Okoronkwo ready for larger role on defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Rams Ogbonnia Okoronkwo ready for larger role on defense

As the LA Rams sat down to plan for the 2020 NFL season and reviewed all the players on the roster who would contribute to the team’s success this year, OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo‘s name most certainly came up in the conversation. After all, here was a player who saw action on just 115 defensive snaps in 2019, and recorded 1.5 sacks, 4 quarterback hits, and seven tackles as a result. What could happen if he saw more action in 2020? We may soon find out.

After all, he was the 160th player selected from the 2018 NFL Draft. He underwent foot surgery in May of 2018, and his rehab required more time than originally expected. That resulted in the team placing him on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list to begin that 2018 season. He recovered in time, but not soon enough to play that season. Instead, he was activated in 2019.

Oh Oh, here he comes again!

At 6-foot-2 and 253-pounds, Okoronkwo is a compact guy who excels at getting excellent leverage and can pivot the hairpin turn around blockers to get to the quarterback. His pass rush off the edge is very similar to that of 6-foot-2 269-pound defensive end Brandon Graham. And much like Graham’s early years, he is making the most of limited opportunities. But he continues to work out viciously, not only improving his strength and size, but improving his balance, footwork, and all-important handwork:

View: https://twitter.com/coachbtjordan/status/1263169428369428480?s=21

He is prepared to step up for the team when he is given his next opportunity to make plays. In all of the conversations about the team’s outside linebackers of Leonard Floyd, Terrell Lewis, and Samson Ebukam, Okoronkwo is frequently overlooked. While he is a returning veteran, the Rams had only afforded him a few defensive snaps, and about a third of the special team snaps last year.

Ok Ok, time to play!

That will likely change this year. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo had been smoldering for the Rams defense in 2019, but in each appearance on defense, a sudden burst into a red hot player would have surprised nobody. He flashed on October 27, 2019, when he chalked up 1.5 sacks in one game. The Rams defeated an outgunned Cincinnati Bengals on that Sunday afternoon, but the flame-up of Okorankwo never happened after that for the rest of the 2019 season.

That changes in 2020. The new Rams defensive philosophy, set by new defensive coordinator Brandon Staley, is to use deception to outsmart opposing offenses. That not only opens the door for a big season for Okoronkwo, it literally kicks the door in. While the Rams give snaps on one side to the rookie Lewis, Oko will pick up snaps on the other side. Of the four, offenses will be most likely to underestimate the impact of Oko on defense. What will that mean in terms of stats? If Oko gets 350 defensive snaps, he could be in the five sack range with 25-30 tackles. That would be a huge season for his third NFL season, and just second year getting snaps. It would also be huge for the LA Rams defense this year.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Want him to do well just so I can harass my wife about pronouncing his name correctly.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I thought he was an absolute steal where we drafted him

If he can stay on the field he will shine

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
When Okoronkwo is on the field, he seems to rush the passer extremely well and was very close many times to getting sacks. IMO, giving Obo more of an opportunity, should result in more pressures, not sure how he will play as an every down OLB, but I would like to see him on one side and Terrell Lewis on the other on 3rd and long and see what happens.

1594128226888.png

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
When Okoronkwo is on the field, he seems to rush the passer extremely well and was very close many times to getting sacks. IMO, giving Obo more of an opportunity, should result in more pressures, not sure how he will play as an every down OLB, but I would like to see him on one side and Terrell Lewis on the other on 3rd and long and see what happens.

View attachment 37248
I like that. Ebukam and Floyd on running downs, and Lewis and Obo on passing downs. Our OLB depth has potential.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I like that. Ebukam and Floyd on running downs, and Lewis and Obo on passing downs. Our OLB depth has potential.

Out of all our position groups, I think I'm most excited about the upside of our young OLBs. Floyd/ Ebukam/ Obo/ Lewis have a chance to be a very solid rotation for us. All of them will be facing consistent 1-on-1 blocks and all have the natural ability to win off the edge. Can't wait to see them on 3rd downs with man coverage being played behind them.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m gonna be honest. I’m a huge Sooner fan and thought the Rams got a steal with Obo.

But I’m an even bigger results oriented guy and Obo has to win me over on an NFL field. So, it’s do or die THIS year for Obo, I think.

Workout vids are all fine and dandy, but c’mon Obo! Gotta make your statement in limited reps somehow this summer or I’m pretty sure that the Rams will have to move on next year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Obo is gonna have to win that job early in camp so he'll get the snaps, if that happens I think he's got the skills to be an 8-10 sack range type. That would help to offset the loss of Fowler.

If not, well, it's gonna be more hope placed on the rookie which isn't an ideal situation. I don't expect our rookie OLB to start with a bang or anything. He's got the talent but he's not a consistent producer so giving a guy like that a job right out the gate is a mistake IMO. Better to have him on the depth chart pushing for a job.

Ram65

Legend
Obo showed good promise last year with his limited snaps. It's very important for Obo, Ebu. Lewis, Polite and Co. to get pressure from the outside but, keep contain on the edge. I don't know what new DC Staley is thinking but, it would free up Floyd to move to the middle on long 2nd/3rd passing downs to take over the Littleton vacancy. I have been harping on having Floyd being in the middle because he can cover and play the run in these situations. Moving Floyd would take the pressure off the other ILbers who may not be as strong in both areas. We will have to see what develops.

Obo and the other young edge players should be ready to step up to the challenge of taking over for Fowler and Mathews. I see Ebu and Fowler starting OLbers while the rest fight it out to see who gets snaps. Obo should be first up but, it's going to be very competitive. DC Staley has had high praise for rookie Terrel Lewis who we know had injuries but, could have been a first-round talent. The good thing is with Floyd, Ebu, Obo, Polite, Lawler and Patrick Lewis won't have to take on a heavy load at first. He can be part of a nice rotation while we see who steps up to get more snaps.

dang

Legend
College prepares you for the next step. Now it’s time for the Real World.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’ll just say this.

There are quite a candidates for Edge opposite Floyd. One or more of them will step up and claim the majority of snaps.

Furthermore, this will probably be an evolving situation. As players improve their skills throughout the season, I expect newer players to be given increasing snaps there. I’m specifically thinking of Kewis here, but there could well be others. Edge status looks like a VERY fluid situation to me. Our September starters could find themselves depth/rotation players by late October at several positions including IL, Edge, ILB, and maybe CB.

I’ll add RB starter, backup QB, and 3rd WR to those positions, while I’m at it.

Honestly, I see fierce competition almost everywhere I look other than a handful of obvious stars.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
We have so many guys with such potential. I dont give a shit who stands up and grows leaps and bounds, but someone better.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
We have so many guys with such potential. I dont give a shit who stands up and grows leaps and bounds, but someone better.
With a good rotation of above-average guys the sacks could be spread out over more players rather than just the guys we consider the starters.

I like that we have four or five guys that could pick up sacks at OLB.

Keep them fresh and keep the offense guessing.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
We have Floyd locked up for 3 years. Would love to see him live up to his potential over that time for trade bait.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We have Floyd locked up for 3 years. Would love to see him live up to his potential over that time for trade bait.

1 year.

Floyd, 27, received a one-year, $10-million contract, according to Spotrac.com. New Rams defensive coordinator Brandon Staley was Floyd’s position coach with the Chicago Bears in 2017 and 2018. Floyd had seven sacks as a rookie in 2016, but never more than four and a half in the next three seasons.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
1 year.

Floyd, 27, received a one-year, $10-million contract, according to Spotrac.com. New Rams defensive coordinator Brandon Staley was Floyd’s position coach with the Chicago Bears in 2017 and 2018. Floyd had seven sacks as a rookie in 2016, but never more than four and a half in the next three seasons.

Well, fuck. I thought it was three...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well, fuck. I thought it was three...

I thought you might be thinking Robinson, but no... his is 2yr deal.

So yeah, you’re pretty messed up. :zany:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Check out Ogbonnia Okoronkwo's latest offseason workouts

Dante Fowler Jr. will be one of the tougher defenders for the Rams to replace in 2020, but they do have a crop of young players who could take his place on the weakside at outside linebacker. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo is definitely among them, along with Terrell Lewis and Samson Ebukam.

Okoronkwo has been putting in a lot of work this offseason despite not being able to train with his teammates or coaches at the Rams’ facility, working on his agility and hand speed. He could be poised for a breakout season if he capitalizes on the opportunity in front of him, possibly becoming a three-down starting edge rusher.

Recently, Okoronkwo was working on hand fighting, which is important when engaging with an offensive lineman. He displays quick and powerful hands in this workout, fighting off the would-be blocker’s initial punch.

View: https://twitter.com/ogbookoronkwo/status/1281657233332289537?s=21

His agility looks good, too, after seeing him go through this footwork drill. Footwork is extremely important for an edge rusher, needing to get off the line of scrimmage quickly and being able to turn the corner to get to the quarterback.

It’s part of the reason Aaron Donald is the best pass rusher in football, always exploding off the line and working around blockers quickly.

View: https://twitter.com/ogbookoronkwo/status/1280896221016543233?s=21

Here’s another hand-fighting drill by Okoronkwo, working down the field while hitting the hand pads of his trainer. It’s a way to improve hand-eye coordination and to build up hand speed when fighting off blockers.

View: https://twitter.com/ogbookoronkwo/status/1280241520856059904?s=21

Okoronkwo is entering his third NFL season but he has yet to really emerge as a reliable contributor. This will be his best opportunity yet, and he’s putting in the work so he can capture the chance to start for the RAms in 2020.