, I would like to keep him around for depth. But I doubt his salary demands will make that feasible. This might be his last year in Horns, particularly if Snead can keep finding o-line talent via the draft and turning other teams' cast-offs into productive players. With Corbett, Evans, and Edwards, it suddenly seems like the Rams are capable of identifying talent on the offensive line. Even Blythe himself was a cast-off that the Rams turned into a very solid contributor. With so many teams desperate for o-line help, I am sure someone will offer Blythe a starting position with the salary to match, if the Rams don't and seek to move on/upgrade.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do not underestimate the value of a player who can play multiple positions at a decent level on the o-line. The salary cap mandates that not every player on the roster can be a Pro Bowler. Blythe is a UFA after this season, I believe. If at all possible, I would like to keep him around for depth. But I doubt his salary demands will make that feasible.
I agree with you. I think it would be nice to retain him if they can get him to sign at an affordable number but they need to figure Whit out and FA in general might eat up salary space quickly if they add someone.

Will Whit take a cheap deal? Will Blythe take a cheap deal where he might be depth? Will Castonzo or Scherff hit the market (those are my two targets in FA). There's a lot of variables.

IMO Center will be addressed in the draft and that addition will duke it out with Allen and maybe Blythe if they can lock him up cheap.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
After a couple of nice pass completions the Rams find themselves in Seattle territory here...

Situation:
View attachment 32672

Pre-snap we see 12 personnel again and another loaded left side:
View attachment 32673

At the snap Ford (97) hits the A gap a bit harder this time (they know where it's going) and Corbett assists Blythe but will peel off to take Wright (50). Same blocking assignments left side with Higs taking Wagner and Mundt taking Barton:
View attachment 32674

At the handoff Corbett is peeling off Ford to take the LB. Whit's about to throw Jackson (93) to the ground with some wrestling technique ( :LOL: ). Things look promising:
View attachment 32676

As Gurley approaches the LOS Whit's making a pancake and it looks like the lane will be that B gap between Corbett & Whit:
View attachment 32677

Not sure why TG doesn't hit the B gap here, have to think he could get a few yards putting the shoulder into 50 or into the A gap but he takes it wide into the pile that forms around the TEs:
View attachment 32678

One yard gainer and some cred to the Seahawks backers:
View attachment 32679
Wright and Wagner are good backers

nice job with the thread, Merlin.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
I agree with you. I think it would be nice to retain him if they can get him to sign at an affordable number but they need to figure Whit out and FA in general might eat up salary space quickly if they add someone.

Will Whit take a cheap deal? Will Blythe take a cheap deal where he might be depth? Will Castonzo or Scherff hit the market (those are my two targets in FA). There's a lot of variables.

IMO Center will be addressed in the draft and that addition will duke it out with Allen and maybe Blythe if they can lock him up cheap.

Blythe seems to be getting bullied a bit more this year than last. Possible he's playing through some injury?

I think he's a must to resign, if anything as a versatile swing man across the interior. Seems he has the football IQ also, maybe they can work hard and get him a bit stronger.

These snapshots are eye opening, Merlin. Didn't realize he was getting pushed around so regularly, although it can be hidden a bit better at Center. May explain why Havenstein looked so bad at RT.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

your post & time spent we’re spectacular!!

that said I think you Contradict yourself in Blythe. If the Center you like as a backup is already on the roster why even venture picking up a Center ??
Was not a fan of the Allen draft pick because of the center situation. Sullivan & Blythe still should be the 2 swing guys.
Allen & his future ?? I guess I never have broke him down much because he was next to Blythe & they did not play in the preseason. Early in the season he did ok, but Big Hav & Blythe we’re having problems as well ??
My point is The Rams don’t need to draft an Offensive lineman. If Whit goes then that is going to be a Huge loss. I think Noteboom finds his way into the mix next season somewhere on the line.
All your photos show how deep The Rams depth is at this point. Kromer will keep these players ascending!!

thanks for your breakdown

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
that said I think you Contradict yourself in Blythe. If the Center you like as a backup is already on the roster why even venture picking up a Center ??
Yeah it is a bit of a contradiction but the answer is competition. I think giving Allen and Noteboom the two jobs without competition or snaps in preseason was the root of a lot of problems up front. Whatever happens though I do think they draft someone they really like at the pivot and then let the competition determine who wins the job.

That's my hope at least.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Great work, Merlin.
Appreciate it.

It looks like we need to find a center this off-season. We're looking much better at guard then we were 6 weeks ago.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah it is a bit of a contradiction but the answer is competition. I think giving Allen and Noteboom the two jobs without competition or snaps in preseason was the root of a lot of problems up front. Whatever happens though I do think they draft someone they really like at the pivot and then let the competition determine who wins the job. Get

That's my hope at least.

I agree to the point of Kromer & the scouts.Kromer has done an excellent job
Scouting & coaching up this group..I think
he they try as much in house to develop what they have.
Allen is the key ?? I don’t know if he is the answer moving forward.Bylthe has been the weak link,but it center shouldn’t be the issue ??
Kromer first year The Rams did not draft any offensive lineman. Draft picks are scarce, so unless there is somebody that Kromer totally likes and thinks it’s better than what he has on his roster will only use that resource. This group is showing it is solid And it will be hard to find more talent in the draft.

Last edited: