Official Training Camp Thread - Day 6!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
One of the impressions I'm getting from these reports is that Rhaney seems to be holding up better at centre than both Barnes and Jones. This is the most interesting camp battle (and may actually be the only genuine battle for a starting spot) so I'd be interested to hear the views of the guys who've been there in person.

Alan

Legend
LumberTubs noting the general consensus:
One of the impressions I'm getting from these reports is that Rhaney seems to be holding up better at centre than both Barnes and Jones. This is the most interesting camp battle (and may actually be the only genuine battle for a starting spot) so I'd be interested to hear the views of the guys who've been there in person.
Despite some recent comments about him having no problem with starting rookies, I'll believe that he'll start Rhaney over Barnes or Jones considering their years of college experience and time spent on the Rams team. Starting 3 rookies in a single unit who have never played a single game in the NFL? If I were a betting man I'd go all in on that not happening. But yeah, he's the only guy I like so far.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Despite some recent comments about him having no problem with starting rookies, I'll believe that he'll start Rhaney over Barnes or Jones considering their years of college experience and time spent on the Rams team. Starting 3 rookies in a single unit who have never played a single game in the NFL? If I were a betting man I'd go all in on that not happening. But yeah, he's the only guy I like so far.

I like Rhaney too. Said it more than once on here but he came across really well in his post draft press conference and he's clearly put in a lot of work during the off season. It would be great to be able to turn a seventh round pick into a starter but I fear you may be right about him starting game 1.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think the biggest thing with starting such a young player at C is making the line calls.
A lot less about the physical side of it.
I thought Rhaney popped off the screen last preseason with his ability to move and get to the second level. C is interesting. I think he is the eventual starter, but, I also think he will be on the bench starting this season and maybe for the whole season.
I am sticking to my guns that Rhaney and Washington are two O line keeps this year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I didn't see them struggling, per se, they were moving the ball. They looked much better in team, than individual, as expected. I would say Jones struggled, in the portion that I broke down, but with a Center, you can't always put it all on them, there could have been help that missed their assignment.
Barnes will win that spot.My view is Jones is soft.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone catch this? Fisher says Gurley will not play in the preseason. First I heard that.

Says he doesn't need the preseason games. Big difference between 8.5 months since injury and 10 months. Sounds like they recognize he has some healing to do despite feeling great.

Snead said that gurley looks ready to go if you just look at him. But their medical crew have alot of contraptions that can test the knee which tell them he's not ready yet. Nowhere near ready.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone catch this? Fisher says Gurley will not play in the preseason. First I heard that.

Says he doesn't need the preseason games. Big difference between 8.5 months since injury and 10 months. Sounds like they recognize he has some healing to do despite feeling great.
He said he doesn't need preseason snaps to play in the regular season. But later he mentions that he will get him preseason snaps.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Where are you Europeans?!

Sorry :(. Went to a game last year, but practice is a little to much to spend £1,000 on.

It's not so much that Foles holds the ball too long, covered receivers are covered receivers, but that he pumps the ball over and over and then he's not accurate on his passes after the first read. His first read is very good. Foles is the king in the seam.

You're still not helping my whole "not having confidence in Foles" thing :(.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Sorry :(. Went to a game last year, but practice is a little to much to spend £1,000 on.

You're still not helping my whole "not having confidence in Foles" thing :(.

The way I look at it, Foles may not be an upgrade over Bradford, but you can't look at it that way. Foles is an upgrade over Davis and Hill and any other backups we might have. And chances are we woulda been relying heavily on those backups if we still had Bradford.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
The way I look at it, Foles may not be an upgrade over Bradford, but you can't look at it that way. Foles is an upgrade over Davis and Hill and any other backups we might have. And chances are we woulda been relying heavily on those backups if we still had Bradford.

I hope so, the numbers didn't show it last year, but he should be right?

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
It's still very early but I like what im hearing regarding Rhaney. I predicted him to be the day 1 starter and the kid is holding up well. From what I've read tho it looks like Jones is failing big time. Disappointing :(

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
63 is Darryl Williams fyi......He is, maybe it was 93? Ethan Westbrook? 73 is GRob it wouldn't have been 83 quick and 53 is Bates so he wasn't involved. The only DLine in the 60's is Trinca-Pasat at 62.

Ramzfanz said it was, Longacre. You were right on the offensive player, wearing that number.
yep...just wanted to make sure we're all clear....RamzFanz put out the whole roster with the double # players too...;)

This is the most interesting camp battle (and may actually be the only genuine battle for a starting spot)
I really thought the CB position would be the best....two equally talented individuals...Jones scares me...Brokers & Donald make me scared of Barnes...just how I feel until I see some preseason games...

3-4, that's new and interesting. I guess our D is talented enough to lineup in pretty much any formation.
I wonder who did they use as the 2nd ILB? Dunbar?

@RamzFanz thanks for all your observations....Love this!!!! You and coacho hanging huh? Is Hammer with you too? Pop a cold one today, say cheers, everybody here salutes you....

Questions now...Worthington, Longacre, Infedi, or Westbrooks (he looks bigger to me too, on TV) who do you keep? Who's looking the best? How about the DT from Iowa, Trinca-Pasat?
Who does Jones block well against? I already believe he can't handle Brockers one-on-one...In your eyes, who's better, Barnes or Jones? Rhaney, from the reports is doing better than both, is this really true, or misconceptions? Maybe he's not seeing Brockers/Donald as much...(2nd/3rd team reps)
I noticed they seemed turned down too...Not real contact...Seemed as if bodies were all over , don't know how Foles could EVER find a 2nd read downfield. Is this usual for practice, or did they intentionally tell guys to go half speed? Also, could you see if you could watch Foles feet once or twice...See if he's setting them, or is he throwing off his back foot (when pump faking)...May explain inaccuracy issues...
Overall, I didn't see nothing too bad, or too good...I feel like I wanna be on the tower. LOL

Oh yeah, Tavon on the outside....whats the deal? Is he catching ANYTHING downfield from out there? If so, against who? Is he getting open in 11 on 11...7 on 7...or mainly 1 on 1? If you or @CoachO or @CodeMonkey or @Tortoise or @Big Game wanna chime in on these thoughts, much appreciated.....oh and Hammer, you are ALWAYS welcome to add in....:love::cool::p;):):nice::bueller:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
yep...just wanted to make sure we're all clear....RamzFanz put out the whole roster with the double # players too...;)

I really thought the CB position would be the best....two equally talented individuals...Jones scares me...Brokers & Donald make me scared of Barnes...just how I feel until I see some preseason games...

I wonder who did they use as the 2nd ILB? Dunbar?

@RamzFanz thanks for all your observations....Love this!!!! You and coacho hanging huh? Is Hammer with you too? Pop a cold one today, say cheers, everybody here salutes you....

Questions now...Worthington, Longacre, Infedi, or Westbrooks (he looks bigger to me too, on TV) who do you keep? Who's looking the best? How about the DT from Iowa, Trinca-Pasat?
Who does Jones block well against? I already believe he can't handle Brockers one-on-one...In your eyes, who's better, Barnes or Jones? Rhaney, from the reports is doing better than both, is this really true, or misconceptions? Maybe he's not seeing Brockers/Donald as much...(2nd/3rd team reps)
I noticed they seemed turned down too...Not real contact...Seemed as if bodies were all over , don't know how Foles could EVER find a 2nd read downfield. Is this usual for practice, or did they intentionally tell guys to go half speed? Also, could you see if you could watch Foles feet once or twice...See if he's setting them, or is he throwing off his back foot (when pump faking)...May explain inaccuracy issues...
Overall, I didn't see nothing too bad, or too good...I feel like I wanna be on the tower. LOL

Oh yeah, Tavon on the outside....whats the deal? Is he catching ANYTHING downfield from out there? If so, against who? Is he getting open in 11 on 11...7 on 7...or mainly 1 on 1? If you or @CoachO or @CodeMonkey or @Tortoise or @Big Game wanna chime in on these thoughts, much appreciated.....oh and Hammer, you are ALWAYS welcome to add in....:love::cool::p;):):nice::bueller:
I wish that I could have seen more reps, I wish I was with those guys down there. There is no place I'd rather be, said 3x, damn, still here. I don't remember anyone mentioning Longacre prior, but in the couple reps that I saw... explosion, quickness, power, and get off. Longacre is a Division 2 player, but he was a Division 2 defensive player of the year, one year.

His Pro Day stats: 40 yard dash 4.75, which would have tied him with the 5th best time recorded at the 2015 NFL Combine. 1.66 10 yard dash. He's 6'3" 260 pounds. 22 reps at 225 in the bench. 33' vertical. He recorded a 7.07 3 cone, which would have tied him with the top performer at the 2015 NFL Combine. Those are pretty good test numbers for a guy his size.

Seems like his fit would be ideal for base LDE, IMO. He appears to be playing RDE currently. A few more things about him: Last season, he led his team with 11.5 sacks, had 19.5 tackles for loss. Longacre had the Northwest single-season record five fumbles and has also notched 19 quarterback hurries. He tied for 4th on the team with 54 tackles. For his career, Longacre had 23 sacks, third all-time, and had 25.5 tackles for loss, tied for fifth all-time. He has also scored two career touchdowns.

Like I said previously, and echoes your question, how to you crack our D-Line? I'm looking forward to seeing him in live play. I don't think Trinca-Pasat will make it, but I hope he doesn't want to meet me in the parking lot, if you know what I mean.

Westbrooks looks bigger, and more explosive than he was last year. These are flash impressions, but I hope to see more of these guys.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Is Hammer with you too?

I haven't met Hammer. My understanding is that he hasn't come since day one and probably won't. That's all I know. I will leave that to him to discuss or not as he sees fit.

I think we might see much more in detail regarding your questions tonight with a stadium view. Any talk about the lines in TC from us should be taken with the understanding we can barely see them, or not see them, a lot of the time. If anything, it's definitely incomplete.

I saw TA on the outside going long once during TC for an incomplete. Maybe someone else has seen more. All of the catches I've seen were short and more over the middle or from the flat. Maybe that's why? Throws in the flat?

Yeah, not real contact. They do hit some but it's pretty tame 98% of the time. Mostly they try to knock the ball free which, I think, is why the running plays keep going after the play is over, to get time practicing holding the ball while the defenders try to knock it out.