Okay, so, Alexander couldn't stay healthy, but...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[textarea]Nick Wagoner: [Scott] Wells has been on the same plan the past two weeks where he’s managed during the week to get to the game. Stands to reason this week will be the same.[/textarea]
http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2012/12/10/ ... p-buffalo/

So what gives? I originally thought that Alexander didn't make the cut because he "couldn't stay healthy"; and yet, Wells gets managed similar to how Alexander was managed last year and it's okay? I hope there's more to this than meets the eye because there's clearly a double standard here if I apply the reason for Alexander's release to "he had to be managed" and therefore was too unreliable.

Maybe Alexander just wasn't in their long term plans? But, again, is Wells?

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Wasn't DX unable to practice at any time during camp? I think that was the official reason. There have also been (un-substantiated) whispers that he didn't really want to be here. Either way even the good management groups make mistakes and this appears, at least at the present time, to be one of them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, he didn't get much PT in camp, but he was out there some and they had tape on him.

[textarea]http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2012/8/9/3230160/danario-alexander-injury-st-louis-rams-depth-chart
Aug 9, 2012

Danario Alexander must have known that the most dedicated bunch of St. Louis Rams fans were watching on Tuesday. Through two hours and a little more of practice the former Mizzou Tiger was making some spectacular catches, leaping skyward to pull down a ball well out of reach for most cornerbacks. On Wednesday, Alexander was back on the sidelines, watching his team practice without him.

"Yes, WR Danario's still struggling," head coach Jeff Fisher said. "He's not quite 100 percent, so we backed him down."

Alexander is a paradox for the decisionmakers at Rams Park. His raw talent is on par with many of the league's top receivers. After all, this is a player that was once above Jeremy Maclin on the depth chart at Mizzou. Injuries ultimately pushed him down the rotation in Columbia and could push him off the roster completely in St. Louis.

"Well, yeah obviously he's got some talent and we just have to keep him out there," Fisher said after Monday's practice. "That's going to be the key. Getting back today, still we're going to watch his reps and try to increase the reps and make a decision whether or not we'll allow him to participate this weekend."

Hamstring issues have sidelined him throughout camp, and this represents an obvious setback. He practiced some this week, practiced hard by the first-hand look of it, and it proved to be too much.

A team as focused on the run as the Rams will be less likely to hold any more than six roster spots for receivers. Three of those roster spots are spoken for with Danny Amendola, Brian Quick and Chris Givens. Steve Smith almost certainly has a fourth. The determining factor for the remaining spots will come down to a handful of issues, including whether or not a player can contribute on special teams.

The latest injury news also would seem to put Danario's status for the preseason opener on Sunday in doubt. If he does miss that game, it makes his bid for a roster spot that much more of a hard sell.[/textarea]

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Ugh. I swear I got nauseous when they cut DX. Happy to see him doing well, but MAN does it suck that he couldn't stick with the Rams. DX on 1.5 knees > Steve Smith. Poop.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
.....and just to add to that. I know I heard quite a few people call for him to be given the IR spot that would allow him to return after week 8. Many others said it was a waste, since we would obviously not be competing for a playoff spot. Double ugh.....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
Umm... Told you so. :tooth:
Yes. Yes you did. I was of the opinion that he was going to miss too many games and that he'd take a roster spot from someone else. That was then. In retrospect, who would miss Steve Smith right now? Who saw him going to San Diego and lighting it up on a daily basis - without missing any games in between? Therein might be my answer. Maybe this staff didn't see it happening either.

Good for him, by the way. I'm glad he's having some level of success. He was genuinely a good dude.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Wells is a probowl center, DX is an undrafted WR with a lot of talent but can rarely practice and usually can't play more than a handful of plays/games.

At least that's what was going on when it came time for cuts.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
Wells is a probowl center, DX is an undrafted WR with a lot of talent but can rarely practice and usually can't play more than a handful of plays/games.

At least that's what was going on when it came time for cuts.

Money talks too. Cutting a low paid injury plagued undrafted WR looks a lot better than cutting a pro bowl center you just gave a pile of cash to.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
How can his knee be so fucked up still? Didn't he just have 5 weeks off for foot surgery?

I know he "re-tweaked" it. Still.

Could def tell he was struggling on that 3 man rush sack against Sam last Sun. We're stronger with him in, just disappointed. I'm sure he is too. Fuck I hate injuries!!! :amped:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I find it more trouble than it's worth to worry about a player we don't have anymore. DX was NOT going to make the 53, with lingering hamstring problems in addition to the well-documented knees.

The time he spent off (6-8 weeks?) we couldn't afford. Since it also appears DX needed that time to recover, it's worked out well for him and SD. We also wouldn't have Wells now if DX had been given that IR return designation. The Oline is better with our backup center playing guard.

The less I say about the comparison of a Pro Bowl center to a sporadically injured undrafted WR, the better.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ram Quixote said:
I find it more trouble than it's worth to worry about a player we don't have anymore. DX was NOT going to make the 53, with lingering hamstring problems in addition to the well-documented knees.

The time he spent off (6-8 weeks?) we couldn't afford. Since it also appears DX needed that time to recover, it's worked out well for him and SD. We also wouldn't have Wells now if DX had been given that IR return designation. The Oline is better with our backup center playing guard.

The less I say about the comparison of a Pro Bowl center to a sporadically injured undrafted WR, the better.
Don't misunderstand. I'm not complaining about him being gone. It's just weird to me that one guy can be babied along and another can't. The 6-8 weeks he missed were taken advantage of by nobody. Again, this is all hindsight, and the comparison isn't really a comparison. That said, DX may not be a pro-bowler, but that doesn't make him any less valuable to the offense. Turner filled in pretty well for Wells in his absence, by the way, so it stands to reason that Alexander *could have been* more valuable to the offense than Wells is/was. I think Rok missing time is what screwed up the symmetry on the line with Wells out.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't second guess losing DX.

He wasn't healthy.

He hasn't been healthy.

Chances are he won't remain healthy.

F. Mulder

Starter
I guess I find it hard to tell someone they are cut because you are saving a roster spot for someone who is constantly injured, injured all through training camp and preseason, and MAY be ready at some point during the season. Look, I like DX a lot and he was a nice spark when he was ABLE to play but this is a team that was ridding underachieving and injury-ridden players-what did DX do to gain a reprieve when so many others couldn't.

Finally, there were are lot of Laurent Robinson posts when he did pretty well with Dallas but not so much after he signed elsewhere. I think despite Avery's success he ends up on IR as does Hoo Hoo and others who just can't seem to stay healthy. Not hoping anything bad against any of them but sometimes bad luck follows you throughout you career.

All the best DX!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I hated that he was let go. I understood it, I think most fans did. I'm also assuming the drafting of Quick, who was the big athletic receiver was kind of "that" kind or receiver that could take the same type of role or similar.
Really happy for DX but just sucks a big one that it couldn't of been with us. If Quick develops the way we all hope he will, it will take some of the sting out. For me it will anyway.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bwdenverram said:
I hated that he was let go. I understood it, I think most fans did. I'm also assuming the drafting of Quick, who was the big athletic receiver was kind of "that" kind or receiver that could take the same type of role or similar.
Really happy for DX but just sucks a big one that it couldn't of been with us. If Quick develops the way we all hope he will, it will take some of the sting out. For me it will anyway.

That is a perspective shared by most. Understandable.

Come on BQ!

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
X said:
Ram Quixote said:

Don't misunderstand. I'm not complaining about him being gone. It's just weird to me that one guy can be babied along and another can't. The 6-8 weeks he missed were taken advantage of by nobody. Again, this is all hindsight, and the comparison isn't really a comparison. That said, DX may not be a pro-bowler, but that doesn't make him any less valuable to the offense. Turner filled in pretty well for Wells in his absence, by the way, so it stands to reason that Alexander *could have been* more valuable to the offense than Wells is/was. I think Rok missing time is what screwed up the symmetry on the line with Wells out.
I would say the difference between Wells and DX, as far as babying an injury, is that the coaching staff was counting on Wells. They hadn't put so many eggs in the DX basket.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Hindsight is 20-20 fellas. Very few of us can honestly say we'd have kept DX.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
bwdenverram said:

i'm pretty sure quick was drafted to do the job dax can do now with the chargers. i just don't know why, if they knew it would take time to get quick ready to play in the nfl, they couldn't keep dax around to do the things they want quick to do in the future, just so the offense can work like they want it to.

i read somewhere that smith's contract was guarenteed. is that true? they may have screwed themselves with that when decision time came along on which wr to cut.