Official Nick Foles Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
WetWvrz.jpg

[av]http://mlaputka.tripod.com/sounds/heaven.wav[/av]

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Tough SOB...I thought he played great today...We gotta get our tackles right....no more blindside hits please...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Tough SOB...I thought he played great today...We gotta get our tackles right....no more blindside hits please...
At least one wasn't on the OT, it was mostly on Nick. The one where he lost the ball.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
At least one wasn't on the OT, it was mostly on Nick. The one where he lost the ball.
Ohh, didn't see it...Heard it on the radio though...The early part I did see, he was getting hit..on passes that were completed...stood in and delivered the rock...
Still think we gotta protect him a lil better...I'm about to turn off this Cowgirls game and watch the tape...

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

The big one that led to the fumble for Td, Robinson was engaged blocking someone. The guy that hit Foles was completely untouched. Foles should have recognized him lined out there and call the RB to block or something. I dunno, but Greg can't block two people. Unless the entire line should have kicked over to the left. Not so sure it was 100% on the o line that play. But what do I know lol

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The big one that led to the fumble for Td, Robinson was engaged blocking someone. The guy that hit Foles was completely untouched. Foles should have recognized him lined out there and call the RB to block or something. I dunno, but Greg can't block two people. Unless the entire line should have kicked over to the left. Not so sure it was 100% on the o line that play. But what do I know lol
A corner blitzer on the line, is on the QB, and hot route guy, usually.

Cochiti

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Harkey was there and could have picked the CB up but he was focused on chipping Robinson's man and didn't notice.

RamWoodie

Legend
What I like is Foles KNOWS how to move in the pocket to buy time! He did it several times in this game. Whether to make a pass or throw the ball away....that is what you call SAVVY!

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
To me he just fits the team better , Bradford always reminded be of a white collar QB on a blue collar team

A55VA6

Legend
Foles is a former Pro Bowl MVP for a reason. Dude can play!

Thought he was great today and made some big clutch throws. That throw to Bailey in between Sherman and Thomas was a thing of beauty. Perfect throw.

It's just 1 game, but I really like what I saw.. especially since it was against Seattle.

fearsomefour

Legend
Foles played well. Dealt with pressure better than I expected overall. He gets the happy feet sometimes and creates some pressure, but, over all I was very pleased.
No pics....the fumble for a TD was not on him.
The Rams impressed me. There were plenty of disastrous plays....gave up the lead like in years past. However, the bounce back and toughness was there that has not been. They showed some maturity finally.
If this season turns out well I think a key happened on the second possession. A disastrous first possession, a horrible punt return for a TD. In years past the team would have folded up. Instead the Rams O mounted an impressive answer drive for a TD.
That was huge.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Anyone know if Foles was responsible for the blitzing CB on the play he fumbled? I see here where some people think it's on Robinson but I'm not so sure that wasn't on Foles to check out (don't think he could check to a hot read as it was play-action), it may have been a fubar play to begin with....

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
In His St. Louis Debut, Nick Foles was Money

Posted by: Bernie Miklasz

http://www.101sports.com/2015/09/14/in-his-st-louis-debut-nick-foles-was-money/

There were a few unfortunate moments, a couple of fumbles, one a result of a sack-strip-fumble returned for a defensive touchdown by the always rebellious Seattle Seahawks. But Rams quarterback Nick Foles wouldn’t stay down. Not with his play. Not with his emotions. And not with the scoreboard staring at him, with the Rams losing and in trouble in the season’s first game.

Making his first start as the Rams QB following the fascinating and highly scrutinized offseason trade with Philadelphia, in which he swapped places with Sam Bradford, Foles immediately came through with a winning performance in the Rams’ madhouse 34-31 overtime win over the Seattle Seahawks.

If Bradford stays healthy and keeps his vulnerable left knee intact, he’ll have an excellent opportunity to succeed in Philly. The talent, the coach (Chip Kelly) and a creative offense should works in Bradford’s favor.

The Foles forecast was more uncertain.

Why did he transfer twice, and play for three different college programs?

Why did Foles light up the sky with preposterously good passing statistics in 2013, only to descend into the ranks of the average in 2014?

If Foles was such a sure thing _ a winner, a leader and a franchise QB _ then why was Kelly in such a hurry to send him to the Midwest in exchange for a medical-redshirt quarterback who hasn’t played a regular-season NFL game since Oct. 20 of 2013?

The questions are legit, but won’t be untangled for a while. Not until the Rams know, conclusively, what they have in Foles.

Bradford, the object of heavy preseason hype, will get his chance to show what he has on Monday night when the Eagles open the season at Atlanta.

On Sunday at The Edward Jones Dome, Foles had the first crack at impressing his new district and did not disappoint. By now you know the basics. The Rams won. Just when the day seemed lost, with Seattle up 31-24, Foles rallied his team with an inspirational drive to a late fourth-quarter touchdown that booked extra time. Given a head start by the Seahawks’ interesting choice to open the OT with a daring but successful onside kick, Foles guided the Rams into field-goal range and the winning points.

Foles completed 18 of 27 passes (67 percent) for 292 yards, a touchdown, and a shiny 115.8 passer rating.

Since the Rams moved to St. Louis in 1995, only one quarterback had a higher passer rating in his first start at home: Marc Bulger, who had a 134.1 rating in a 28-13 victory over Oakland on Oct. 13, 2002. But that performance should have an unofficial asterisk; it came in the Rams’ sixth game of the season. Kurt Warner had started the first five contests _ with the Rams losing all five _ before coach Mike Martz switched to Bulger.

As for an opening-day starter making his home debut for the Rams in St. Louis, Foles stands at the top of the leaderboard with his 115.8 rating.

But you have to look under the surface numbers to see the true excellence of Foles’ first start as a Ram.

Here’s what jumped out to me: Foles was at his brilliant best when the Rams were trailing the Seahawks.

And that isn’t easy to do.

Consider:

Between 2012-2014, the Seahawks went 36-12 in the regular season, the best three-season record in the NFL over that stretch…

And when leading a game, Seattle held opposing quarterbacks to a 59.6 completion percentage, and a poor passer rating of 74.8. Those QBs threw as many interceptions as touchdown passes (37-37) and averaged 6.23 yards per passing attempt.

(All stats culled from STATS LLC.)

Foles defied Seattle’s staunch defensive history on Sunday.

When the Rams were down on the scoreboard, Foles brought them back three times to take the lead or tie.

After a long punt return for a touchdown by Seattle rookie Tyler Lockett put his team ahead 7-0, Foles and the Rams responded with a nine-play 80-yard drive culminated by Tavon Austin’s touchdown run for a 7-7 tie.

In the third quarter, with the Rams trailing 13-10, Foles directed a six-play, 80-yard TD drive that elevated the Rams to a 17-13 lead. Foles did the honors this time by rolling right and landing in the end zone for a 1-yard touchdown run.

Late in the fourth quarter, with the Rams down 31-24 and in extreme danger of losing after giving away a 13-point lead, Foles took the offense 84 yards in 12 plays _ firing a 37-yard TD strike to tight end Lance Kendricks to even the score with 53 seconds remaining in regulation.
Here’s what Foles did Sunday when the Rams were trailing:

16 attempts, 11 completions (69%)
Nine throws for first downs, plus the touchdown to Kendricks.
Two completions of 25+ yards.
A killer average of 12.13 yards per passing attempt.
A passer rating of 130.7.

Impressive, yes?

You just don’t see many quarterbacks firing away with such gall and calm and precision to erase a deficit against a Seahawks defense that surrendered the fewest points in the league from 2012 through 2014.

The Foles’ come-from-behind numbers would be outstanding in any context, but it’s particularly exceptional do it against the Seattle defense that limited opponents to 17 points or fewer in 30 of its previous 48 regular-season games. That includes 16 games of allowing no more than 10 points.

Since Pete Carroll became Seattle’s head coach in 2010, the Seahawks were 20-0 when scoring at least 30 points in a regular-season game before Foles foiled that trend. And over the past three seasons, when the Seahawks scored first in a game, they went 24-8. The Rams didn’t fall in line with that trend, either.

Foles was also terrific on third-down plays during Sunday’s win.

Foles completed 6 of 9 passes on third down, averaging 10.67 yards per attempt. His touchdown pass to Kendricks came on a third-and-five play from the Seattle 37. His third-down passer rating: a slick 139.1.

Foles went 3 for 3 Sunday when the Rams faced third down and 11+ yards to go.

In the fourth quarter, with the score within seven points (either way), Foles connected on 7 of 11 passes for 127 yards, averaging 11.55 yards per attempt. That included his critical game-tying fastball to the wide open Kendricks.

The situation was bleak for the Rams after the Seahawks went ahead 31-24 on the strip-fumble and TD return by cornerback Cary Williams with 4:39 remaining in the fourth Q.

Foles was undeterred.

He responded.

Again.

“Oh man, that’s big bro,” Austin said. “He comes in the huddle, he takes charge of the huddle, lets us know what he wants. You know, he always tells us that adversity is going to come. It’s all how we’re going to fight back and that’s what we did.”

What was it like on the STL sideline after Williams raced into the end zone with that fumble return that pushed the Rams to the brink of defeat?

Austin’s view: “We were on the sideline just screaming ‘It’s definitely not over.’ We believe in (Foles) and he believes in us. On the field, him and Lance hooked up on a good go route. And that’s how it was.”

After doing his part to rescue the Rams on Sunday, Foles is 16-9 as an NFL starter.

And add this one to the Foles File: with Sunday’s rally, Foles has five fourth-quarter comebacks and six game-winning drives in his career. That’s in only 25 starts.

“Yeah, if there’s time on the clock, the game’s never over no matter what the score is,” Foles said. “That’s been my mentality as a little kid, something my parents instilled in me…my dad…just to fight to the end no matter what because you want to leave it all on the field. You don’t want to go back in the locker room and say, ‘I wish I coulda.’ You want to say, ‘I gave it everything I had.’

“Our guys gave it everything they had. Seattle came out and played a great game. They gave it everything they had. We just finished. We needed to finish.”

By the way: Foles likes his new home just fine.

“The fans were tremendous,” he said. “Our fans were causing havoc. I could tell there was times where they had to burn timeouts, delay of games, communication … I recognize that stuff watching their offense and that’s huge. Our fans had a huge impact in this game. I’m thanking everybody that came out to support us. We heard them loud and clear and it really helped us get this victory.”

Thanks for reading…

–Bernie

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone know if Foles was responsible for the blitzing CB on the play he fumbled? I see here where some people think it's on Robinson but I'm not so sure that wasn't on Foles to check out (don't think he could check to a hot read as it was play-action), it may have been a fubar play to begin with....

Probably was on Foles. But they did disguise it well. Just one of those plays that happen. Problem was that the CB was in the box because there was no WR split out on that side of the field. So he could disguise it and still blitz right off the edge.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah that blindside sack, scoop and TD was on Nick and more so on Harkey. Harkey had the chance to pick up Williams and went at Bennett instead. It was a good play by Williams, about his only one of the day we did well vs him today other than that play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I was having nightmares when he was moving his arm like it was hurt. "Not again! Not again! Lightning can't strike three times in a row!"

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Bradford has a better arm than foles but foles is a better "football" player, he looks to have what it takes between his ears. That throw to Bailey Sam would have NEVER attempted let alone had the touch to drop it in there like that. Austin Davis would have tried to make that throw but he would have missed.

And on that sack foles never looked at the cb. The whole OL blocked down to the right the cb came from the left. They were blocking almost like it was a running play. It was the perfect defense to stop that play, Foles just missed the hot read or better yet should have checked out of the play.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford has w better arm than foles but foles I'd a way better "football" player, he looks to have what it takes between his ears. That throw to Bailey Sam would have NEVER attempted let alone had the touch to drop it in there like that. Austin Davis would have tried to make that throw but he would have missed.

Guys...can we please leave this one alone?

Bradford is gone. Foles is here. If Bradford has an amazing year, I would rather not have the second guessing. If Foles has an amazing year, I'd rather focus on the things Foles is doing well rather than tearing down the past QB. If both guys have amazing years, can't we just be happy for both QBs?

Both guys have their strengths and weaknesses.