OK, this is my 1st post in this section (Connor Cook)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So if you didn't already know, I don't stress about the draft anymore. It makes life easier. Whoever they take I'll be happy b/c each player is a potential star. Also b/c there's too much of this during draft time :argue:.

Anyway, I know a lot want (or not want) a QB this year and especially Connor Cook. I looked everywhere to see what was wrong with him. And the biggest 3 reasons I've seen from the haters are...

1. He wasn't named a captain.

2. He snubbed Archie Griffin.

3. He's cocky/brash

What?! I don't get this. In recent years you had guys like Jameis Winston and Cam Newton who had way worse attitudes and did criminal actions and yet they were the 1st picks in their drafts!

1. Why is this made out to such a huge deal? Just b/c you don't have a "C" on a jersey doesn't mean he isn't a leader. The guy won 34 games in college as a starter? I don't think he has any off field issue like Johnny Manziel, Jameis Winston, or Cam Newton did.

2. Umm OK. This is just a stupid reason. How exactly is this a problem when playing? And no one really mentions this, he did apologize and not in one of those robotic, cliched apologies . "It was never my intent to disrespect Archie Griffin. That is not who I am as a role model, a player, or a person" blah blah blah.

3. So what? So is Philip Rivers. So are Cam and Jameis. So was Peyton. Tom Brady throws hissy fits. And before someone brings up Robert Griffin III, his demise was b/c of injury and then his ego AFTER his 1st year. Not pre-draft. So having a cocky/brash attitude could mean nothing at all.

Now I would understand if he real off-field issues or wasn't a really good player to begin with. But neither are the case here. I'm not advocating the Rams to take him or not take him. I'd be fine either way. I would though, regardless of which team he goes on (except SF), want him to succeed. This guy has been unfairly bashed for the stupidest reasons. What happens if he ends up being a great starting QB?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
@Angry Ram my concern with him is his performance with pressure. His feet don't set consistently, and he makes a lot of throws from an unbalanced frame in those situations. It could mean all sorts of things, but the rub right now is that teams are trying to figure out if fixing his footwork will improve his accuracy which is going to be needed for him to win in the NFL.

I could see him succeeding. But I think he is a developmental guy which is not a good thing given he's been in a pro style offense as long as he has. He should stand out among his peers but he doesn't. I've admitted he's the hardest guy for me to evaluate in this draft and that's still true. I wouldn't cry if they took him or anything, but he represents enormous bust risk in my estimation. I would rather have Prescott or Doughty than him, straight up, with one of our round 2 picks.

Anyway take a look at a few of his games with an eye for his form and tell me what you think.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Oh and btw check some of Doughty and Prescott's games as well. I believe both of them as well as Driskel will be in play from rounds 2-3. I have read differing evaluations of each of them that insinuate certain teams have them in that range. Driskel surprises me, but hey, they're QBs right?

Ram Pat

Rookie
Non-captain Cook..
1. Qb has to be good with his guys on O, and coach.
2. Feet not set = not accurate, wobbly ball
3. 50 mph velocity at combine... Every tape shows WR waiting for floating ball. In pros its picks
4. Not Wentz...

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Non-captain Cook..
1. Qb has to be good with his guys on O, and coach.
2. Feet not set = not accurate, wobbly ball
3. 50 mph velocity at combine... Every tape shows WR waiting for floating ball. In pros its picks
4. Not Wentz...

I'm not going say the Rams should draft Cook in the first round, but what you say about "WR waiting for floating ball" is a broad statement. I don't see this type of pass you're describing in the game tape that I have seen.

The video below has only one play where the receiver in the End Zone waits for the ball. However, the ball is thrown high, allowing the receiver to high point it for a TD.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrXSOUWCoxI

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't really care about what you listed 1-3
I don't like what I've seen from him on the field, he misses some no brainer throws
His accuracy dropped each year, hitting a low of 56%
While he throws downfield he does also throw a bunch of intermediate passes and should have significant higher comp %
Kids done get more accurate in the pros, that aint where you learn it
Of course he has a good record, the only decent team in the Big 10 during his run was Ohio State the last 2 years and Michigan this year (where they really lost but by the grace of god)
Finally, he caved in under pressure against Bama
I just don't see any high side to this kid, maybe Kyle Orton at best

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I dont like him because he isnt accurate enough and I cant stand his "Cutleresque" attitude without being as talented as Cutler. There is a reason that Cutler has never won inspite of his great talent. Cook will be a terrible pro and I want nothing to do with him.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Merlin @LACHAMP46 those are legit reasons to not take him. I totally get it. All this other fake "red flag" bs is stupid when other QBs were taking much higher with worse perception.

I don't really care about what you listed 1-3

Well that was the main point of this post. What you listed after are also reasons. I really don't care if they take him or not.

Cutleresque" attitude without being as talented as Cutler. There is a reason that Cutler has never won inspite of his great talent.

What's wrong with Jay Cutler's attitude? That 5 second video loop of him in the NFC title game? Dude isn't the reason Chicago has been on the losing end lately.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Cook's got some warts but I wouldn't have a problem spending our high 2nd on him. Not a 1st and not really in love with the idea of trading back into the 1st to get him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well that was the main point of this post. What you listed after are also reasons. I really don't care if they take him or not.
I don't think those were also reasons. I think Cooks accuracy, and that it got worse year over year, his inconsistentcy, and his crumbling against pass rush are why his draft stock is dropping. Not the stuff about his facial expressions or not being captain. Those don't help but aren't the issue. He played behind a solid oiline for his career against mostly inferior opponent. When he stepped up in class he failed. That's he issue.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
@Merlin @LACHAMP46 those are legit reasons to not take him. I totally get it. All this other fake "red flag" bs is stupid when other QBs were taking much higher with worse perception.

What's wrong with Jay Cutler's attitude? That 5 second video loop of him in the NFC title game? Dude isn't the reason Chicago has been on the losing end lately.
Dude it is well known that Cutler has a terrible attitude and doesnt have that win at all costs mentality that the best players have. He it there to cash in his paychecks and will never fully realize his talent. I see the same things in Cook except he isnt as talented as Cutler. The Rams need to avoid Cook like the the plague but knowing them they will draft him and waste the next 5 years continuing to lose.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
His accuracy dropped each year, hitting a low of 56%
While he throws downfield he does also throw a bunch of intermediate passes and should have significant higher comp %
Kids done get more accurate in the pros, that aint where you learn it
Agree with so much of this dieter......still, dude doesn't play with serious receiving talent...bunbridge isn't it....his %%% is poor, but I don't think it's an accuracy issue. Rather, he's terrible under pressure...and his accuracy suffers.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree with so much of this dieter......still, dude doesn't play with serious receiving talent...bunbridge isn't it....his %%% is poor, but I don't think it's an accuracy issue. Rather, he's terrible under pressure...and his accuracy suffers.
Burnbridge is better than anything Jared Goff has. I hear what you're saying, just seems the best defense for this kid is that. However when I've seen the kid play, the incompletions weren't in the same time zone as the receiver so lack of talent on the WR core wasn't really an issue
He played 3 good defenses in 2015
Vs Michigan- 18/39
vs Iowa- 16/32
vs Alabama- 19/39
What might have hurt him more than the WR talent was losing RB Lankford. But as a 3rd year starting QB you'd have thought his game would elevate. And IMO it went south

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Oh and btw check some of Doughty and Prescott's games as well. I believe both of them as well as Driskel will be in play from rounds 2-3. I have read differing evaluations of each of them that insinuate certain teams have them in that range. Driskel surprises me, but hey, they're QBs right?
I find Driskel very interesting; I believe he has the Highest SPARQ score of the Top 10 QB's 117.4! He's 6ft 4 / 234 / and had a 4.56 4o yard dash!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I will start by saying Im not crazy about any of the QB's this year. I think Cook has a chance to be the best of the bunch though. He is the only one who passes the eye ball test with me. I know he has a low completion percentage, but look at some of the plays. There are a few that he is trying to force a ball into a location but throws it with a purpose. They typical "only my receiver can catch this ball" types. His accuracy is good not great and ball placement could improve but its still good and with good receivers will be less of a problem...meaning less drops. Its hard to ignore his TD to INT %, which is why Im not over concerned about his comp%. Cook is willing to throw the ball away or take low risk chance by throw to spots that only his receivers can get to.

The only think I cant measure is the intangible part. Is he a pain in the butt, does he not get along with coaches, does he not love football? I will never know, we dont have access to that kind of thing. But if he passes the interview process and you think these things are false then to me he would be my first choice in this class.

I will say this the way he plays the game though, shows me a guy who love football and wants to win.

If he passes the character concerns, he would be a steal at 15 IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Burnbridge is better than anything Jared Goff has.
No way.....Trevor Davis, Stephen Anderson(TE), Bryce Treggs & Maurice Harris. Add in a plus receiving RB like Lasco.......Naw, Burnbridge got some hype, but he isn't as good as Davis or Treggs.....Goff has future pro players at most of the skilled positions...collectively the squad is 10x what Cook worked with for the last 2 years....

I find Driskel very interesting; I believe he has the Highest SPARQ score of the Top 10 QB's 117.4! He's 6ft 4 / 234 / and had a 4.56 4o yard dash!
I like Driskel too...boy was winging that rock in the Senior Bowl....Combine too...
does he not love football?..........I will say this the way he plays the game though, shows me a guy who love football and wants to win.
Key question right here...and I bet he does....

Funny thing is, Cook is good to me, but so are a bunch of the top 8 QB's. Our team could win with any of them.....

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dude it is well known that Cutler has a terrible attitude and doesnt have that win at all costs mentality that the best players have. He it there to cash in his paychecks and will never fully realize his talent.

Because a lot of media try to paint him in that picture? Win at all cost mentality? Is that why he doesn't have the 8th most 4th qtr comebacks since 1960? http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_active.htm

I don't think those were also reasons.

Sorry I should been more clear, the rest of that list were also reasons you shouldn't take him. Main point is these arbitrary stuff you can't actually see on the field is stupid.