Okay, so which camp battle most interests you?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I see all 3 of these ranking high in terms of competition and importance to team:

Gaines vs Joseph-Day. What gets more important than starter alongside AD and Brockers? Especially on a D that struggled in run D last season?

Everett vs Higbee. Is this the year that Everett breaks out? If so, we can add yet another top O weapon to the Goff/McVay arsenal. A potential biggie, don’t you think?

Blythe at RG vs Demby, Evans, Edwards, or ??? If Blythe is our weakest link on the OL, as I suspect, then this one is crucial.

Sooooo...

Should we assign one of our crack camp reporters to focus on each matchup? Lol.

Seriously, which battle most interests y’all?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Everett v Higbee. Interested to see if Everett has put the game together and be a very good blocker and route runner we drafted in 2nd round.

Looking to see Higbee continue to improve as well.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm interested in who steps up at inside linebacker. We know Fowler is going to be on one edge. Ebukam was on the other side most times. Littleton and Barron were inside. Barron's gone. Will Matthews spend more time on the edge or inside? Is Kiser ready to step up and be that run defender?

I'm also curious to see what kind of role Rapp will have. He can be a safety or safety/LB hybrid. I think they're set at base defense in the secondary with the two safeties, two CB's and nickle back. But the dime package might be interesting.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Everett v Higbee. Interested to see if Everett has put the game together and be a very good blocker and route runner we drafted in 2nd round.

Looking to see Higbee continue to improve as well.

To me, Everett is the wild card in this. We already have the best trio in the league with Cooks/Woods/Kupp. An elite back who can excel in the passing game too. If the light goes on for Everett, that would be 5 legit weapons for the offense. A scary proposition for defenses. But we'll have to wait and see if Everett becomes that guy they envisioned with the first pick of the McVay era.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I see all 3 of these ranking high in terms of competition and importance to team:

Gaines vs Joseph-Day. What gets more important than starter alongside AD and Brockers? Especially on a D that struggled in run D last season?

Everett vs Higbee. Is this the year that Everett breaks out? If so, we can add yet another top O weapon to the Goff/McVay arsenal. A potential biggie, don’t you think?

Blythe at RG vs Demby, Evans, Edwards, or ??? If Blythe is our weakest link on the OL, as I suspect, then this one is crucial.

Sooooo...

Should we assign one of our crack camp reporters to focus on each matchup? Lol.

Seriously, which battle most interests y’all?

Hmmm... If Gaines isn't heads and tails above JD, than we're gonna have some issues in the middle of the defense. So I guess I'm taking a slightly different tact there. I guess what I'm saying is that shouldn't be a competition or we're in trouble.

Everett vs Higbee is def intriguing and with recent reports that the Rams are looking at a contract extension for Higbee, he's prob not going anywhere. I'd like to see Everett take the next step. It would really help the offense in becoming more multiple.

Inside LB could be interesting, but again, if Kiser can't own the spot and it's a battle, I think we're in trouble there or we will be playing Matthews there way more than we'd like.

We're stacked enough on this team that it really seems to me that a lot of our battles will come on the depth chart behind starters. Who will be the first situational pass rusher off the bench (Oroko, does Fox have any life in him?). Who will be the swing OT guy (prob Demby, but could Evans or Edwards make it really really hard to deactivate them on game day). Who's our 4th CB, we extended Hill but could long maybe push him really hard?

Ram65

Legend

This is the most interesting. SJD the underdog to the rookie. It also is important that the Rams get stronger upfront against the run and more push against the pass on early downs.

Everett had a higher blocking grade according to PPF last year. It's time McVay passes them the ball. I like both. Higbee runs over people while Everett is a smooth runner with more speed.

Yes maybe Evans eventually takes over. He is a powerful blocker.

Others

How much will Mathews play over Ebukam? The question I'm wondering how much does Mathews have left in the tank? Rams need more sacks.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If they follow what they did in the last 2 camps, the position groups, OL, DL, DB's, etc, move from one part of the field to another. Its kind of hard to follow just one position group, we find a good seat in the stands under shade, (not to far from barley pop refreshments) and watch, take notes on what is going on in front of us. I will make a concerted effort to watch both OL and DL drills, especially when they go against each other. VRF likes to get in a place he can get good pics. We hang together, (he puts up with my constant yacking), and sometimes I forget to write down. Usually the best part of practice is 7 on7 and 11 on 11 drills.

I'm really looking forward to TC and doing reports for all my brethren Ram Fans. Also looking forward to the practice with the Chargers in Costa Mesa, got my tix for that one too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
5baeef3bd15a8_156178n.jpg
1143919238.jpg.0.jpg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Cornerback is the most interesting battle, in my honest opinion. You have Hill, Peterson, Hatfield, Richards, Williams, and Deayon fighting for two spots.

I'm also intrigued by backup inside and outside linebackers. I want to see if Young, Lawler, Okoronkwo, Carraway, Reeder, Durham, and Patrick compete for outside roles, while Kiser, Howard, Allen, Hager, and Kupp compete for roles at inside linebacker.

There's also the third tight end position, on the offensive side. I'm picking Blanton to win the job, but he'll have stiff competition from Mundt, Brooker, and Brown.

Backup receiver should also be good. I want to see what Webster, Bachman, and Hodge can do. Natson will have to be exceptional to keep his job.

All of that means that I'll be keeping a close eye on this team.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
Highbee Vs Evertt. It’s a make or break year for both. If one doesn’t pan out this year. They need to get rid of one and find a better tight end.
It would take our offense to one of the best ever. McVay did amazing things with Jordan Reed.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

kiser vs kiser.

the rams will give him every chance to make the ilb spot his own. he has to get out there, make good reads and tackle. i can't wait for the rams to have a lber who can hit the rb and stop him cold, so he doesn't make another inch.

oldnotdead

Legend
I want to see where and how they use Mathews. Frankly his play had slipped more than a lost step last year. Ebukam is a better all around OLB. They have talked up Kiser so I don't see Clay taking his snaps. They are paying Mathews as a starter so where will it be?

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
As far as competition is concerned, center and guard probably interests me most. Also backup Right Tackle.

As far as a unit as a whole, linebackers.

Individuals that I want to track are Rapp, Long, and Nick Scott. Rapp and Long I think will contribute on the D this year. Scott I'm looking at for special teams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
As far as competition is concerned, center and guard probably interests me most. Also backup Right Tackle.

As far as a unit as a whole, linebackers.

Individuals that I want to track are Rapp, Long, and Nick Scott. Rapp and Long I think will contribute on the D this year. Scott I'm looking at for special teams.
I am close to you here I too am most interested as whom will be our two back up OG prospects. The clear back up to our starting center is Austin Blythe who just happens to be our starting RG. So Kromer needs two OG badly. Next in need is who will be this seasons game day swing OT to replace Joseph Noteboom who no longer has that position on the roster.

On the defensive side I do not see any real mysteries... The trio of edge rushers of Fowler, Mathews & Ebukam will all see about the same amount of snaps & series. The starting interior LB'ers are set all that remains to be seen is if Taylor Rapp or Travon Howard or Dakota Allen can beat out Marquise Christian as the Big hybrid nickle safety spot who provides relief for Kiser on passing downs?

NT will go early to SJD & later to Gaines combo. Who will be the 6th DL'er? Corners is an easy read....who will be the 6th corner behind Talib/ Peters/ NRC/ Hill/ Long. Will FS Nick Scott end up as our punt returner, gunner & 4th safety?

oldnotdead

Legend
Speaking of Nick Scott I'm interested in seeing if they play Scott or Gervase at CB considering the logjam at safety. Of the others Kevin Peterson is probably the best of the lot but doesn't appear to bring anything they don't have in Troy Hill. The problem with Peterson is he lacks the length to play boundary CB and has only average speed. They saw Hill who has similar speed and length be exploited last year when he played boundary CB in relief. Both Scott and Gervase offer greater speed and better length (especially Gervase). Both would be very raw but both have good work ethics and with a year of good coaching and two TC's they might be fine next season.

Things are different now. Players knowing they are being transitioned to a new position can go to a sports facility in the off season and train in that position. That way coming into TC next year they are primarily picking up the defense at the new position. If Gervase shows anything in TC especially on ST's I think he has a shot making the team. They have 7 safeties on the roster right now. They probably will keep 4 with 3 spots locked. Christian is in his contract year with no dead cap and I think his spot is up for grabs. If they move Scott to CB they could keep Gervase and in doing so get a faster, longer player with a higher ceiling. This would allow them to keep both developmental players who offer them overall better players. I think regardless Scott takes over as their returner from Jojo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

This for me. The entire defensive line.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For me, it's not so much a camp battle, but I am most interested in the running backs. How is Gurley? That's the biggest question mark in my mind. And is Henderson the real deal? Can he start if he has to? And what about John Kelly? I think we know what we have in Malcomb Brown, but the rest?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Guy from San Jose State, Boogie Roberts, looks like a football player. High motor, gets into the backfield a lot. Outside chance though.

OL for sure. How they line up during 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 will give a clue about backups. Of course they will try everyone and move them around. Won't know anything for sure until pre-season starts.

With Bortles at backup QB, a huge improvement over Mannion, we will get a better look at backup WR"S.

I want to see Okowonkwo and if he's going to be in the mix at LB.