Ogletree on the road to recovery/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ogletree on the road to recovery

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_411212f3-cf78-5dff-9177-4b69e926bda4.html

When the Rams originally placed Alec Ogletree on the injured reserve-designated for return list in late October, it was with the idea that maybe — just maybe — he would be healthy and ready for the playoffs.

So it was interesting to see Ogletree running around on the grass in Napa, Calif., as the Rams prepared for their season finale against San Francisco. Obviously, the Rams had been eliminated from playoff consideration a couple of weeks earlier. So why was he out there?

“Well, from a timing standpoint he’s ready to start doing things on the grass,” coach Jeff Fisher said before the team’s 19-16, season-ending loss to the 49ers. “He’s been straight-line running for a week or so, and we wanted to introduce some change of direction to him. No better place to do so than on the field with his teammates.”

Keep in mind, Ogletree wasn’t running around with his teammates in practice; just running around on the side while his teammates practiced.

“It’s been a long road,” Ogletree said. “Everything’s going according to plan. It felt good to be out there running around a little and just doing stuff. I’m looking forward to continuing my rehab and just getting back healthy.”

Ogletree had an instant impact after being drafted late in the first round (30th overall) in the 2013 draft out of Georgia. As a rookie, he ended fellow linebacker James Laurinaitis’ four-year run as the Rams’ tackling leader with 155 stops. He was even better in 2014, with a team-high 169 tackles, not to mention two interceptions, five forced fumbles and 11 pass breakups. No sophomore slump here.

And with 55 tackles in just four games, including a monster total of 18 in Week 2 against Washington, Ogletree was off to his best start yet. London Fletcher’s single-season franchise record of 193 tackles, set in 2000, may have been in jeopardy.

But during that fourth game, the Rams’ 24-22 upset victory Oct. 4 at Arizona, Ogletree suffered a broken right fibula chasing down Cardinals running back Chris Johnson. The injury occurred when teammate T.J. McDonald rolled up on Ogletree’s legs from behind, on the tail end of a 19-yard run by Johnson late in the third quarter. Ogletree had surgery two days later, with a plate inserted in the leg.

Since then, he’s watched the play a couple of times on tape.

“It was a freak accident and it’s part of the game,” Ogletree said. “You know, injuries happen.”

So Ogletree won’t tell McDonald to calm down just a little next time?

“He’s a great competitor,” Ogletree said, laughing. “He competes like the rest of us.”

Friendly fire, as they say.

It was the first of several injuries that gradually took some bite out of the Rams’ defense. Defensive end Chris Long suffered a fractured bone in a knee-to-knee collision in Green Bay the following week. A nagging back injury finally caught up with defensive end Robert Quinn a few weeks later.

Eventually, McDonald himself was out for the year with a shoulder injury, and cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson were temporarily sidelined. All told, the Rams’ opening day starters on defense missed a combined 32 starts because of injury.

Even with the surprisingly strong play of Mark Barron, who basically filled Ogletree’s weakside role, the absence of Ogletree hurt.

“It was tough (not playing) because just as a competitor you want to get out on the field,” Ogletree said. “But the team comes first and we always preach the next man up philosophy. The guys stepped in and did what they had to do, and continued to play well. When you’ve got guys that can step in when somebody falls out, that definitely helps.”

Ogletree praised the work of Barron, and helped Barron when he could.

“He’s done a tremendous job,” Ogletree said. “I already knew how he was feeling, being that I played safety before I moved to linebacker.”

For Ogletree, that safety-to-linebacker transition came in college, not the pros.

Ogletree said he experienced no pain or soreness during those Napa workouts. There’s no doubt in his mind he will have his speed and range back next season. In fact, he’s expecting bigger and better things.

“Yes, that’s definitely gonna be the case,” Ogletree said.

Had the Rams indeed qualified for the playoffs it would have been interesting to see if Ogletree made it all the way back.

“Yeah, I think that was part of the plan,” Ogletree said. “I definitely would’ve tried to get back.”

Had the Rams not fallen off course with their five-game losing streak in November and early December, they may have tried to push Ogletree’s timetable for recovery. We’ll never know, because the Rams once again failed to make the playoffs, their 11th straight season without a postseason berth.

“So the rehab, we’re not rushing anything. We’re just gonna take our time, get everything right, and go from there,” Ogletree said.

Which means Ogletree should take part in the offseason conditioning program in the spring, and the practice sessions in June — wherever those sessions might take place.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ogletree said he experienced no pain or soreness during those Napa workouts. There’s no doubt in his mind he will have his speed and range back next season. In fact, he’s expecting bigger and better things.

“Yes, that’s definitely gonna be the case,” Ogletree said.
My master plan
Move Tree to MLB....
Grab Wentz, a wr (Doctson/Thomas/Treadwell), and that LB from Notre Dame (he falls due to major knee reconstruction) and a late round center in this draft...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
My master plan
Move Tree to MLB....
Grab Wentz, a wr (Doctson/Thomas/Treadwell), and that LB from Notre Dame (he falls due to major knee reconstruction) and a late round center in this draft...
I think moving Tree is a valid consideration, even if, he only plays there part time, to learn the position, and spell JL55. Barron's play, makes this a possibility. I, too, like Wentz, a great deal, but would only draft one WR, and sign a big name FA WR, which would help with the learning curve, and production at the position.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
sign a big name FA WR
Hmm, I'll play....whom do YOU see coming to this offense? Without a HUGE overpay?

We shoulda targeted LOCAL wr talent.... I was screaming from the hills...draft DGB...before it was another under-rated combine phenom...Martavious B. Now we gotta hope and pray on...who? The Cinnci re-treads? I like Marvin jones too, but not with this offense...Who? Alshon J? seriously.....WHO good doctor, WHO?!?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Hmm, I'll play....whom do YOU see coming to this offense? Without a HUGE overpay?

We shoulda targeted LOCAL wr talent.... I was screaming from the hills...draft DGB...before it was another under-rated combine phenom...Martavious B. Now we gotta hope and pray on...who? The Cinnci re-treads? I like Marvin jones too, but not with this offense...Who? Alshon J? seriously.....WHO good doctor, WHO?!?
Marvin Jones is a name that I like, and don't think he would break the bank, and Travis Benjamin, who has improved every year, and could be paired with DeFilippo? Two completely different guys, but my point is that two rookies, are one too many, we need future, and immediate help. Reuben Randle, would be another consideration. I'd be shocked if Alshon was available, and he'd be too expensive.

I wanted to draft a WR a couple years ago, in a very strong WR draft.

Last edited: