Officiating..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
It sucks in the is MNF game. These guys are so worried about protecting everyone's pussy that they are gonna decide the game with their whistles. I will never get used to this, it isn't right.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
To me it isn't even what the rules are...it is how inconsistent the officials are about these rules.

fearsomefour

Legend
To me it is both. They have changed the game with the rules and are deciding games with the enforcement. The worst of the lot is the "defenseless" receiver rule. If a guy catches the ball has his head turned back around takes a step and a guy pops him with a shoulder pad (not in the head) and gets flagged, what is a defender supposed to do?

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
To me it is both. They have changed the game with the rules and are deciding games with the enforcement. The worst of the lot is the "defenseless" receiver rule. If a guy catches the ball has his head turned back around takes a step and a guy pops him with a shoulder pad (not in the head) and gets flagged, what is a defender supposed to do?

Yep. I said this yesterday, as a RAM FAN, I disagreed with the call against Malcom Jenkins on Austin Pettis. No targeting, but gets called anyways. What is he supposed to do, if he stays out of the way he has no chance breaking up the pass and AP may walk in for a TD

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Yep. I said this yesterday, as a RAM FAN, I disagreed with the call against Malcom Jenkins on Austin Pettis. No targeting, but gets called anyways. What is he supposed to do, if he stays out of the way he has no chance breaking up the pass and AP may walk in for a TD

I totally disagreed with the call.

...but who am I to tell that official how dumb it was.:sly:

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah, that call was B.S. I guess the defender is supposed to pull his flag since it isent tackle football beyone 5 yards of the line of scrimmage (either way) any more.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
IMO the QB sliding after crossing the LOS is equally as bad. If you don't want to get hit throw the ball away but don't run 10 yards downfield then decide you don't like tackle football.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
IMO the QB sliding after crossing the LOS is equally as bad. If you don't want to get hit throw the ball away but don't run 10 yards downfield then decide you don't like tackle football.
I agree with that. If the QB wants the option to run, he can take the hit. I feel the same way about running out at the last millisecond along the sidelines.

Have to let the defense play.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It's gotten so bad I wonder at what point will teams start DECLINING bad calls.

duckhunter

Starter
But, But, The commissioner had a press conference and it was headline news that he thought the officials were doing a laudatory job.

I'm reporting this behavior to the New York office.

I'm sure the NSA is documenting this insurrectional behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Trent Green disagrees.

That rule is fine and easily avoidable by defenses, and I don't see it as much. The QB is giving himself up in that situation.

It's the roughing the passer and bullshit PIs that irk me.

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
I agree with that. If the QB wants the option to run, he can take the hit. I feel the same way about running out at the last millisecond along the sidelines.

Have to let the defense play.
Let them play ball!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The lack of consistency is just outrageous and not just because they don't call obvious holds on Quinn. The little groups of refs who work together on each game call games differently, so the first thing a team has to do is take a look at the zebras that are going to be calling the game each week and adjust their play according to how they call the games. Not by how the rulebook says the calls should be made,,, but how these particular refs choose to call the game.

The NFL is also purposely inserting more ref interpretation calls up our asses every year. These calls are game changers and are left to the sole discretion of the NFL ... errrrrrr, I mean the sole discretion of the ref. They are able to change the momentum of games now with just one call... Hell, they're simply able to control the fucking outcome of games now with just one call. I'm convinced that the league is doing this by design in order to have this control... they use the guise that it's for player safety though.

I hate seeing it,,, and I really don't like talking about it. It's blatant though, and we are being bent over in front of everyone by the league.

It's not just Ram fans saying this either. I'm hearing it league wide. It's a huge problem that is getting worse all of the time.

fearsomefour

Legend
The lack of consistency is just outrageous and not just because they don't call obvious holds on Quinn. The little groups of refs who work together on each game call games differently, so the first thing a team has to do is take a look at the zebras that are going to be calling the game each week and adjust their play according to how they call the games. Not by how the rulebook says the calls should be made,,, but how these particular refs choose to call the game.

The NFL is also purposely inserting more ref interpretation calls up our asses every year. These calls are game changers and are left to the sole discretion of the NFL ... errrrrrr, I mean the sole discretion of the ref. They are able to change the momentum of games now with just one call... Hell, they're simply able to control the freaking outcome of games now with just one call. I'm convinced that the league is doing this by design in order to have this control... they use the guise that it's for player safety though.

I hate seeing it,,, and I really don't like talking about it. It's blatant though, and we are being bent over in front of everyone by the league.

It's not just Ram fans saying this either. I'm hearing it league wide. It's a huge problem that is getting worse all of the time.
Agree with all of this.
A WR will draw a 15 yard flag for being "defenseless" after catching the ball, turning his head and taking a step. Doesnt matter if the guy tries to lay him out, if it looks like a hard hit, the flag comes out. We have all seen the horrible inconsistant calls with QB hits. Mark my words there will a playoff game decided by a pussy QB (Brady) taking a legal hit.
Look at the hit the Bengals punter took vs Pittsburgh this last week. The Steelers player led with his head, hit him in the jaw with his helmet and launched himself into the punter….no flag. The guy has cracked vertabrae in his neck. So, when the enforcement is that inconsistant and bad it barely matters what the rules really say because the zebras are just making it up as they go….all with Captain Goodell standing on the deck of the NFL Titanic telling every one everything is fine. Every week the NFL loses more credability.

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
The game NEEDS a ref in instant re-play on all plays & only stop the game if he sees something. NO QUICK plays to defeat him upstairs. He would have the final word on the game play.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

The NFL is also purposely inserting more ref interpretation calls up our asses every year. These calls are game changers and are left to the sole discretion of the NFL ... errrrrrr, I mean the sole discretion of the ref. They are able to change the momentum of games now with just one call... Hell, they're simply able to control the freaking outcome of games now with just one call. I'm convinced that the league is doing this by design in order to have this control... they use the guise that it's for player safety though.

And this as much if not more than anything else has the potential to bring about the demise of the NFL. The fans can put up with a lot of things as long as it is the teams' play deciding who wins and loses. But there absolutely have been complete game changing calls being made of late and it is ruining the game. It used to be said that the best called games meant the refs were virtually unheard from. Now you just hope they don't fuck it up too bad. And almost every game I watch these days has a game changing bad call in it. It is honestly making me watch less games.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It is without a doubt ruining the NFL brand. All my life, I've thought the NFL was bullet proof, too popular and too strong to ever fail. And I still think that is the case from any external threat. But this barrage of new "subjective" rules is the enemy within and if not checked soon will destroy the league. It sickens me to see it.

BigHornRAMM

Rookie
Name
BigHorn
So glad you guys aren't homers and can see a bad call even when it helps our Rams.. I saw three real bad calls go against the Saints. And to be honest, I was just as mad as if they went against the rams. The NFL has a problem, the referees are getting worse and I'm seeing a lot of phantom calls

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So glad you guys aren't homers and can see a bad call even when it helps our Rams.. I saw three real bad calls go against the Saints. And to be honest, I was just as mad as if they went against the rams. The NFL has a problem, the referees are getting worse and I'm seeing a lot of phantom calls
Gotta agree. Though I do think the Rams get more than their fair share. Chock it up to reputation or youth or whatever the hell you want but the refs are now put in a position to really search for those fouls and yet let the holds go possibly in the name of protecting the new golden goose - the QB and those "popular teams". At the same time, I see that being ruled subjectively too. This is a badass league and should always be looked at as such. If you want to call every shoulder shot to a receiver or QB then this league is going down.

One needs only to look at the popularity of the MMA vs boxing these days to see how the NFL is missing the mark. I'm not saying the NFL should follow the MMA, but to go down the path they are on would make them a frustrating sport that just ignores what the fans really want. It's like they looked at all those futuristic bullshit Hollywierd movies and said, "We're not going to become THAT" Come on guys. This is a tough sport that takes real men to perform in. I think we all have envied the brutality in the way of what it takes to compete at this level. Just don't screw that up.

How many times have you gotten into a shoulder punching contest with your buddies? You want to deliver. At a WAY higher level, these guys do too. Not only is the NFL taking the fun out of the game for the fans, they are taking it out of the players as well. No one wants to get injured but these guys also need to know they are playing against the other players' best shots. It's fucked up. This is a team sport that is only great because it is also mano a mano. Let 'em play.