Offensive line in shambles already. But ... it's early.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
St. Louis Rams Training Camp Report: Rodger Saffold Has A Groin Pull, Scott Wells Still Out

Any concerns fans had about the St. Louis Rams offensive line were not laid to rest at Monday's practice. Left tackle Rodger Saffold and center Scott Wells watched their front five brethren get moved aside snap after snap from the sidelines.

The Rams have been incredibly cautious about so-called soft tissue aliments, not pushing players through those at practice lest a sore hamstring evolve into a season-long problem. Saffold's groin pull is minor, but for a unit that has struggled in the past, any missed snap is a missed opportunity to develop the all important chemistry required of an offensive line.

FULL ARTICLE http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2012/8/6/3 ... amp-report

Anonymous

X said:
St. Louis Rams Training Camp Report: Rodger Saffold Has A Groin Pull, Scott Wells Still Out

Any concerns fans had about the St. Louis Rams offensive line were not laid to rest at Monday's practice. Left tackle Rodger Saffold and center Scott Wells watched their front five brethren get moved aside snap after snap from the sidelines.

The Rams have been incredibly cautious about so-called soft tissue aliments, not pushing players through those at practice lest a sore hamstring evolve into a season-long problem. Saffold's groin pull is minor, but for a unit that has struggled in the past, any missed snap is a missed opportunity to develop the all important chemistry required of an offensive line.

FULL ARTICLE http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2012/8/6/3 ... amp-report

Enh.

The best the OL has played in the last couple of years, 2010, Smith did not even practice until the week of the first preseason game.

Before that it was 2006. Or part of 2006. Most of the season they were dealing with injuries but then finally stabilized in the final 6-7 games. Meaning, no more replacements--they went with the same guys from that point on. And they were first-rate. In execution. Not talent. That was Boudreau.

The center at that point was Romberg. Romberg wasn't even in camp--he signed in September. He was the starter by late November.

There is no must-do timeline on OL chemistry.

And lines are always better IF they're mostly intact in the 2nd year of a system anyway. No week here or there NOW will change that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, you're optimistic, and that's good.

I'm not. After the past several years, I'm guarded. Until I see the same 5 guys starting in week 6, I'm going to remain just a tad concerned about the O-line as a whole. A lot is depending on these guys.

Anonymous

X said:

I'm not. After the past several years, I'm guarded. Until I see the same 5 guys starting in week 6, I'm going to remain just a tad concerned about the O-line as a whole. A lot is depending on these guys.

A lot is always depending on these guys.

And they have been positively over the top hiroshima style wreckage many of the past several years.

In short, unless they have an injury streak like 2011, 2009, 2008, and 2007...and for that matter a great deal of 2006...they will be okay.

If THAT doesn't continue they will be fine. Healthy OL (or even just MOSTLY healthy) means they will be fine.

If THAT kind of injury streak happens again then it makes no difference and all how they look now and whether we're optimistic or skeptical at this point.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
X said:

And they have been positively over the top hiroshima style wreckage many of the past several years.

In short, unless they have an injury streak like 2011, 2009, 2008, and 2007...and for that matter a great deal of 2006...they will be okay.

If THAT doesn't continue they will be fine. Healthy OL (or even just MOSTLY healthy) means they will be fine.

If THAT kind of injury streak happens again then it makes no difference and all how they look now and whether we're optimistic or skeptical at this point.
Yeah, that's kinda what I'm saying.

No, that's EXACTLY what I'm saying. Before, with them having played no games, I was fine with the O-line. Now with Saffold having a groin injury, Smith still being relatively unreliable, Wells not even practicing, and no real stand-out at LG, I'm a little concerned.

And that's okay too.

Isn't it?

Guard

UDFA
X said:

I'm in agreement with you X. I thought the O-Line was one of the biggest concerns coming into the season, and only a couple of positives from the start of the season. Getting Wells was positive, Saffold rehabbing and coming back stronger, Smith getting in much better shape and seeming to get a more positive attitude. But, their has been plenty to be concerned about. Wells slow to recover from his scope and not practicing yet, not really addressing the LOG position, Watkins coming in overweight and out of shape, and just the fact that the starting 5 have not all been identified and not many opportunities to work together. And, I do believe that these practices are lost opportunities and valuable time to "work the kinks out", and gel.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I'm worried. Have been for a while now.

If everyone's healthy they will be able to run a moderate somewhat productive offense imo. Opinions are like assholes though obviously, I know. I hope they prove me wrong.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:

This ^^^ Especially that last sentence.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
X said:

No, that's EXACTLY what I'm saying. Before, with them having played no games, I was fine with the O-line. Now with Saffold having a groin injury, Smith still being relatively unreliable, Wells not even practicing, and no real stand-out at LG, I'm a little concerned.

And that's okay too.

Isn't it?

Wait.

How do we know there's no stand-out at LOG?

We're relying on camp reports.

Those guys don't study film and they don't know how and in what ways one guy or another fits the scheme.

They're just doing rough calculation seat of the pants guessing.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
X said:

And that's okay too.

Isn't it?

Then there's no point in worrying.

Saffold is standing off to the side with soft tissue stuff. Wells will be in soon enough. This is just camp bumps and bruises.

Again. We have no idea right now. None.

Right now, at this point, doubt or skepticism are as much a waste of time as any other response.

If the line is healthy it will be fine. And asking NOW if the line will be healthy in September is like checking the price on the stock you bought every hour, every day.

If the line is injured during the season it won't be fine.

And they could all be healthy now and then get injured later.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
X said:
zn said:
X said:

And that's okay too.

Isn't it?

Then there's no point in worrying.
Oh.

Silly me.

Yeah, everything's cool. No need to do anything but understand that I can't change anything about anything and everything will work out as fate has predetermined it. C'mon, man. All anyone who is concerned about the O-line is saying is, "what if." And that's fueled by "Remember when?" Sure everything could work out. Sure everything could implode. Is there anything wrong with discussing the possibilities and speculating? I'm not sure there is.

So ...... yeah.

I guess I'll continue to waste my time talking about it anyway.

You don't have to, of course. But there are others who have different feelings about it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
zn said:
Wait.

How do we know there's no stand-out at LOG?

We're relying on camp reports.

Those guys don't study film and they don't know how and in what ways one guy or another fits the scheme.

They're just doing rough calculation seat of the pants guessing.

Yeah - we're all guessing right now. I understand your point. We're relying on camp reports both good and bad. Whether it's Wells or Fletcher or Saffold - we will have to wait to see how it actually unfolds. I don't think there is anything wrong with voicing concern. I don't see anyone railing here so openly wondering doesn't hurt and can at times (for me) be cathartic. Am I nervous that we may have a repeat of the O-line of 2011? Certainly. We could very well start the season with several injured linemen and very little depth. Not a good scenario - especially when I think many of us have pretty high hopes of a vastly improved outcome in the 2012 season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
especially when I think many of us have pretty high hopes of a vastly improved outcome in the 2012 season.
And THAT'S what I was referring to when I said "a lot is riding on them." I wasn't referring to Bradford, or the offense, or the standings. I was referring to the freaking DUES owed to us fans, and that's a lot riding on the shoulders of 5 guys.

It is, essentially, all about me (us).

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
IMO

We have a 50 million dollar investment playing behind...

LT Saffold. A player who I'm still skeptical about. He has the work ethic imo to be great one day though.
LG No one. Seriously. We don't even fucking know yet. Not a huge worry though if I be fairly optimistic.
C Wells. Just had minor surgery. Big whoop (it is a knee though.) Still, he hasn't been here. His chemistry with this offense and with Sam in general is a big key to this lines success. He's a good enough player and smart enough to pick things up, but he needs to get in here. I mean, we still don't even know the full reason he's still gone right now. I know "still rehabbing," but that makes it even worse. I mean no disrespect to his personal life AT ALL, really, I'm just talking in the general sense when I say this.
RG No worries. I wish we could clone him. Btw, that isn't fucking holding replacement ref. Watch your back. :tooth:
RT Sigh... Still really pulling for ya Jason. Seriously. Hearing good things again. For the 5th training camp in a row. We all know the history, no reason to continue here.

All backed up by a guy (Barry Richardson) who is considered to be a poor mans Alex Barron. I know there are others, but really? Then you add in a "we'll see" cross your fingers WR group.

The only hope is the coaching staff. I know these blocking TEs weren't brought in for nothing. I keep hearing answered from Snead on "if the oline starts getting injured again" the Rams best defense for that is that they already have a plan in place. That's nice to hear too.

I'll be cheering my ass off for all of them from the stands. I really hope they can shock some people this year. Including me!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
RamFan503 said:
especially when I think many of us have pretty high hopes of a vastly improved outcome in the 2012 season.
And THAT'S what I was referring to when I said "a lot is riding on them." I wasn't referring to Bradford, or the offense, or the standings. I was referring to the freaking DUES owed to us fans, and that's a lot riding on the shoulders of 5 guys.

It is, essentially, all about me (us).

I feel yuh man.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
IMO

LT Saffold. A player who I'm still skeptical about. He has the work ethic imo to be great one day though.
LG No one. Seriously. We don't even fucking know yet. Not a huge worry though if I be fairly optimistic.
C Wells. Just had minor surgery. Big whoop (it is a knee though.) Still, he hasn't been here. His chemistry with this offense and with Sam in general is a big key to this lines success. He's a good enough player and smart enough to pick things up, but he needs to get in here. I mean, we still don't even know the full reason he's still gone right now. I know "still rehabbing," but that makes it even worse. I mean no disrespect to his personal life AT ALL, really, I'm just talking in the general sense when I say this.
RG No worries. I wish we could clone him. Btw, that isn't fucking holding replacement ref. Watch your back. :tooth:
RT Sigh... Still really pulling for ya Jason. Seriously. Hearing good things again. For the 5th training camp in a row. We all know the history, no reason to continue here.

All backed up by a guy (Barry Richardson) who is considered to be a poor mans Alex Barron. I know there are others, but really? Then you add in a "we'll see" cross your fingers WR group.

The only hope is the coaching staff. I know these blocking TEs weren't brought in for nothing. I keep hearing answered from Snead on "if the oline starts getting injured again" the Rams best defense for that is that they already have a plan in place. That's nice to hear too.

I'll be cheering my ass off for all of them from the stands. I really hope they can shock some people this year. Including me!
That's another take, and a fair one.

Nice play on the forum. :sly:
(such a righteous quote by Jenkins)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
We need the luck of the Hibakusha for this OL and entire team when it comes to injuries. We are due such luck!

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
Username said:
IMO

That's another take, and a fair one.

Nice play on the forum. :sly:
(such a righteous quote by Jenkins)

Still debating on Finnegan or Jenkins for a jersey this year. Haven't bought one in about 10 years but these are two cats I'd love to represent on gameday. Probably Finnegan purely off of personality. :mrgreen: I really think this guy is exactly what the Rams needed.