OG situation next year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying the moment of this team making a push for the playoffs. Kudos to Fish and Snead for the tremendous job the are doing. I'm pumped for these last few games. Its been a while since the Rams have played in meaninful games this far into December.

I'm curious on thoughts regarding OG for '13. I have seen mocks where OG, Warmack from 'Bama is picked in the first. I agree that we need an OT but not sure I'm in for a OG this early. We have Turner in the mix even though I believe he signed a one year deal. He provides versatility at OG, OC and has looked good. What he has contributed this year paired with his loyalty to Schotty makes me think he'll be back. My personal favorite is Rok starting at LG. We also have highly touted Brandon Washinton waiting in the wings. RG should be a done deal with Harvey Dahl. I believe Barksdale can also play OG as well as OT. I won't overlook him to be the potential starter at RT next year although I wish we had a bigger smaple size of his play there from this year. I'm sure the fact that Fisher is in Win Now Mode is the reason we haven't seen more of Barksdale.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, Turner and Rok might be the answer there. If they feel that's the line they want, then we probably won't see any linemen taken high in the draft. A popular school of thought is that Boudreau can take just about anyone and turn him into a good lineman - provided he has the attitude and desire he's looking for. If that's correct, then we couldn't really ask for anything better. It gives them the opportunity to draft playmakers at positions of need.

Oh, and it's good to see you again Steve-O

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Warmack and Cooper seem to be the consensus top guards at the moment.

I love the idea of adding some help at guard and OT. This draft seems heavy at the top with those kind of players.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Yeah, Turner and Rok might be the answer there. If they feel that's the line they want, then we probably won't see any linemen taken high in the draft. A popular school of thought is that Boudreau can take just about anyone and turn him into a good lineman - provided he has the attitude and desire he's looking for. If that's correct, then we couldn't really ask for anything better. It gives them the opportunity to draft playmakers at positions of need.

Oh, and it's good to see you again Steve-O

Thanks Paul, good to be back. I've had next to no time to post anywhere recently. I did however witness that outstanding curtain call at the official Bradford bashing site that you made. I thoroughly enjoyed that. :sly:

I agree that Boudreau and Fish seem to take pride in making water into wine with the Oline. I am pleasantly surprised as to how well they have performed for the amount of shuffling that has gone on thus far. That is very hard to do. Continuity is so important on the line, these guys haven't had the chance to develop, yet they have performed adequately. Tough task. Speaks volumes on the coaching. Barksdale and Washington have talent too. They may be pretty good with a training camp under their belts. I also forgot Shelley earlier who also played reasonably well. That should be enough talent to work with especially with an entire offseason.

F. Mulder

Starter
I think the Guard situation is deeper and potentially more solid than Tackle. They still need to resign Turner but frankly I'd like him to be the 6th, swingman type OG. Watkins, B. Washington (on p.s), Smith, obviously along with Dahl, should lead to a pretty solid and deeper OG unit but that presumes guys like Watkings, Smith, Washington develop and they resign Turner. I don't see Barksdale playing Guard FWIW.

At Tackle you have Saffold. Hunter's contract is rather large, and although he has been decent, I don't see him back. They may keep Richardson but likely as a backup Tackle at a reasonable price. If they feel Barksdale and/or Tye Nshke (sp?) are equal then he is gone. Still, I think you need a quality tackle and that is where I'd look in the draft vs. guard (at least early). Now a guard later in the draft is fine by me. I don't think Chris Williams will be back either.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
F. Mulder said:
I think the Guard situation is deeper and potentially more solid than Tackle. They still need to resign Turner but frankly I'd like him to be the 6th, swingman type OG. Watkins, B. Washington (on p.s), Smith, obviously along with Dahl, should lead to a pretty solid and deeper OG unit but that presumes guys like Watkings, Smith, Washington develop and they resign Turner. I don't see Barksdale playing Guard FWIW.

At Tackle you have Saffold. Hunter's contract is rather large, and although he has been decent, I don't see him back. They may keep Richardson but likely as a backup Tackle at a reasonable price. If they feel Barksdale and/or Tye Nshke (sp?) are equal then he is gone. Still, I think you need a quality tackle and that is where I'd look in the draft vs. guard (at least early). Now a guard later in the draft is fine by me. I don't think Chris Williams will be back either.
Good post. I think Saffold is the wild care here. He's a good left tackle, but you have to wonder if the FO thinks he can stay healthy enough to play a full 19 games (that's right). IF they have their reservations about that, then we might see them go tackle high in the draft.

wolfman84

Rookie
I would agree we probably have enough talent at OG and C on the roster (with the resigning of Turner) to work with. I think they may be tempted to take Barrett Jones with one of our 1st rounders because of his versatility but I don't believe that's Fisher's MO. Kyle Long at OT intrigues me if the NCAA denies his request to return for another year. He has the athleticism, the blood lines, and I would love to see him and Chris go at it in practice every day. For those of you with brothers, you know what I mean. Nothing brings out your best as when you're going head to head with your brother. He appears to be moving up the draft boards though and may go as high as the 2nd round.