Offensive players and depth chart competition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing I haven't seen much discussion on is the depth chart aspect of things and its relation to the offensive improvements.

QB is the biggest example of this. Case knows he has to win, because if he doesn't the kid's gonna take the reins. So he's playing with a level of determination he did not have last year from a consistency perspective, and IMO the competition has a lot to do with it. Now maybe Mannion would have provided that push, but that aside there is no doubt that Mannion plus a number one overall pick at QB are providing it.

Another good example is Quickie. Dude was already demoted to 4th WR in camp when they had Coop running with the starters as the third wideout. He gets a very small window of games to get it together, and we could hear it in Fisher's voice that he was about fed up with the drops and mental excuses. What does the dude do? Last two games he's raised the bar.

Back in the offseason Britt tweeted or was quoted, forget which, showing some ruffled feathers about the Rams' moves with the WR position. Dude has responded with 281 yards and is on course for well over 1000 yards in four games (1124 to be exact).

Last year the Rams went out and drafted a ton of OL (5, which is insane for one draft) and the guy who was on the hot seat, Robinson, goes and signs on for an offseason program to sharpen his skills. He's night and day better now, still a ways to go sure but IMO the competition pushed him just like the rest of these guys on offense.

Not taking anything away from these guys, btw. THEY are the ones raising the bar and getting it done. And lastly I do think the coaching staff has done a good job actually teaching and growing these guys this offseason and camp and it's starting to show on the field. The question is how good can they be? What if TG starts getting those seams? What if one of those rooks provides a small boost in possession? I think we could end up with an average offense and that's exciting as F.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
that's exciting as F.

This ^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!

:mrburnsevil::mrburnsevil::mrburnsevil:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Ya I am liking the steady improvement from the offense.

Boras and Groh seem to be improving calling plays at least in the pass game. We've gotta make some adjustments in the run game. When you have Todd Gurley and no confidence you can run it on third and short there is a problem.

Pass blocking for the most part has been really impressive across the board. Run blocking has been terrible, but its tough when its 5 on 9.

Pass catchers are still inconsistent, but they are making up for it by making big plays in crucial situations when they haven't done so in the past. It's interesting that they went to Quick in 3 huge spots; the 4th down play, that late third down, and the game winning TD. All 3 were contested catch situations but he only came up with one granted it was the best ball out of three and you cant complain about the game winner.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
0, 9, 37, 17 It looks a lot like last year if you ask me. I don't see much improvement. Quick still has a lot to prove. How about a 6+ catch game, or no drops for a few games. I like Britt. Keenum still falls just a bit short (pardon the pun) for me. I love the wins and see some modest improvements in his game but not enough to post about. When they start getting up to that 24 points a game threshold, that is when I will get excited about the O. When they are capable of controlling the clock for two minutes to end a game, or even one minute, then I will relax and feel confident.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will say that the passing game concepts look a lot better this year. And the group of Britt, Kendricks, Austin, and Quick look better this year. We have to figure out the run game.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I think we could end up with an excellent offense and that's exciting as F.
FIFY Merlin. I think we are close to average now. The step to a very good offense is not that far. It will be huge when Gurley goes off this week. Then the passing game and running game will open each other up.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Boras and Groh seem to be improving calling plays at least in the pass game. We've gotta make some adjustments in the run game. When you have Todd Gurley and no confidence you can run it on third and short there is a problem.
Biggest change is Groh....Plus the experience...And pressure...Remember, Boras is much like the starters at QB & WR....and if he gets fired from the Rams, when will a former TE coach EVER get another opportunity to become a OC? So competition breeds intensity at practice, which usually results in better GAME performances....
I kinda like the way Boras has grown every single game...The SF game keeps me grounded...Not sure what the hell that was...

Again, Still haven't seen Quick's drops....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If Keenum continues to improve his pass game, the opposition stacking the lines should slowly dissipate some. Still, I wouldn't mind if the Rams brought free agent OG Geoff Schwartz in to check him out. jmo.

Last edited:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Definitely credit Groh for improving the passing game, it also has to do with defenses respecting Gurley. Once teams adjust their gameplan to defend the passing game more, Gurley will have bigger lanes to run. Hoping this will be Boras's opportunity to Groh as a top-notch coordinator.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
0, 9, 37, 17 It looks a lot like last year if you ask me. I don't see much improvement. Quick still has a lot to prove. How about a 6+ catch game, or no drops for a few games. I like Britt. Keenum still falls just a bit short (pardon the pun) for me. I love the wins and see some modest improvements in his game but not enough to post about. When they start getting up to that 24 points a game threshold, that is when I will get excited about the O. When they are capable of controlling the clock for two minutes to end a game, or even one minute, then I will relax and feel confident.
I'm seeing open wr's. Something that's been a rarity in years past.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm seeing open wr's. Something that's been a rarity in years past.

Yet they struggled to get first downs? Something is wrong. The Bills hung what 40? On the same team. Atlanta has 500 yards passing against Tampa. The Rams offense is still way behind the average scoring offense. Is it better than last year? A little yeah. How would this team win a playoff game with no running game at all and struggling to get third down conversions? I am happy with wins but would like to see some sustainability. I think the mark to reach is averaging 24 points a game. They are still falling short of the mark.

Bruce2980

Starter
Yet they struggled to get first downs? Something is wrong. The Bills hung what 40? On the same team. Atlanta has 500 yards passing against Tampa. The Rams offense is still way behind the average scoring offense. Is it better than last year? A little yeah. How would this team win a playoff game with no running game at all and struggling to get third down conversions? I am happy with wins but would like to see some sustainability. I think the mark to reach is averaging 24 points a game. They are still falling short of the mark.
As you know the palyoffs are still a ways off. I have a feeling that this offense will get better in the next 12 weeks. They have improved some every week to this point, no reason to believe it won't continue to some extent. I have never witnessed anyone with an IQ above a plant do something for 12 continuous weeks and not get better at it. We would all love to have a an offense score 60 points per game, but as long as we continue to score more than we give up, what more can we ask for? This is not the GSOT. With that said I do want to see Gurley and the o-line work as well as they did in some of those games last year, and I still have hope that will happen at some point.

Whose to say that if our offense was a lot better from the beginning of this season that our Defense would be learning to win the way it is, no disrespect to our special teams intended, but every game has hinged on this D and they are clutch. They are "speaking turnovers into existence and putting themselves in position to make those plays," their words, not mine. They are creating belief in themselves as a team, not many other teams can say that right now. Many teams belief in winning has been created mythologically by the media and it is spelling doom for them on the field, especially when they play this team. How many fans were confident of a Rams victory over Seattle, or on the road against TB, or when they were huge underdogs at AZ. Not many. This team "IS SPECIAL," their words not mine, but they are far from perfect. I will enjoy watching them in their strive for perfection, as many players on this team have dedicated their lives to. Aaron Donald and Todd Gurley to mention just two of them.

Three weeks ago our DBs were considered a soft spot on this team. How many are saying that after AZs defeat. 1 INT, with 2 close INTs including a close pick six, and 6 passes defended by one player alone. EJ Gaines almost had a pick in the end zone and made a huge hit on a TE, injuring the TE in the process. He looks like he hasn't missed a step in the last 22 months. This team is improving every week, and significant gains have been made in several areas week by week. The o-line and Gurley are passed due, it could be this week, hoping that is the case.

With the belief that this team has in itself to win, and with the way that they are doing it, I wouldn't be surprised if they win the rest of their games this season;)

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The important thing for me, is that I'm seeing improvement from week to week.
We had some big plays called back Sunday.
I agree were not an offensive juggernaut, but we're still winning games against good teams.
AZ and Seattle are nothing to scoff at. Those are huge wins.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As you know the palyoffs are still a ways off. I have a feeling that this offense will get better in the next 12 weeks. They have improved some every week to this point, no reason to believe it won't continue to some extent. I have never witnessed anyone with an IQ above a plant do something for 12 continuous weeks and not get better at it. We would all love to have a an offense score 60 points per game, but as long as we continue to score more than we give up, what more can we ask for? This is not the GSOT. With that said I do want to see Gurley and the o-line work as well as they did in some of those games last year, and I still have hope that will happen at some point.

Whose to say that if our offense was a lot better from the beginning of this season that our Defense would be learning to win the way it is, no disrespect to our special teams intended, but every game has hinged on this D and they are clutch. They are "speaking turnovers into existence and putting themselves in position to make those plays," their words, not mine. They are creating belief in themselves as a team, not many other teams can say that right now. Many teams belief in winning has been created mythologically by the media and it is spelling doom for them on the field, especially when they play this team. How many fans were confident of a Rams victory over Seattle, or on the road against TB, or when they were huge underdogs at AZ. Not many. This team "IS SPECIAL," their words not mine, but they are far from perfect. I will enjoy watching them in their strive for perfection, as many players on this team have dedicated their lives to. Aaron Donald and Todd Gurley to mention just two of them.

Three weeks ago our DBs were considered a soft spot on this team. How many are saying that after AZs defeat. 1 INT, with 2 close INTs including a close pick six, and 6 passes defended by one player alone. EJ Gaines almost had a pick in the end zone and made a huge hit on a TE, injuring the TE in the process. He looks like he hasn't missed a step in the last 22 months. This team is improving every week, and significant gains have been made in several areas week by week. The o-line and Gurley are passed due, it could be this week, hoping that is the case.

With the belief that this team has in itself to win, and with the way that they are doing it, I wouldn't be surprised if they win the rest of their games this season;)

Referring to doing the same thing over and over, where have you been the last 4 years?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Excellent post, OP. You may have just described why the Rams are 3-1, have been able to close out three tight games, and win two in a row on the road.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The important thing for me, is that I'm seeing improvement from week to week.
We had some big plays called back Sunday.
I agree were not an offensive juggernaut, but we're still winning games against good teams.
AZ and Seattle are nothing to scoff at. Those are huge wins.

I want to see something that makes me think this is sustainable. I celebrated victory three times against Arizona and it wasn't until third that they really won. Most teams close it out after Barron's one int, but not a team that cannot get a first down in a critical situation. I just want to see them win some games without it coming down to the opponents final drive.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
The improvement Ive seen from the WRs and even the passing game as a whole, combined with the lack of running game so far, really has me wishing Groh was our one and only OC.

TexasRam

Legend
I see the exact same offense as last year with the exception of kendricks being your go to TE on big third downs and actually catching the ball vs Cook who would stall drives with his drops.

The offensive line is also healthy right now. At the end of last year when we went on our winning streak it was when we got a healthy line back with Havenstein and Wichmann.

Robinson night and day better ???

Wow. He is struggling so bad right now I can't see how he even stays on the field. People aren't talking about his constant critical game changing penalties that the Rams somehow overcome. And DE's are flying right by him almost unmoved most times.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

I love this post!(y):love::love::yess::yay::banana::rockon::cheers::grouphug::nice::sup:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see the exact same offense as last year with the exception of kendricks being your go to TE on big third downs and actually catching the ball vs Cook who would stall drives with his drops.

The offensive line is also healthy right now. At the end of last year when we went on our winning streak it was when we got a healthy line back with Havenstein and Wichmann.

Robinson night and day better ???

Wow. He is struggling so bad right now I can't see how he even stays on the field. People aren't talking about his constant critical game changing penalties that the Rams somehow overcome. And DE's are flying right by him almost unmoved most times.

I went back and re-watched just the OL and gotta say we have two weak links on our line: Robinson and Wichmann.

Robinson struggles most on speed rushes and outside moves. Still. When he tries to compensate for it things really can get bad because his footwork falls apart. He is also, unfortunately, one position where there isn't really a good option to replace him. That option is Saffold at LT, but if they do that they unsettle the interior of the OL by inserting Brown who is worse than Wichmann in pass pro. Or maybe they flip-flop GRob and Saffold? Might work, but risky since I don't want Roger to get hurt by trying to play in space.

In run plays he is inconsistent. One play he'll blow a dude out, the next line it up bad and/or miss his assignment entirely. I'd say he's near average there for LTs, overall. When you consider his pass pro deficiencies against his run block ability he's a bottom feeder among his peers, somewhere in that bottom third I think.

Wichmann really loses his $#!* on the stunts, and he gets distracted by fakes and anything that challenges his responsibilities. That third down they had deep in their own side of the field Case dropped back and might have made a play had Wichmann not ignored the guy who blew right by him. It was the Cards' gameplan I am sure to confuse him, and it worked. Nice thing here is he does do well when he's got his assignment down, just hit and miss on the busy fronts and teams that challenge A & B gaps (Minnesota for example would eat him alive with their A gap blitzes) are going to give him hell until he gets it down.

In the run game Wichmann is soft. I don't know that can be fixed this year, but in his case they do have a very strong run blocker in Brown who will push him if he doesn't.

So overall the Rams have what looks like an average OL. Which is great, btw, given previous seasons. They just need to get that OL to settle in, and it might happen since they now have four games under their belt and against some defenses that can really challenge you up front. And this coming game vs Buffalo is no joke either. Rex is gonna test the F out of that OL and the 3-4 scheme end is always a speed guy which means Robinson might need help schemed in.