Ogletree Feels “Ten Times Better” for the 2015 Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ogletree Feels “Ten Times Better” for the 2015 Season
Posted by: Brandt Dolce

http://www.101sports.com/2015/08/30...ard-better-2015-better-physical-mental-shape/

When the St. Louis Rams drafted Alec Ogletree out of Georgia in the first round of the 2013 draft, the franchise expected an instant impact. While the outside linebacker has undoubtedly realized his immense capabilities at times, he’s also seemed lost and confused for some periods.

Ogletree has started all 32 games in his NFL career, totaling three interceptions, 10 forced fumbles, and one long touchdown of 98 yards.

Ogletree came into the league a physical specimen, at 6’3″ and nearly 250 pounds, boasting lateral quickness and overall speed. In an attempt to improve this strength, he trimmed down the off season, somewhere between 10-12 pounds.

He hopes the transformation will make him even faster in 2015.

“Just being able to move a little quicker, side to side, getting downhill fast, just open up and run. I just wanted to be able to move around and not feel as heavy.” Ogletree said.

Another way a player can become faster involves advanced grasp of concepts and being able to utilize instincts and reactions.

Ogletree says he’s in a great place mentally, compared to previous years.

“Me, personally? I feel ten times better. I understand the defense a lot more, than I did last year. This year is more of a mental approach to the game, versus a physical aspect. I feel pretty good in the defense, and know what Coach wants me to do. I’m able to get lined up, and just play fast.” Ogletree said. “I’m able to key and diagnose and play, and just react to the ball, just go around and make plays. I definitely wanted to make strides in that area.

Nearly every defensive player on the Rams roster isn’t shy about commenting on the high expectations expected of the defense by local and national pundits.

Ogletree notes the Rams have the defensive personnel in place to reach the next level, and says improving communication among teammates is key to meeting and hopefully exceeding lofty expectations.

“We definitely have a good shot at being the best defense, but we definitely have to work on communicating and just going out there and playing together to be one of the best in the league. That’s definitely our goal to be a top five defense in the League. We are definitely going to come out here and work every day and try and reach that.” Ogletree said.

If there’s a question mark that stands out for the 2015 Rams, it’s on the offensive side of the ball.

It’s no secret that the Rams have struggled to get first downs with their first team offense all preseason. Dating back the last few years, the same case can be made for the team during the regular season.

Constantly in tight games, and constantly on the field with short series by the offense, the defense doesn’t worry about what’s out of their control. Ogletree says all the defense can do is do their job, and let the chips fall where they may.

“Our job as defensive players is to go out there and stop the other team from scoring points. Anytime we are out on the field, our job is to stop the other team from scoring. We’re banging on our offense to put up some points, but at the same time, it’s our job to go out there and stop the other offense from putting up points.” Ogletree said.

It doesn’t get any easier in week one, as the Rams open the season with the defending NFC Champion, the Seattle Seahawks, at the Edward Jones Dome. It may be as good a time as any to play Seattle. It won’t be easy, even if the Seahawks are missing key players.

Ogletree is open to the challenge, saying he and his teammates will be ready for the Hawks at the Dome week one.

“It’s going to be a good challenge for us, right off the bat, to come out and play the team that was just in the Super Bowl. They’ve got a pretty good offensive scheme. It’s going to be a big challenge for us. I know we’re going to be ready to play week one.”

Ramfreak+1

UDFA
Olgetree remains a mystery for me. Doesn't always seem to know what he's doing before it's too late. Early in his career he was creating turnovers every time he got his hands on a player. Last year it seemed like he was running in circles. So far in preseason he hasn't looked impressive. We already have JL55 getting manhandled by linemen on every running play, now Olgetree looks to be out of position often. To have a solid run stopping defense, somebody from the LB core has to be available to make a tackle. This is an area of weakness for this defense. The front 4 is our strength. The other part of the front 7 is still very much in question.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Have to concur with @Ramfreak+1 ....until one of these guys grab this position buy the horns, I see problems...There are elite RB's in the NFL in every city....Seattle is 2-3 weeks away...We need Tree to step the fuck up....Ayers too. Donald & Brockers shouldn't have to play like other worldy beings before we start stuffing plays...it should be series 1...play 1..