Okay, so what needs to be ‘fixed’ for 2020?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Scherff is the guy I want. He will settle down the interior. We then have two young OL going into their second seasons that played pretty damn well as rooks on the line with him. Corbett looks like he can be a solid starter. Just draft a Center to at least ensure there's competition at the pivot and figure out LT.

You need two plus starters to have good OL. Rams during GSoT those two were Pace & Timmerman and the JAGs around them were fine. We don't need five elite guys, just someone on the interior to settle things down and finish the rebuild (this year was definitely an OL rebuild year).

Scherff is going to cost too much and has struggled to stay on the field of late. If we go after a FA, I'd look for a guy who is a tier lower (Graham Glasglow or Jack Conklin, for example) or go after a player who is cut, like Cordy Glenn.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Scherff is going to cost too much and has struggled to stay on the field of late. If we go after a FA, I'd look for a guy who is a tier lower (Graham Glasglow or Jack Conklin, for example) or go after a player who is cut, like Cordy Glenn.
We'll see. I also expect Callahan to move to LA to take over our OL and run game. The connection should lead to an LA-first free agent visit and he won't leave without a contract. :D

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Being the guy who originally brought up the idea of pulling in Scherff prior to the trade deadline for this season, obviously I liked what he may have accomplished with the Rams while on our play-off run. Things are a bit different now, and signing Scherff in the off-season as a free agent likely means the loss of a high compensation pick in 2021 following the departure of Fowler, Brockers & probably Littleton.

While largely unproven, the Rams do have a very large stable of extremely young offensive linemen on our roster, and that is likely to increase following the upcoming draft. The Rams have far less depth at ILB. Scherff & Littleton are projecting to earn similar money next year, so if just one of them manages to be affordable for 2020 along with Whitworth on his final season, i'm actually leaning more towards extending Littleton at this time.

Noteboom, Corbett, Evans, Edwards & Brewer are all very young players, and they all appear to have a future with our team, it's more about ironing out which positions they will play and whether they start or remain depth players who just happen to be getting playing time because others went down to injury. I'm leaning towards this group competing and winning starting roles. Behind these guys we have Allen, Trewyn, Shelton & Kolone who have time at C and OG, and the infamous Jamil Demby has served time at OT and OG. All this and the draft should provide enough development fodder for Kromer to come up with a working OL capable of protecting Goff and opening a few holes for our RB's imo. An expensive high quality free agent would provide a shot in the arm, but it may also prevent a worthy reserve player from getting playing time for several more years, it's really a question only the Rams coaches can answer, but if they thought Noteboom at LG and Allen at Center was a wise choice, I have to believe they think they can do something with all these other guys, many of whom have now proved to be better choices in retrospect. If Kromer can mold this group into his image, his legacy is set. It's a gamble, but what isn't ?
jmo.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I agree with almost everything you stated here except for Smart, give him a chance to compete for Brockers spot.

He's not a free agent, so he'll get his chance to compete in camp, although if we draft the way I would like, no way Smart makes the final cut. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
How would you feel about Corbett moving to Center, perhaps a more 'natural' position considering his shorter arms ? With Tretter & Kush already on-board, Corbett quickly became obsolete at Cleveland.
I think if the Rams are smart they'll have him as part of the competition at Center. That's what was missing this past camp at both LG and C. Young players given the positions and then sat for preseason, I mean it was not a good approach and they weren't ready.

Hopefully the days of putting a guy in at starter at any position outside of a top FA of course are behind us. Make them earn it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Being the guy who originally brought up the idea of pulling in Scherff prior to the trade deadline for this season, obviously I liked what he may have accomplished with the Rams while on our play-off run. Things are a bit different now, and signing Scherff in the off-season as a free agent likely means the loss of a high compensation pick in 2021 following the departure of Fowler, Brockers & probably Littleton.

While largely unproven, the Rams do have a very large stable of extremely young offensive linemen on our roster, and that is likely to increase following the upcoming draft. The Rams have far less depth at ILB. Scherff & Littleton are projecting to earn similar money next year, so if just one of them manages to be affordable for 2020 along with Whitworth on his final season, i'm actually leaning more towards extending Littleton at this time.

Noteboom, Corbett, Evans, Edwards & Brewer are all very young players, and they all appear to have a future with our team, it's more about ironing out which positions they will play and whether they start or remain depth players who just happen to be getting playing time because others went down to injury. I'm leaning towards this group competing and winning starting roles. Behind these guys we have Allen, Trewyn, Shelton & Kolone who have time at C and OG, and the infamous Jamil Demby has served time at OT and OG. All this and the draft should provide enough development fodder for Kromer to come up with a working OL capable of protecting Goff and opening a few holes for our RB's imo. An expensive high quality free agent would provide a shot in the arm, but it may also prevent a worthy reserve player from getting playing time for several more years, it's really a question only the Rams coaches can answer, but if they thought Noteboom at LG and Allen at Center was a wise choice, I have to believe they think they can do something with all these other guys, many of whom have now proved to be better choices in retrospect. If Kromer can mold this group into his image, his legacy is set. It's a gamble, but what isn't ?
jmo.

Personally, I think Littleton will be too expensive. I'd let him walk and pursue one of the cheaper options who should hit FA. I love Cory, but I'm not keen on paying him $13 million per year (or more). He's not a game-changing ILB. He's merely good at what he does. I think there will be some good bargains at the LB position, especially from cuts. And this draft class looks like a good one on Day 2 thus far.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Personally, I think Littleton will be too expensive. I'd let him walk and pursue one of the cheaper options who should hit FA. I love Cory, but I'm not keen on paying him $13 million per year (or more). He's not a game-changing ILB. He's merely good at what he does. I think there will be some good bargains at the LB position, especially from cuts. And this draft class looks like a good one on Day 2 thus far.

I agree he's definitely a long shot at returning, more a hope than an expectation..

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't think it takes a keen sense of the obvious to know OL is #1.

I agree. That line was the biggest issue most the year. But now we have to wonder if maybe the experience the young guys got this year could make the youngsters better.

Edwards and Evans are two guys they think could be pretty good at some point. They actually ended up with more game experience than Noteboom. And they seemed to get better at pass protection. Run blocking and mistakes was still an issue. But was it them or was it the scheme? Or was it Gurley?

Noteboom was figured to be the heir apparent for left tackle. So we have 3 first and second year guys that could possibly end up pretty good. Whitworth may return. Maybe they just need a couple mid level vets who don't have a history of getting injured.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
A 30,000 foot view with no punches pulled.

I’m a results oriented guy so forgive me if I speak bluntly.

This team was too Jekyll and Hyde this year. All 3 units had inexplicable ups and downs. Frankly, we lost too many games to inferior teams. This means that a ton of the blame goes to the coaches.

McVay needs to take a long and hard look at his coaching staff and schemes, starting with himself. And I think that McVay should hire a damned O coordinator which would allow him to focus on the Big Picture to a greater degree. McVay should retain the playcalling duties but listen carefully to his OC. I think that McVay is currently spread too thin on the O side.

Kromer should be allowed to be 100% OL coach and immediately relieved of his ‘run game coordinator’ duties. Let the man do what he does best, coach the OL. And heaven knows that this OL needs his undivided attention.

Shane Waldron probably shouldn’t be ‘passing game coordinator’ at all. Maybe not the best possible QB coach that McVay could hire, either. I think that Goff could be better under a more gifted coach, frankly.

Gurley is a shadow of his former self. Not his fault, but the Rams need to prepare for a future without Gurley as soon as ‘21. Might be a good idea to get a promising RB this offseason in draft, FA, or some kind of trade. Our O is predicated on having a powerful RB and running game, so I feel that this is a fairly high priority. Sure hope that the Rams realize that Gurley’s best days are behind him.

Speaking of running game, they need to figure out how to regain one by improving the OL. Player development of current players, draft, FA, or trade are all options on the table, I think. But this is Job One this offseason. I couldn’t care less which method they decide upon. I only care that they get it done one way or another and that they do so this offseason. The importance of re-establishing a powerful running game OL simply can’t be overstated. With it we are a SB worthy team. Without it we are an 8-9 win team. ‘Nuff said?

I seriously question whether Wade should remain our DC in ‘20. Nice guy, great career, but I think that McVay can do better. I also think that McVay could have his choice of virtually ANY available DC hire candidate. I’m personally hoping for a promising young and aggressive outsider. Sort of a Sean McVay type D oriented savant waiting for his chance while somewhere impressing in his current D coaching duties. McVay should NOT ‘settle’ for anyone he considers less than the very best available candidate.

Hope Littleton can be extended. He’s invaluable to the D and he’s earned it.

Fowler probably won’t be able to be extended due to cap restrictions. If Demoff can work some magic, I would love to extend Fowler, of course, but I’m afraid that the chances are kinda slim. Sigh...

Brockers is almost certainly a cap casualty.

I predict that Weddle will be released as a cap move since his play has not met expectations. A JJ, Rapp, and Christian S unit would be a strong one without Weddle.

Matthews is a bit iffy, too, I think. There’s the salary, his limited run D, and maybe the Rams like their options with other inexpensive edge players waiting in the wings, OR their options in the draft.

CB depth has been a pleasant surprise. Hill, Williams, and Long opposite Ramsey is looking very good, huh? Nice to feel that CB is not a screaming need, that’s for sure.

Speaking of pleasant surprises, how about Higbee? Goodness. I was optimistic when Higbee was drafted but I never saw him becoming such a good blocker AND O weapon. Can’t wait to see what McVay has planned for him next season.

Well, those are my ideas about ‘fixes’ needed along with a short list of likely painful cap casualties. A good draft and shrewd FA will be needed, no doubt, but if Snead can pull that off we could be right back in the thick of the SB hunt, despite playing in the strong NFC West.

My 3 biggest priorities?

Finish the OL.
Replace Wade Phillips.
Hire an OC to take a lot off if McVay’s plate.

Get more physical on both sides of the ball ... Done.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
McVay needs to take a long and hard look at his coaching staff and schemes, starting with himself. And I think that McVay should hire a damned O coordinator which would allow him to focus on the Big Picture to a greater degree. McVay should retain the playcalling duties but listen carefully to his OC. I think that McVay is currently spread too thin on the O side.

I think he should stay the hell away from playcalling altogether my friend. He can design plays with an OC, but the OC sould call the game day plays.

Or as an option..........

Remember when Vermiel and Martz were in tandem with play calling. DV decided run or pass, then MM would decide what play. He helped keep MM in check. McVay either needs to give up play calling or install a system where someone else decided run or pass then he picks which play.

Noteboom was figured to be the heir apparent for left tackle. So we have 3 first and second year guys that could possibly end up pretty good. Whitworth may return. Maybe they just need a couple mid level vets who don't have a history of getting injured.

Snead is going to be tested this off season more than any he has had thus far outside of the one right after Fisher was fired and McVay came in.

I'm hoping that among the youngsters on the OL 2-3 can step up and be quality starters. If not I don't know what is going to happen next season.

The problem was so glaring at times this year I have actually said out loud while watching "fucking block someone" or variations or that.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Remember when Vermiel and Martz were in tandem with play calling. DV decided run or pass, then MM would decide what play. He helped keep MM in check. McVay either needs to give up play calling or install a system where someone else decided run or pass then he picks which play.

Might take too long before Goff's helmet speaker gets turned off.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The biggest improvement in football players usually comes between years 1 and 2, so I'm hoping the youngsters Corbett, Evans, and Edwards really improve next year. The same could be said for Noteboom, and Allen as well. Throw in Havenstein, a couple other young guys, and a mid-level free agent and we should have a good line again. Whitworth may end up costing too much.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams losses:

Bucs
Seahawks
Niners
Steelers
Ravens
Cowboys
Niners

Not really an inferior team on this list. Maybe the Bucs and Steelers, but considering their results this year are similar to ours, I wouldn't say they're inferior. If the Bucs and Cowboys win Sunday, we won't have lost to a team with a losing record.

I would put the no show games on the coaching staff though

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I'm not 100% sure but I think the coaches box "upstairs" and the sideline have unlimited communication.
Yes but as the clock is running doesn't that have to happen in the first 15 seconds? Before it gets to Goff?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
The biggest improvement in football players usually comes between years 1 and 2, so I'm hoping the youngsters Corbett, Evans, and Edwards really improve next year. The same could be said for Noteboom, and Allen as well. Throw in Havenstein, a couple other young guys, and a mid-level free agent and we should have a good line again. Whitworth may end up costing too much.

Yeah at least one of those young guys is going to be a good player. I'd put my Money on Evans, the guy just looks like a natural Tackle out there. If you would have asked me that at the beginning of the season I would have said Edwards. Not saying Edwards wont be a good player, I just think Evans is going to have the biggest jump in a positive direction.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Scherff is the guy I want. He will settle down the interior. We then have two young OL going into their second seasons that played pretty damn well as rooks on the line with him. Corbett looks like he can be a solid starter. Just draft a Center to at least ensure there's competition at the pivot and figure out LT.

You need two plus starters to have good OL. Rams during GSoT those two were Pace & Timmerman and the JAGs around them were fine. We don't need five elite guys, just someone on the interior to settle things down and finish the rebuild (this year was definitely an OL rebuild year).
Corbetter won't work out --too light/lacks strength. Great backup. Evans and Edwards at guards, Hav back in 2018 form at RT will be fine. Can't put too many new parts together....something old, something new and some black and blue in the run blocking!

Edwards rooted out quite a few D-lineman, or least had stand stills with them while th RB ran by. One offeseason in the weight room and Edwards will be great.