Offense/System/Philosophy...cut& Paste.. Excellent post

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

I still think it's too early to get a sense of what this administration would like to install (up front on offense), stylistically and philosophically. I believe that Coach wants to run the ball with power and wear down, and eventually break the will of defenses. I suspect that he wants a power back who can help him accomplish this, and help him establish a physical identity on offense--- one that will force defenses to have to bring safety help and know that they are heading into a tough, physical game every time they head into a game against the Rams. I think that this is Coach's DNA.

While it may not be how you (or I) would design an offense (and allocate franchise resources to complete the design) I suspect that this is what Coach has in mind. In 2013 I favor the elite passing game, shotgun heavy, multi WR set, up tempo approach with an elite QB shredding defenses attacking seams, and in space from the slot underneath. I would not use a 1 on a RB unless the guy is truly special. That said, I suspect that Coach has a different philosophical vision for the franchise. Plus, I know that he wanted to move up for T Rich as well...and Lacy is a pretty strong bell cow tailback prospect

To briefly summarize my thoughts on the Rams receiving corps, I believe that whether or not they'd consider adding a flanker in the draft (such as Da'Rick) if they had an opportunity to do so, would be a function of their thoughts about Quick. At this point I suspect that they're not at all ready to spend a high pick on a flanker, as they seemingly still like what they have in Quick...and there is a lot to like. As a result, for a while now I've considered a more likely addition to come in the form of a situational deep threat for their 4 wr sets.....a player who could get deep from the slot or from the outside, which would place pressure and force 2 deep looks or otherwise create decisions/strain on the deep safety. That's why I'm looking at Wheaton in the 3rd. This dynamic has been highly productive for NO in recent years, and I'd like to see that here.

PS- I don't see Da'Rick as a Quick clone. I see Da'Rick as a force in the Dez mold, and I believe that Quick compares more favorably to the bigger bodied jump ball threats, a la V Jax.

Lastly- If they're not sure if they have what they hoped to get in Quick, I do see a chance that they'd consider adding a flanker....IF they have a chance to do so in this draft. In this type of scenario, they could continue to bring Quick along slowly, and use him out of the slot and in the red zone, similarly to the way that NO uses Colston out of the slot on 3rd downs, and in the RZ. If they do something like this, that would not necessarily foreclose the future of Quick as a starter outside.

Again, I consider this the less likely scenario, and I still wonder if Da'Rick will be there at 46. If he is, and they're not sold on the long term upside of Quick, they may consider it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Re: Offense/System/Philosophy...cut& Paste.. Excellent post

Hey - Where is 428 these days? If you get the chance, tell him to get his butt back in here.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Re: Offense/System/Philosophy...cut& Paste.. Excellent post

Fisher is hard to figure. Everyone says he loves big corners, but we pick Jenkins. Everone says he likes big physical backs, but he picks Johnson, and then Richardson and Pead. We've seen his teams go from physical running teams, to primarily passing teams.

Honestly, I think Fisher is good with getting the best players that he can on offense and then adapting to their strengths. I think the defensive philosophy is a little different. I think he wants to brand his defense, but he still doesn't seem to get locked in to certain types. He gets locked in to talent, and he prides himself and staff to unlock that talent, and develop it.

Snead and Fish seem like a really good fit, because Snead had a good eye for talent.