Oh, the running game Irony...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Consider the following...

Fisher says we are a run oriented team

We drafted seasoned college O linemen, all huge, that were known for their run blocking abilities.

GRob was a run blocking beast at Auburn.

Saffold is no slouch at run blocking, himself. Excellent at pulling and 2nd level blocking.

We have a trio of RB's that may be the deepest in the league in Gurley, Mason, and Cunningham.

And yet...

We can't run the danged ball. Not worth a lick.

Who saw this coming? I sure didn't.

The ingredients are in the cake, but it still ain't rising.

How can this NOT be a coaching issue? At least a significant part? I mean, what else is left?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
When you want to be a dominant running team, you don't put out guys like Jared Cook and Tavon Austin. Not that great of blockers in a heavy run scheme. Cook has the ability, but no desire. Austin has the ability, but not the size and strength. They don't fit what we want to do.

You also don't make these refrigerators block on the move in a ZBS. They don't have the athleticism to do it.

It's confusing to me.

So much invested into this run game, and somehow we're using them all wrong.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Tavons blocking has been pretty good this year. Our tight ends haven't helped much and it looks like there is still a good amount of indecision among the O Line -

But - not to sound like a broken record with this - but how about having a few options at the line of scrimmage and running a play that isn't going to go into the heart of what the defense is throwing out there?

And for goodness sakes - get the ball to Tavon more often. Defenses haven't had an answer for him yet - but we keep just teasing it out there. Even if it is a handoff or a reverse or a screen - run those plays and keep me coming.

beej

Rookie
If I recall, isn't Boras the guy who is designing the run plays? I thought I remembered hearing that was how it was going to go when they promoted Cignetti. People here know a lot more than I do, but he is also the Tight Ends coach. And we are not seeing a lot of production in either group. Maybe this isn't his fault. I'm not close enough to the team to know. But I am starting to get suspicious of some of the position coaches on this team.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
You've got rookies playing and young players playing in a new system.

Even when we had some vets in GW's new D, it took them 6+ games for them to get it together.

Jamon Brown is already really getting it, allowing NO QB hurries against Pitt and the pass pro is actually AHEAD of the run blocking.

Why is that a good thing? Well, normally, for run blockers, pass pro is a liability and this team is very much set up as a mauling team that turns out to be very, very capable in pass pro even as they are learning the O.

Btw, we've gone against some of the best Ds in the league in Seattle and Pitt (and Washington completely played over their head, but they're not without talent on D)

We've also not had the same RB or RB rotation for each game. Seattle was Benny and Pead. Washington was Mason and Benny. Pitt was Mason, Gurley and Benny. So, there's no game plan cohesion, yet, with respect to the running game.

And, let's go back a bit. All this was talked about in preseason. Expecting our O to just steamroll isn't realistic. That they are looking close enough that we maintain that expectation only shows how close we are and that it's coming.

These next two games are gonna be tough and they may be ugly losses. I'm prepared for that.

I'm focused on that first game after the bye. I EXPECT us to WRECK after the bye.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
You know who is a beast WR at blocking and doesn't get used in packages designed for run plays? Bradley Marquez, just go watch his college highlights if you don't believe me.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Cohesion, continuity, consistency, c.....

They take time, but we also need to be able to pass when they're stacking the box...the reason our TE's are so open, I think, is because the safeties & linebackers are gearing up for the run....

I don't believe this line will be the main problem after the break...the pass blocking has been good....what's the problem there?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Tavons blocking has been pretty good this year

It hasn't been bad, for a guy his size, but he's going to be a liability if he ever has to block anyone other than a corner. I can trust Quick or Britt or any of those guys against safeties or even linebackers at times. But not Tavon. He can do enough to lock them up for a little bit, but he really can't prevent anyone from making a play. That's not his strength.

jap

Legend
The Gurley Train is only getting warmed up. He had to get exposed to enemy hits if only to get over the psychological barrier of wonder if his knee would hold up. I figured he would be a little self conscious about the knee for the first few carries then would morph into normal self confidence. However, the Steelers' ability to sustain long, clock-killing drives impacted the number of Gurley touches.

Cookie is very frustrating as a blocker. With two take-it-to-the-house threats like Tavon and the Gurley Express onboard the U.S.S. Horns, everybody! has to block. He doesn't even have to pancake anyone; he can simply just screen them off. Tavon is a very willing blocker. The 89-yard scamper to pay dirt doesn't happen last year for Tre if Tavon failed to take out two! DB's who were running Tre down. Tavon surprised the first by almost literally running underneath him, causing him to trip & fall. Tavon then screened the other guy off by bumping him off course. There is simply no reason why Cookie can't do likewise.

I thought Jrry had a great point about the early over emphasis on zone blocking. With a new QB at the helm and young WR's trying to grow up, you need a dominant running game to set the offensive tone. The zone blocking can slowly mixed in, but we need pile drivers to clear space out for our guys. Give Gurley or Tavon a little daylight and DC's morph into panic mode. The DC's load up the box, and Nick can go downtown on them.

ItsonTavon

Rookie
Name
Erick
I think the difference between the first and only win. Then our two losses is running the ball.That Sea game Cunningham was the hero. Any time we needed to get a first he got it.Offence would have a chance to at least let our defence rest or get a field goal. Now after starting Benny we started Tre Mason. He just seemed not 100% on both our past games. Now I think Todd Gurley played well, but had limited touches. So right now if we can get some production from our RB's it will make our OC an easier time calling plays that will work. Now I know our Oline did not look the best of late but I think if we fix the RB from gaining no yards or 1 yard or even lose yards per carry. I really think we have a chance to beat some strong teams. (hopefully some weak ones too haha)

Athos

Legend
I figured out run blocking would be average and working up to above average by mid season. I figured pass pro would be atrocious.

It's been the opposite. Run game has been pure trash. Pass pro adequate. Plays have been there and Foles has missed or DELETED have been dropping balls. Or running bad routes.

And I think it has to be scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Could it be that other teams are stacking the box and daring us to pass? Isn't that what they have been doing for years? I'm just asking. If that is the case, wouldn't it make sense to throw the ball a little more? I think this offense has to learn how to attack defenses. Just my two cents.

69superbowl

Rookie
Fisher to the NFL: Screw this secrecy and complicated play calling crap. We are going to run the ball right at you.

The NFL to Fisher: Thanks DELETED. Enjoy your 40 yards a game (from RBs).

Last edited by a moderator:

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Cohesion, continuity, consistency, c.....

They take time, but we also need to be able to pass when they're stacking the box...the reason our TE's are so open, I think, is because the safeties & linebackers are gearing up for the run....

I don't believe this line will be the main problem after the break...the pass blocking has been good....what's the problem there?

things I don't understand. 1 we get g rob who needs a lot of fundamental work and we train him a 2 position. 2 we have 3 players competing for center position and we don't decide on 1 until the season starts. for cohesion that decision should have been made after training camp. 3 we start 2 rookies on the right side then 2 weeks into the preseason we switch 1 to the right side. 4 with all the inexperience we have on the ol we have them learn 2 blocking schemes

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I recall, isn't Boras the guy who is designing the run plays? I thought I remembered hearing that was how it was going to go when they promoted Cignetti. People here know a lot more than I do, but he is also the Tight Ends coach. And we are not seeing a lot of production in either group. Maybe this isn't his fault. I'm not close enough to the team to know. But I am starting to get suspicious of some of the position coaches on this team.

I think your point about Boras may be the best of all so far, beej.

Boras has some 'splaining to do about both the run game and TE play so far this season.

Is Boras being spread too thin? So much that he now can't do either job properly? Is he guilty of putting a square peg into a round hole with Zone blocking with our personnel? Or is Boras the extra cook in the kitchen that Cigs doesn't want or need? I dunno...

While we're at it, what's up with Sherman and his WR's? Anybody thrilled with our WR play so far?

Then again, WR's are leading our team in rushing.

Oh Wait... Lol.

V3

Hall of Fame
When you want to be a dominant running team, you don't put out guys like Jared Cook and Tavon Austin. Not that great of blockers in a heavy run scheme. Cook has the ability, but no desire. Austin has the ability, but not the size and strength. They don't fit what we want to do.

You also don't make these refrigerators block on the move in a ZBS. They don't have the athleticism to do it.

It's confusing to me.

So much invested into this run game, and somehow we're using them all wrong.
Well, the coaches are responsible for making these decisions so @Rams43 isn't wrong in his assessment. The players have to take some of the blame, too, since they aren't performing, but coaches need to be able to adapt to their players' deficiencies and make the necessary adjustments.

I agree with what you said, BTW.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
things I don't understand. 1 we get g rob who needs a lot of fundamental work and we train him a 2 position. 2 we have 3 players competing for center position and we don't decide on 1 until the season starts. for cohesion that decision should have been made after training camp. 3 we start 2 rookies on the right side then 2 weeks into the preseason we switch 1 to the right side. 4 with all the inexperience we have on the ol we have them learn 2 blocking schemes
Interesting take....and no easy answers....all legitimate questions...wish you could attend a presser and ask these rapid fire style...at Cig, coach Boo, and then Fisher, without either hearing the others responses...

I was so mad at question #3, but only glossed over it...Didn't wanna be a dickie downer...made no sense...and when combined, all those things do equal a slow start...that being said, they're pros, and guess what? Getting better, game by game...Watch jamon Brown & G-Rob in some pass pro...excellent footwork, teamwork going on...passing off guys....It's the running game...some plays there are holes...most plays someone is entirely unblocked...Our first 2 runs versus the Steelers were great....Mason had huge lanes...so, like I said, they'll be fine....in a lil more time...Esp. G-Rob....dude is still a freak of nature.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Consider the following...

Fisher says we are a run oriented team

We drafted seasoned college O linemen, all huge, that were known for their run blocking abilities.

GRob was a run blocking beast at Auburn.

Saffold is no slouch at run blocking, himself. Excellent at pulling and 2nd level blocking.

We have a trio of RB's that may be the deepest in the league in Gurley, Mason, and Cunningham.

And yet...

We can't run the danged ball. Not worth a lick.

Who saw this coming? I sure didn't.

The ingredients are in the cake, but it still ain't rising.

How can this NOT be a coaching issue? At least a significant part? I mean, what else is left?
I saw it coming. At best I thought we'd be able to design some plays that utilized Harkey as the ISO and find a way to get him to the linebackers using just the O-linemen's strengths. At worst, I saw defenses designing plays that would confuse our inexperienced line into deciding what to do i real-time and capitalizing on stunts and delayed blitzes. I know it's an old and tired suggestion, but we really do need to give them some time. By week 5, all time has run out. So if they don't have it figured out by then, then sadly, we're not going to have a winning record again. So I'm willing to give it 2 more weeks before I can determine (personally) if what they're doing in the way of coaching and film study is effective.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I went back and watched the Steelers game again, painful as it was. Cigs' gameplan against them was actually quite good, and involved significant amounts of big play potential in what he drew up with TE vs LB matchups particularly in the middle of the field. There were actually a couple cases where Cook was open with a lot of green around him but Foles didn't go to him. Others got open too, wasn't just him.

So IMO they had a specific gameplan to attack the Steelers a certain way and Foles had trouble executing it. That's what I'm seeing at least so take it fwiw. Go back to the Seahawks game and their plan was brilliant with the short passes and misdirection that had the Shehawks off kilter the whole game. The Skins was an effin catastrophe, and I cannot get myself to rewatch it.

My point here is that I don't know that Cigs has designed a gameplan yet that focuses the running game. He seems to focus and attack a certain set of weaknesses against our opponent vice going in with a philosophy of they adjust to us. Even the Skins I have a feeling they wanted to attack that secondary but the line just got overrun. And it has shown with better pass pro than run blocking overall, probably because that's been the focus through the first three for the most part. This is also why I've been asking that question of what the Rams identity is.

Fast forward to this game against AZ, and there is absolutely zero doubt that the run game is the priority. And it coincides interestingly enough as being the first game where Fish is going to take the wraps off of Gurley.

So let's wait and see what this offense does Sunday. Honestly after re-watching that Steelers game I feel a lot better about it. Foles just isn't hitting on all cylinders yet, dude did not have a great game from my perspective.