OL Free Agents

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm reading better reports on Kolone than some of the others, so unless something changes in the next two weeks, and it very well may, right now i'm inclined to keep Kolone over Demby. I'd rather have Kolone take over RG and move Blythe to center, then place a call to Sullivan until Neary can come back from his 4 game 'absence'.

It would not be all of a surprise to me if he did beat out Demby.

I know your knowledgeable of this but it might need repeating mostly for myself ...Kolone had a season with XFL starting @ center after he was released by the Rams when the regular season began. Jeremiah Kolone has been swinging between the two OG posts & has played better than Demby IMO.

Kolone's feet are slow for Kromer's Outside Zone Blocking Scheme, but he offers some more power that rookie Bobby Evans & Jamil Demby have exhibited @ the OG posts in the two preseason games. You might be able to share more information as to what JK looked like early in camp.

This is JK's second TC & preseason with Kromer, so he's not an unknown. Another thing is JK has a very strong college resume starting for long long time mostly @ LG but has some center events too. Kromer is dealing with a total lack of experience with this 2019 cadre that I might have overlooked what experience JK has is a rare commodity at this time especially with Aaron Neary out the picture for one month. My main issue with JK is......falls off his blocks early & spends a bit too much time on the ground.

Fact is Kromers needs OG's & JK fills that order. Since he has some OC experience would benefit him greatly. We may very well see him @ OC Saturday evening.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
The market is a week away from having a supply of 1000+ Players to meet a relatively small demand for said players.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
This is the most likely road forward.
However watched a bit of late second half action of the Vikings vs Seahawks and both backup Viking Gs looked better than Demby.
That said.....and this is the part that’s easy to forget to figure in....scheme fit. A guy could look good run blocking in one scheme and not be a fit in another.

Which implies that we might be able to find a roster cut from another team that will be a better fit than Demby? I didn't see his play. The word 'failure' in red sure made an impression.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I think the Rams could go with three rookies in Brewer, Evans, and Edwards and let Blythe be their primary backup at center. If a decent C/G prospect(or vet) shakes free after cut down then they can add him and that will be their 9th. Edwards has shown enough to be one of the game day actives but Evans and Brewer are essentially in a red shirt year unless disaster strikes.

Note: I really like the Brewer Kid, I think he has a lot of upside. Playing though the cancer and chemo treatment he went though really impresses me. That shows me he has both mental and physical toughness needed for the trenches.

fearsomefour

Legend
Which implies that we might be able to find a roster cut from another team that will be a better fit than Demby? I didn't see his play. The word 'failure' in red sure made an impression.
He wasn’t good.
But still has time to try and do something.
Whether the team signed a depth cut from another team likely would be a mix of perceived skill and scheme match.
Three are for sure makes....the two drafted tackles and Neary.
Brewer maybe as well. But he may end up on the practice squad.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Chandler Brewer cancer event last season was one of great seriousness non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

CB has been working FOUR of Kromers OL posts. Swing OT & OG posts. CB is more of a mauler type & those long arms do help him out @ both OT posts but Kromer needs OG's. CB is close to 6-6 & over 320 lbs. In the two preseason games CB performance @ all F O U R posts was very solid coming from a UDFA from Middle Tennessee State in comparison to other Ram drafted OL'ers like Demby & Evans.

From my limited ability to grade Kromers OL'ers on general skills & abilities demonstrated during two preseason games....my list @ this time would look like this:

#6-Neary OG/OC
#7-Edwards
#8-Brewer
#9-Evans
#10-Kolone OG
/OC

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
#6-Neary OG/OC
#7-Edwards
#8-Brewer
#9-Evans
#10-Kolone OG
/OC
Pretty sure Evans is going to make this team because he was a round 3 pick and he has played well enough on the right side to not be cut. That upside will keep him in a job for at least his first year. He's basically 8th on the roster IMO, given that Neary is undoubtedly ahead of him (i.e. 7th).

Edwards seems to be the unofficial 6th OL. Not as polished as Boom was but smart and will improve week to week with the "veteran off day" program because he'll get snaps. What I'm wondering is whether they'll keep working him at LT. Would really like to see him play some more OG and get him focused in there for those backup duties come the season assuming that's what he'll be doing.

That 9th spot is the one up for grabs and whoever comes in second probably gets the 4 week job while Neary is out. For me right now Brewer is the 9th OL but this next game can easily change that. My 10th OL (and the guy who will get the last spot while Neary is out IF the Rams do that) is Hrynk because he insulates us at the Center position for that four weeks. He's been pretty solid and looking forward to watching both him and Brewer in this next game.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This is closer to my thinking until Neary completes his 4 week suspension :

OL (8)
In: Andrew Whitworth, Rob Havenstein, Joseph Noteboom, Brian Allen, Austin Blythe, Bobby Evans (rookie), David Edwards (rookie), Jeremiah Kolone

Out: Jamil Demby, Chandler Brewer (UDFA), Vitas Hrynkiewicz (UDFA), Brandon Hitner (UDFA), Matt Kaskey (UDFA)
Suspended: Aaron Neary
Changes from last projection: Neary SUSPENDED, Kolone IN, Demby OUT

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Watch and see which players after the cut down time some teams might try and sneak onto the Practice Squad hoping no one will scoop them up. Maybe the Rams will see someone they like. It also will give the Rams a better idea who might be available for trade If they choose to go that route.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This is closer to my thinking until Neary completes his 4 week suspension :

OL (8)
In: Andrew Whitworth, Rob Havenstein, Joseph Noteboom, Brian Allen, Austin Blythe, Bobby Evans (rookie), David Edwards (rookie), Jeremiah Kolone

I did not think that Kolone played much better, but at the very minimum he did play multiple games at Center playing for San Jose State, so I'm sure he would be a better option then Demby, but as this juncture I am a better option then Demby.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You got any video proof.:cool:
1566580783130.png

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Pretty sure Evans is going to make this team because he was a round 3 pick and he has played well enough on the right side to not be cut. That upside will keep him in a job for at least his first year. He's basically 8th on the roster IMO, given that Neary is undoubtedly ahead of him (i.e. 7th).

Edwards seems to be the unofficial 6th OL. Not as polished as Boom was but smart and will improve week to week with the "veteran off day" program because he'll get snaps. What I'm wondering is whether they'll keep working him at LT. Would really like to see him play some more OG and get him focused in there for those backup duties come the season assuming that's what he'll be doing.

That 9th spot is the one up for grabs and whoever comes in second probably gets the 4 week job while Neary is out. For me right now Brewer is the 9th OL but this next game can easily change that. My 10th OL (and the guy who will get the last spot while Neary is out IF the Rams do that) is Hrynk because he insulates us at the Center position for that four weeks. He's been pretty solid and looking forward to watching both him and Brewer in this next game.
Edwards {LT/RT/LG} #6 without Neary in consideration. Neary would have to be a game time active with rookie Edwards.

Neary has been here with Kromer since Kromer arrived & offers up some experience @ OC/RG/LG. Edwards looks excellent but still is a rookie. Neary's 3 NFL training camps & now in his 3rd preseason along with 2 full seasons on & off the active roster & Practice squad is highly valued now with all these OL with no NFL experiences.

Evans vs Brewer.....no contest, Brewer has played better but there no big draft investment in UDFA Brewer, so I see why many would consider him a #9.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I did not think that Kolone played much better, but at the very minimum he did play multiple games at Center playing for San Jose State, so I'm sure he would be a better option then Demby, but as this juncture I am a better option then Demby.
Did you forget about JK being Mike Martz starting center for the SD Fleet XFL last season?.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
How are our new starters looking? The depth chart is beyond my understanding.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How are our new starters looking? The depth chart is beyond my understanding.
Starting OLine hasn't had a snap in a game but they've done well by reports in practice and the scrimmages.