Okay, so which camp battle most interests you?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I also believe Punt Returner should be interesting as many feel that Jo Jo Natson could be in trouble, but many forget how good Jo Jo was in preseason last year, which led the Rams to release Pharoh Cooper, who was not downing the ball in the end zone as a kick returner besides other things.

The Rams have not brought any major competition for Natson as a punt returner, nobody who was a primary punt returner in college. Some have brought the likes of Nick Scott and Darrell Henderson, both have plenty of experience as a kick returner, however, never returned punts.

There are a couple of receivers who have limited punt return experience like Alex Bachman, Austin Proehl & Nsimba Webster for example, however, all of them have returned less than 10 punts each in college and that does not mean that can't do it at the NFL level, but it's highly unlikely. Some posters like @Memento and many others feels Natson's roster spot is in jeopardy, but my question is who? And are the Rams going to trust an UDRFA that has no NFL experience returning punts and very limited experience in college as well? I say no way, keep in mind Natson had returned punts for the Jets when they signed him.

Overall, if Natson struggles or gets hurt, the Rams would look for somebody else, but IMHO, that would be a player that is on another roster currently because again unless somebody else showcases that can do the job in preseason come September, you might want a player that had far more experience in college as the primary punt returner or somebody else that has some NFL experience.
a7jd4thym2uwj7egdgsf.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Nick Scott has never return punts only kick offs, IMHO, the Rams will not try somebody as a punt returner that has never done that before.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/nick-scott-1.html
That's not good for him. Does that mean he can't return punts effectively?

I do know that the Rams organization really like JoJo Natson.

Rams have veteran former safety all pro Eric Weddle just signed who can play both safety spots, 3rd yr safety JJ III like Weddle can play both safety posts, top 2019 draft choice safety Taylor Rapp who has demonstrated in college & his pre-draft work outs that he has the skills to play both safety posts, then there's 4th yr veteran safety Marquis Christian who is a pure strong safety. Christian played major role in Wade's secondary last season as the 3rd safety. There is a very good chance that all top 3 safeties will return for 2020 season so there is no big need for depth like there is @ CB.

I see finding future outside CB depth as a much bigger need than a future 5th safety. IMO giving Peters big pay day contact, that he will demand is a looming disaster. Talib is now in his twilight years & Hill is not starting material. Serious need to find & groom a few outside corners. David Long is the only prospect I know of.

As you know KR is just not a need in today's NFL but an effective PR is. Will Wade utilize a roster spot for a 5th safety to be use mainly as a gunner in spite of Bones desires? Its a good watch this preseason.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As you know KR is just not a need in today's NFL but an effective PR is. Will Wade utilize a roster spot for a 5th safety to be use mainly as a gunner in spite of Bones desires? Its a good watch this preseason.

IMO, Scott offers other abilities on special teams being the gunner and blocking punts as well, this will factor in. He can return kick offs, which is good, but will not be a punt returner. IMO, if Scott showcases some ability on the defense combined with his ability to be a standout (Littleton like) on special teams, he'll make the roster regardless of not being a punt returner.

Fassel lovers this kid and when you watch him, Scott is a phenom on special teams and IMO, that will translate to the next level.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jo Jo is at risk, not because he's a bad punt returner, but because while he's solid, he brings basically nothing else to the Rams - and averaging an extra yard or two on two punt returns a game is not all that valuable when the Rams have a roster crunch - they are going to end up cutting players who might contribute much more in 2019, and who definitely will contribute more than Natson going forward.

You keep a dedicated punt returner if the other options get hurt or suspended, or if he's a star at it. Otherwise they will be trying players out all camp and preseason, and keeping a close eye on the waiver wire.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Micheal Thomas: dude was a stud last training camp before injury. Can he finally show his potential?

Henderson and Kelly: Kelly was the second best rb last preseason, right behind that beast of a man Warren on the Raiders. Does he step up or is Henderson the real deal? How will Henderson be used?

Oko: time to answer some questions we've all been waiting for.

David Long: where do they put him and how does he do against our amazing WR core.

Allen and Noteboom: these two can be our Achilles heel this season. I expect Wade to use a lot of packages to try and confuse them. Give them as many looks so they are the best prepared.

Dakota Allen: we got the same name and he was ranked one of the best lbs in college before he got in trouble.

dang

Legend
The Rams don’t need a dynamic PR or KR that takes chances. They just need someone that has sure hands and makes the right decisions on fair catches and touchbacks. Pharaoh Cooper had a pro bowl KR year but when it counted he was a major reason for losing in the playoffs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
To me, Everett is the wild card in this. We already have the best trio in the league with Cooks/Woods/Kupp. An elite back who can excel in the passing game too. If the light goes on for Everett, that would be 5 legit weapons for the offense. A scary proposition for defenses. But we'll have to wait and see if Everett becomes that guy they envisioned with the first pick of the McVay era.

Yeah Everett is the guy who represents a potentially big improvement in what is already an elite offense. If he does have a great camp and show he's ready to step it up this season it will be huge for us. And there is room for Higs to do better too of course, doubtful his hands will improve but never know.

The OL is going to be the position to watch. Crazy to see a Super Bowl roster have two openings like that for young players, not to mention some young dudes from this draft who will start to settle in to the depth roles. Who will be the first OL off the bench? Will either of our rooks push Blythe in camp? By far the position I'm most excited to watch.

Second would be CB for me. Can Long settle in as the CB4?

Think Gaines will win the NT position pretty quickly. But if it's a good battle so much better for us.

Should be a really fun camp to follow this year. (y)

Ram65

Legend
Some have brought the likes of Nick Scott and Darrell Henderson, both have plenty of experience as a kick returner, however, never returned punts.

There are a couple of receivers who have limited punt return experience like Alex Bachman, Austin Proehl & Nsimba Webster for example, however, all of them have returned less than 10 punts each in college and that does not mean that can't do it at the NFL level, but it's highly unlikely.

Some posters like @Memento and many others feels Natson's roster spot is in jeopardy, but my question is who?

Hard to believe the Rams only have JoJo with more than limited punt return experience. I was thinking Henderson gets a good shot. He did have 21 in high school.;)
https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/darrell-henderson/SfHhwfTqEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/football/stats.htm

Now, I'm not sure the Rams would want to risk him. I think he can do it.

I think the Rams will have an open competition for punt return duties. Ball security will be a priority. I guess it's JoJo's job till someone takes it away but, he is limited to return duties.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I’d love to see Marquise Copeland in the mix at DL. I know we are all talking Gaines but Copeland can play.
I’m hoping he gets a shot and turns some heads

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
As far as competition is concerned, center and guard probably interests me most. Also backup Right Tackle.

As far as a unit as a whole, linebackers.

Individuals that I want to track are Rapp, Long, and Nick Scott. Rapp and Long I think will contribute on the D this year. Scott I'm looking at for special teams.

I'm also really interested in how Rapp and Long show in camp and how and where the Rams use them. I wonder if either could give NRC a push? In any event I expect both to get more than a little playing time this year and to be future starters.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hard to believe the Rams only have JoJo with more than limited punt return experience. I was thinking Henderson gets a good shot. He did have 21 in high school.;)
https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/darrell-henderson/SfHhwfTqEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/football/stats.htm

Now, I'm not sure the Rams would want to risk him. I think he can do it.

Yeah I'd like to see a little more security and explosiveness on the returns. Jojo did a good job last season but we have a very good return group in terms of blocking so I have to think a guy like Henderson could light it up in that role. Question is whether he can secure the ball well enough for the Rams to be confident in him doing it. Maybe we'll get a report here today about him practicing returns who knows. :p

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I’d love to see Marquise Copeland in the mix at DL. I know we are all talking Gaines but Copeland can play.
I’m hoping he gets a shot and turns some heads
You & I are on the same page again to start off 2019(y):cheers:.

The best bet for Copeland is to get a ton of 5 tech action. I know we are stuffed full of 5 tech's @ the moment but If Copeland does stand out & fills the need as a prospect who can shut down the run on a very poor 2018 run stopping DL then he has a chance.

I will offer up a possible scenario where he might land a spot. Wade/ Henderson are surly in plans to find ways to increase the effectiveness of this 2019 DL system. First clue that Snead is moving toward this is the fact that we have a new great young DL coach Henderson hired to do just that!

Objective is to explore ways to increase disrupt ability of Aaron Donald. Teams do game plan to attack & neutralize the Rams 3 tech DL position & the quickness of the undersized AD. One way is to not use AD in the fixed 3 tech post as often as he has been n the past. Getting AD lining up all over that DL front thus disrupting our opponents plans to stop AD @ the 3 tech position.

AD is in camp for the first time in a long while first time with Wade as DC so now Wade / Henderson can get the needed practice time in for AD playing everywhere @ anytime...a true offensive nightmare.:death::seizure:

Henderson could throw out past DL coaches duo @ 3 tech post of Donald/Smart. Go with the new duo of Brockers {near 6-6/305lbs} & Donald {under 6-1 255/260 lbs}. Henderson might also consider sprinkling in veteran Brockers in with his 1st year NT's Sebastian Joseph-Day /Greg Gaines neither has ever suited up for a NFL game.

This suggested improvement plan @ the 3 tech & NT positions would provide our longest termed veteran DL leader Brockers with all the snaps his big heart desires. IMO it would also beef up these two DL positions with a better overall cadre of talent involved in these two positions.

Giving Brockers the chance to play the 3 tech post in relief of AD gives Brockers the opportunity to play this choice position of his youth like he did in the Rams 2012/2013 seasons when he has the two best seasons with QB pressures & 10 sacks.

It would then give Wade the chance to build the foundation for his future @ the DE/5 tech post......preparations for the Brockers departure in March 2020 in free agency. Henderson has 3 excellent young candidates with Morgan Fox/ John Franklin-Myers & rookie Marquise Copeland fighting it out @ the 5 tech post rotation. This trio of young 5 tech'ers can set up this DL position long into the future this season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...agent-in-every-2019-nfl-training-camp#slide18

Best Undrafted Free Agent in Every 2019 NFL Training Camp
Chris Roling
Los Angeles Rams: DT Marquise Copeland

1. e22e5e74700fec4c91a786357e55f156_crop_exact.jpg

Marquise Copeland was one half of an elite Cincinnati interior duo last season (the other being Cortez Broughton), as he once again put on a show against the run.

According to Pro Football Focus, Copeland finished his senior year among the top 12 defensive tackles in run-stop percentage, topping off a four-year stint with 187 tackles and 8.5 sacks.

Perhaps the biggest problem? Copeland is just 6'2" and 281 pounds, so his particular area of expertise might require more weight.

Then again, Copeland and the Los Angeles Rams picked each other for a reason. L.A.'s multiple front looks like a great place for him to get some serious pro experience while trainers work with him to add good weight.

Last edited: