Okoronkwo ready for larger role on defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Og Okoronkwo has much more pass rushing DL'er in him than OLB'er. Hard for me to see thus far a complete 34 D OLB'er in this new defense.

But he is in his 3rd season now & I would expect him to get plenty of snaps @ the 5 tech & 3 tech DL posts in most all passing situations. In addition, see him getting snaps on both sides @ OLB'er as the first off the bench for the starters.

I do not expect him take Ebukam's starting post away from him nor do I see him as the starter in the Dante Fowler Jr post where the 10 million LB Floyd is slated to play.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
We're definitely going to need at least one these guys to emerge quickly as a dynamic pass rusher. Obo, Lewis, Polite.

Ram65

Legend
Og Okoronkwo has much more pass rushing DL'er in him than OLB'er. Hard for me to see thus far a complete 34 D OLB'er in this new defense.

But he is in his 3rd season now & I would expect him to get plenty of snaps @ the 5 tech & 3 tech DL posts in most all passing situations. In addition, see him getting snaps on both sides @ OLB'er as the first off the bench for the starters.

I do not expect him take Ebukam's starting post away from him nor do I see him as the starter in the Dante Fowler Jr post where the 10 million LB Floyd is slated to play.

Floyd is not taking Fowler's spot. He will be taking Matthews' spot on the strong side playing the run and in coverage more than pass rushing every down. While Staley wants to mix the pass rush up so Floyd will pass rush on some occasions. This is important as that leaves the pass rush OLber/Edge spot open. Here is the article on Floyd's future position with the Rams.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Leonard Floyd hopes his versatility helps Rams 'dominate on defense'
usatsi_14193047.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

May 12, 2020 8:47 am ET
The Los Angeles Rams desperately needed pass-rush help this offseason after losing Dante Fowler Jr. in free agency and cutting Clay Matthews. Shortly after Fowler agreed to terms with the Falcons, Floyd did the same with the Rams.

Floyd and Fowler aren’t necessarily the same types of players, though. Although both came to the Rams after disappointing starts to their careers as pass rushers, they have different skill sets.

Floyd is more of a strongside linebacker who sets the run well and drops into coverage against running backs and tight ends. Fowler rarely dropped into coverage with the Rams, typically rushing the quarterback from the weakside.

Floyd hopes his versatility becomes an asset for the Rams and helps them dominate defensively.
“I’m a guy that can do more than one thing on the field,” Floyd said on a conference call Monday. “I can set the edge in the run. I can drop in coverage, and I’m coming to LA to continue to work on my pass rush, to elevate that even more.”

While fans will expect Floyd to be a one-for-one replacement for Fowler, the young linebacker doesn’t see it that way. He said he doesn’t “feel pressure to match his level” and simply wants to play his own game, doing what it takes to help the Rams improve.

“I just want to come in and play at my level and try to help the team win games and try to dominate on defense,” Floyd said.
Part of the reason Floyd already feels somewhat comfortable in L.A. because of his reunion with defensive coordinator Brandon Staley. He praised Staley on the call, complimenting his energy as a coach.

That’ll be a different feeling for Rams players, who have been accustom to Wade Phillips’ laid-back approach for the last three years.

Floyd has never had more than seven sacks in a season as a pro and has seen his total decrease with each passing year. He had just three in 2019, but with Staley back as his coach again and Aaron Donald also rushing the quarterback alongside him, Floyd could be in for a career year – just as Fowler had in his first full season with the Rams.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

It may surprise posters that Ebukam played nearly as many snaps as Matthews last year. Matthews just under 56% with Ebu at 51%. Fowler was at 83% Obo was just over 10%.

My guess has been that Ebu starts in place of Fowler. While Ebu is not the pass rusher that Fowler was he can drop back into coverage allowing Floyd, a CB or safety to pass rush on occasions. This gives Staley is versatility he wants. There will be opportunities for Obo, Lewis and Polite to com in a rush the passer on 3rd downs and give Ebu a rest. I expect Fowler to move int he middle on 3rd downs playing Littleton's spot.

I originally came back into this thread because it looks like Obo is ready to take the next step and be a difference-maker. He has good football sense and if he can pass rush and cover he will get more and more playing time. I expect him to make a difference in getting to the QB. He looked good in his limited playing time. Here a link about Ebu.