OL Coleman Shelton

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think that since Demby projects as one of the two reserves active on game day he needs to be able to play center as an emergency replacement. He's obviously not a starter at that position so they need someone who could fill in as a replacement starter over a longer-term. That's what this signifies to me anyway.

Coleman could play OG as well and could be a replacement for Demby on game day if he doesn't work out. I think they are simply covering the bases with guys that can play multiple positions.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I wonder how this affects Jamil Demby? He was getting all the 3rd team center action early behind Neary & Allen. Is Demby feeling relief that Kromer has brought in a pure center type? Just my opinion here on Demby @ center .......was not going to happen. If there was a need Demby to starting RG & Blythe to OC.

Coleman Shelton sounds like an Austin Blythe clone to me. Blythe is listed @ 6-3/298 Shelton 6-3/299. Blythe played all over the Iowa OL same as Shelton did for Washington. Kromer got real lucky with the dinky Blythe maybe he strikes sliver again here with Shelton? Kromer's scheme usually can make do with OL'ers like Blythe & Shelton @ the interior....usually:oops:.

What does this say about Kolone chances @ 53 player roster material? Kolone had a lot more football starting experience in college & with two preseasons with Kromer & a season as a starter with the SD Fleet @ center?

Shelton not exactly the veteran OL'er most were thinking of here. He has 3 preseason starts under his belt, no regular seasons action.

The 6-6/320 plus pound Rookie UDFS Chandler Brewer outperformed Demby by a large degree @ both OG posts. Brewer's time table @ RG might be just around the bye......... ;)

Management obviously preferred Kolone over Hrynkiewicz, both were covering the same dual roles, and while it's early yet, should Demby be dropped and get thru waivers, it will be interesting to see who gets bumped off the current practice squad, if anyone. The Rams could more easily go with an 8 man OL if they now have that kind of confidence in Shelton, and open a roster spot elsewhere.
Blythe's frame may not allow for much more growth, and without having seen Shelton yet, I don't know if it's the same for him, but from what i'm reading, if Coleman Shelton can add another 10-15lbs. of upper body muscle strength, he may have a nice future here. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I agree that the Rams used Demby for cover at LT, as Edwards was the only real alternative in order to keep the starters out, but i'd have to disagree at OC/OG where I believe McVay's/Kromer's propensity for cross training was right in line with Demby's further development. jmo.

Last edited:

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
if Coleman Shelton can add another 10-15lbs. of upper body muscle strength, he may have a nice future here. jmo.

Wouldn't he have done that by now though? He's been in the league over a year with that being the knock on him....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Wouldn't he have done that by now though? He's been in the league over a year with that being the knock on him....

You would think so, maybe he just wasn't receiving great hands-on or individual treatment from his strength & conditioning coaches. If so, hopefully Ted Rath gets that turned around. I can only speculate, but if Kromer likes him as a project, who am I to argue ?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

And i'm not saying that you did mention Demby at LT. I mentioned him their because you implied that the Rams didn't have Demby in consideration for a back-up role at Center, where I believe they didn't have him in consideration as a LT, ... but did as a center. If Denby's only role is as an OG, that would seem to go against the teams penchant for cross-training their reserve offensive linemen. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I'm with you on that. My preference is definitely with Brewer if they are going to keep 9 OL. jmo.

oldnotdead

Legend
Think of Demby as a bandaid. Something you slap on to stop the bleeding. Long term I think thats where Brewer at OG and Shelton at C come into play. Since they are normally only going to dress 7 o-line on game day Demby covers the inside with Edwards backs up the OT.

Name
Coleman
bullcrap - you just like his name. :p
Well, I won't deny that Coleman is a fairly stellar name for a guy. eh! ;)

BTW, a few days after our Annual Pre-Rams Draft Meeting last April at your PT Pub in Henderson, the Canuck family met Ron Jaworski the former Rams QB at Oscar's Steakhouse, in the Plaza Hotel, Fremont Street, Old Las Vegas. Write-up for your reading enjoyment sir is
.....on Page 3 at RAMS FANS UNITED...
….the thread title is
CANUCK MEETS FELLOW EAST EUROPEAN IN VEGAS

Enjoy the read my friend!!

Also, are you going to the Rams game in Arizona this year? Let me know.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Unfortunately, not everybody can naturally add on that much muscle - it's not really natural. That's why some rely on steroids to add on those few extra pounds of muscle. He may just be somebody who genetically can't quite add on enough muscle to be up to NFL standards. We'll see if he can with state of the art training and allowable supplements.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Well, I won't deny that Coleman is a fairly stellar name for a guy. eh! ;)

BTW, a few days after our Annual Pre-Rams Draft Meeting last April at your PT Pub in Henderson, the Canuck family met Ron Jaworski the former Rams QB at Oscar's Steakhouse, in the Plaza Hotel, Fremont Street, Old Las Vegas. Write-up for your reading enjoyment sir is
.....on Page 3 at RAMS FANS UNITED...
….the thread title is
CANUCK MEETS FELLOW EAST EUROPEAN IN VEGAS

Enjoy the read my friend!!

Also, are you going to the Rams game in Arizona this year? Let me know.

Read it - very cool.

I might could be talked into it.
Been to 6 games there and always enjoyed it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Shelton hasn't improved his strength since college, then it's likely just a stop gap until Neary returns.

Lacking strength when a guy plays for a Big School like Washington is always a mystery to me. He had access to everything he needed to get stronger, and I'm certain he was aware of the weak points in his game. So, did he not like to put in the work? Or is he one of these guys that are at their ceiling?

Either way, I doubt he sticks for more than four weeks.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Just read that the Rams put Lawler on IR and Signed C/OG Coleman Shelton. If true, can he (Coleman) help or can we expect him to get moved soon?

Sounds like cut after 4 games when they can add Neary back to active roster. My guess

oldnotdead

Legend
I think you overrate Neary. He's a marginal player at best. If he was that good would he have been on 4 teams in 3 years and end up suspended?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think you overrate Neary. He's a marginal player at best. If he was that good would he have been on 4 teams in 3 years and end up suspended?

Then why not just release him?

I am by no means saying Neary is great. Our backup center position is bad imo. I’m even worried about our starting center, until I see Allen play in a few games. I have my doubts. I was hoping they would draft a center to compete for the starting job, then the loser takes over for Blythe, or is a backup. Other than Edwards, and maybe Brewer, the Rams backups on the line didn’t look so good in preseason. But Neary actually did look better than most of the other options.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then why not just release him?

Why would they before he comes back?

They don't pay him during the suspension. By keeping him until he comes back they have insurance in case some other OL gets injured, without paying a penny. Then they can cut him if they don't need him.