Oh it's on now. Kellen Clemens re-signs.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Championship.

BUY9hnQ.jpg

PhxRam

I dont mind signing a guy like Clemens. Knows the system more importantly knows his role. Hell I am sure he is just content cashing a NFL paycheck.

A55VA6

Legend
Why re-sign him? In my opinion, he is TERRIBLE. Ugh.

Pray to God Bradford stays healthy.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
3rd QB or cut if Davis can take another step in year 2. Thought Davis won the job outright in the 2012 preseason. Fish indicated he liked Davis for the #2 spot this year. Clemens could just be a camp body if Davis has another strong preseason showing

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Ugh really? Ah oh well. I suspect only competition for Davis..Who I also suspect will outplay Clemens in the pre-season once again...This time Davis will actually be titled 2nd QB though. :ww: :cool:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'll just echo the sentiment that A.Davis wins the #2 job.

There comes a point in a backup QB's career when his experience of an offensive system is trumped by the lack of experience in terms of his on the field production & competence.

IMO Clemons' playbook knowledge isn't worth a roster spot anymore in St Louis.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
You guys are being a little harsh. For all we know he could be a stand up team-mate who helps Sam out in a lot of ways. You don't have to be productive on the field to contribute something.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
ScotsRam said:
You guys are being a little harsh. For all we know he could be a stand up team-mate who helps Sam out in a lot of ways. You don't have to be productive on the field to contribute something.

I'm with you on this one ScotsRam - Clemens' understanding of the play-book and what Schotty wants (he was with him for 4 years at the Jets remember) just because his on-the-field production is lacking doesn't mean he's not an integral part of the team - Fish has said Davies is the #2, so why waste time in brining in another QB who'll have to learn the system, purely as the back-up's back-up? I can't imagine he's on a huge salary either.

Lets call Clemens the base-line QB - he knows the system and the Offensive Coordinator like the back of his hand, but isn't going to light up any games. It's good to have a safety net like Clemens, besides I'd hate to the the Seahawks or 49ers pick him up off waivers, pick his brain on our playbook, then cut him...

It's all about stability guys...

A55VA6

Legend
If Sam enjoys his presence than I'm cool with it. But I just don't want the rams banking on Clemens to win games. That's all. Davis has a better chance.

But yeah, if its a locker room thing, great.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
It might even just be a "camp arm that knows the playbook" thing. His presence at TC will be far more valuable than a UDFA who is unlikely to make the team anyway.

fearsomefour

Legend
The biggest thing Davis brought to the table in the preseason was being able to evade the rush. I wasnt blown away by his arm (didnt think it was bad either). Having a mobile backup makes sense in that the first reaction of most coordinators when a backup comes in is to blitz. But, I think resigning Clemons is a good move. A backup QB, particulary a third, should be; inexpensive, a good team guy, know the playbook, be experienced enough to help prepare the D for the following week. Checks. I think Davis would be used to help prepare the D for Kap and Wilson however. Dont see Clemons running a lot in practice.
One thing for sure, we know what Clemons brings, we dont know in total what Davis can be. So, give Davis the reps a #2 gets and see if he develops. Nothing to lose.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
ScotsRam said:
Totally agree. And I'm pretty sure Fisher and Snead know a little bit more than we do. At least I hope they do.

GO RAMS!!!!

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
rickrawk said:
ScotsRam said:
Totally agree. And I'm pretty sure Fisher and Snead know a little bit more than we do. At least I hope they do.

GO RAMS!!!!

You'd wanna hope so.

Sometimes a backup is required that is more a team orientated steady player rather than a super talented threat to the number one guy.

Not unhappy with this signing.

fearsomefour

Legend
"Kellen Clemens combines the moxy of Brock Berlin with the hutzbah of Joe Germaine."

LOL. Poor Brock Berlin.