Ogletree to Take Over at Middle Linebacker/Simmons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ogletree to Take Over at Middle Linebacker

Myles Simmons

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Ogletree-to-Take-Over-at-Middle-Linebacker/dc919b33-06bf-44ee-a1e4-e552a9fa6969

INDIANAPOLIS -- There’s plenty of change to go around this offseason for the Rams, obviously beginning with the team’s return to Los Angeles. But when it comes to on-field moves, the team made waves by releasing three of its veteran players last week: defensive end Chris Long, tight end Jared Cook, and linebacker James Laurinaitis.

As head coach Jeff Fisher put it Wednesday afternoon, letting go of veterans can be a tough but necessary process for the growth of a football team.

“It’s not easy,” Fisher said at his NFL Combine press conference. “It’s part of the process for planning for the future. In particular, Chris and James were basically the faces of our franchise for years in St. Louis. And I have total respect for their commitment, not only on the field, but off the field -- what they did in the community.”

But when it comes to performance, the primary question that comes up in moving on from Laurinaitis is, who replaces him? That’s a significant task, given Laurinaitis’ durability and his all-time leading franchise mark of 1,015 tackles.

After Wednesday, there’s no more need for speculation, as Fisher named Alec Ogletree Los Angeles’ middle linebacker going forward.

“Yes, Alec’s going to be our Mike,” Fisher said. “I’ve had the conversation with him since the difficult time in releasing James, and Alec is really excited about moving inside.”

“As I told James, that was the reason for the decision,” Fisher added.

Ogletree played in only four games in 2015 due to a season-ending, lower-leg fracture suffered against Arizona on Oct. 4. But the Georgia product was one of the most productive defensive players in the league at weakside linebacker, racking up 55 total tackles and 2.0 sacks in that time.

“I think Alec, where he was playing before he got hurt in Arizona -- it’s hard to find someone playing inside behind the ball who was more productive,” Fisher said.

Though the Rams certainly missed Ogletree through the rest of the season, the injury did provide an opportunity for Mark Barron to emerge in that weakside spot on the defense. Acquired in a trade from the Buccaneers midway through 2014, Barron ended 2015 with a team-leading 135 total tackles. He also forced four fumbles, recorded eight quarterback hits, and had five passes defensed.

Fisher gave credit to defensive coordinator Gregg Williams for his creativity in scheming ways for Barron to become so productive.

“Early on in the season -- unfortunately when we lost Alec -- Mark’s reps increased and I thought he had a really good year,” Fisher said. “So, as you see, there’s a trend in the league right now for that type of guy. And we feel like he really fits into our defense. So he’s obviously a priority from the standpoint of getting him re-signed.”

“You need the quickness,” Fisher said of Barron’s skill set. “You need the ability to play sideline-to-sideline and push down the field, and matchup. And you need matchups on the running backs. Those kinds of players, that type of athlete kind of gives you that chance.”

Fisher said ideally, Barron will be next to Ogletree when next season begins in September. And as for the new middle linebacker, the head coach said Ogletree will be able to fill the leadership role the position requires.

“Alec’s going to get people lined up. He’s going to call plays. He’s a really smart player,” Fisher said. “I’m confident Alec can do it.”

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I benched James and moved Ogletree to the middle in Madden all year. Clearly, I should have a real NFL job.

Psycho_X

Legend
The whole Ogeltree to middle and Baron staying in trees old spot sounds all fine and dandy and could be amazing... but shouldn't they make sure Barron is signed and delivered before committing to such things?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Alec’s going to get people lined up. He’s going to call plays. He’s a really smart player,” Fisher said. “I’m confident Alec can do it

I have been a big fan of AO from the start. I got his jersey.

I hope Fisher is right and AO is ready.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have been a big fan of AO from the start. I got his jersey.

I hope Fisher is right and AO is ready.
The year they drafted Ogletree I had the Rams taking him and they did! I happy for him!!

jap

Legend
The whole Ogeltree to middle and Baron staying in trees old spot sounds all fine and dandy and could be amazing... but shouldn't they make sure Barron is signed and delivered before committing to such things?

Don Fisher: "I shall make him an offer he can't refuse!"

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Ogletree in the middle vs the Run will be ugly. Mark my words.

We'll see. I think a lot of y'all underestimate him. I still remember the 2012 SEC championship game when he planted Eddie Lacy at the goal line. Lacy had about a 9 yard running start and Tree stopped him dead in his tracks. Not saying he'll be the next Ray Lewis but when he's healthy he's not bad against the run.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
So maybe those three pounds of extra weight JL had to carry is what was making him slow to the ball and hindering his pass coverage skills.

Right?

:whistle:
And that quote surely justifies our concerns rather than allaying them. We have concerns over Ogletree's size and his ability to get off blocks inside where it's really rough. Why? Because a guy who's played there for years of a similar size struggled throughout to do just that!

My concern is, as good as Barron played in that role, and in the Big Nickel package, Ogletree was better at it. He's untried playing Mike. So we could be weaker at TWO positions at linebacker rather than at one...

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
And that quote surely justifies our concerns rather than allaying them. We have concerns over Ogletree's size and his ability to get off blocks inside where it's really rough. Why? Because a guy who's played there for years of a similar size struggled throughout to do just that!

My concern is, as good as Barron played in that role, and in the Big Nickel package, Ogletree was better at it. He's untried playing Mike. So we could be weaker at TWO positions at linebacker rather than at one...

So...you think Tree is going to be worse than Laurinaitis? Y'all are killing me here.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I just hope they get a linebacker in this next draft. And a defensive end :)

…..

Legend
Not too concerned with this move. I saw a few signs early last year that had me thinking Alec could play the middle. What concerns me is our depth, or lack of depth, and I suppose thats why we have Greg Williams. Eventually though, even Williams will run out of decent chess pieces so I'm assuming the position will be addressed via mid range free agency.

Ram65

Legend
I'm not sold on Tree in the middle. It won't take long to find out if he can get off blocks. Hope he stays healthy. Fisher thinks he is ready so let's see.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm conflicted about the move of Tree to MLB, myself.

Can he shed? Can he make textbook tackles instead of the "shoulder pad " variety?

But either one of Fisher or GW have forgotten more about defensive football than I will ever know, so there is that.

A faster and quicker MLB is a good thing. We've seen what Huechly and Wagner mean to their respective D's.

Maybe this move is the trend in MLB play when a team is fortunate enough to have an athlete like Tree?

Guess the smart thing is for me to keep an open mind.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I'm not sure it was JL's size that was his problem lol, it was his speed and drag down tackling style. He didn't stop a runner most of the time, he pulled them down. And in coverage he was just too slow to handle a TE, let alone a RB out of the backfield if he had to take that assignment.

JL is a pro's pro, and always gave his best effort and is a good team mate and locker room presence. But that doesn't make him an excellent MLB and in fact he is rated pretty low and was getting paid a lot of money. Sometimes a guy gets to the point where his body can't do what his mind wants it to and IMO he's there. He was last year too IMO.

fearsomefour

Legend
The year they drafted Ogletree I had the Rams taking him and they did! I happy for him!!
Me as well, I was very happy when they landed....particularly where they drafted him. Lucky for the Rams he fell.
With Hayes, Donald, Brockers, Quinn, Ogletree, Barron in the front seven that is a very, very athletic front 7. Ayers at LB and depth along the Dline are the only questions then really.