Off Season Splash Trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Nsekhe, Brewer & Skura were all UDFA's, Aboushi was a 5'th round draft pick. Admittedly, I'm not sure of the age restrictions for 'futures' contracts, but either way, any contracts that are offered to these 4 players are not guaranteed if they are cut during or immediately following camp, they'll likely be paid a minimum salary to get them into camp. They certainly won't all find permanent roster spots.
No. My friend, I m sorry but a lot of that is just not correct.

The fact that those guys were Not drafted, when they came into the League years ago, no longer has any impact on their free agency status. All four will be Unrestricted Free Agents this off-season. None will be eligible for a Futures Contract.

Although you're right that contracts (at least the salaries) would not be guaranteed, the Rams still have to be under the Salary cap at the start of the New League Year (probably sometime in early-March). Now teams can build their off-season roster to 90 but the salary cap limitation still applies. I believe it's applicable to the top-51 contracts.

If the Rams sign those four veteran, Unrestricted Free Agent OL to contracts worth say $1M per in salary (even assuming no signing bonus), that would be $4M against the cap at the moment of signing. Should they all get released in the final cut-downs, the salaries (not guaranteed) would no longer have any impact on the cap.

The part I italicized, I did not follow. You have them getting cut; and then re-signed for a minimum salary?

Last edited:

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Floyd, Higbee, Van Jefferson & Allen should bring 4 additional draft picks, how high is anybody's guess, although I might estimate one 3'rd, one 4'th, one 5'th & one 6'th. If the Rams can move Raheem Morris to a team needing a H.C., that's another 3'rd round pick. I also see the Rams trading their high 2'nd round pick down for a later 2'nd & a mid-round 3'rd. If the Rams are able to play our off-season right, I suspect not only our 2'nd, but up to four 3'rd round picks are possible.
jmo.
So many bitch Snead can't draft what does a 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th do for us just a bunch of rookie maybes who maybe cheap but they are rookies. Not to mention who do you have behind to replace those guys.

Let's review this dumb post. People are up in arms about our pass rush so let's get rid of Floyd now we have even less. Burns is not coming he just made the pro bowl why would they let a pro bowl player go with a team that is on the verge of the playoffs. The fan base would go off.

We have no TEs that are keepers behind Higby so now we have no TEs. I'll trade Van for a haul but his numbers dont back up a haul. I doubt we get anything for Allen maybe a 7th based on injuries and mediocre play.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm sorry my use of the UDFA wording so confused you, in retrospect I could have left that out. Maybe I was still confused by your statement that I should restrict players to 53 instead of the allowable 90 in camp.

Are you really worried that the Salary Cap at the beginning of the New League year will be a problem ? I'm not, and those 4 contracts won't have much impact on camp imo.

Where do I have the 4 being cut and then re-signed ?

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Yes.

19.6 in DM, 5.6 mil in cap space prior to 6/1
8.2 in DM (but another 8.9 in 2024), 17.0 mil in cap space after 6/1

But the compensation returned in the form of draft picks might be invaluable. I'm not advocating for it, just putting out the numbers.
Okay I'll play along besides our terrible OL our DBs and Safeties we're the second worst area on the team. So you take away the only good DB and Hill is a FA so what DBs do we have? Kendricks, Long (FA), Rochelle, Durant? Laughable. You think the Rams
wants all that dead money even if his salary washes it out I don't.

The ONLY way I trade Ramsey is for a top 10 #1 and high #2. With the sole intent of parlaying that high #2 into a #1 in 2024 with a bad team that Snead feels will be the worst team in 2024 so we get the first pick in the draft and take Caleb Williams an absolute generational talent that is the best QB since Luck to come upfront at #1. Mahomes and Allen weren't #1s.
Or and most likely - we need to keep Ramsey minimumally for another year especially if he has a great year. We shouldn't sell him when we were in a down year he will be valued less and our dead money hit isn't worth it.

Hopefully we have a playoff year and his value is better coming off next season plus his cost to off load him is way better. Most of all we get to find if these rookies and 2nd year players can elevate their game. David Long hasn't (3rder) so there are no guarantees.

We actually need to keep him and get a better #2 CB.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
So many bitch Snead can't draft what does a 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th do for us just a bunch of rookie maybes who maybe cheap but they are rookies. Not to mention who do you have behind to replace those guys.

Let's review this dumb post. People are up in arms about 9ur pass rush so let's get rid of Floyd now we have even less. We have no TEs that are keepers behind Higby so now we have no TEs. I'll trade Van and I doubt we get anything for Allen maybe a 7th based on injuries and mediocre play.

Thank you for your kind reply. If you've read the thread and my posts then my answers have been made clear. Burns is not less than Floyd, Hopkins is still an unknown quantity at TE, so are you advocating losing him as a free agent to even giving him a shot ? It's not like Higbee is throwing up great numbers that can't be duplicated by another. You do it your way, I'll do it mine, ... thing is I've seen your ideas and avoided them as I don't agree, and now I don't really need to converse with you at all.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
They are in CAP trouble and don't have a starting QB next year, trading Burns brings some CAP relief and probable multiple high draft picks.
In terms of their QB there will be options like Mayfield maybe Darnold back, Brady, Rodgers long shot and there will be one or two more excluding moving up in the draft which I wouldn't recommend I hate all 3 top 10 QBs they got failure written all over them. Stroud and Young both feel like another down year for QBs like Picket last year.

Last edited:

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Oh I believe they all have some value. How much is up for debate. But I don't want the Rams to bite off their nose to spite their face. Floyd is prime for a restructure. He's remained healthy, been productive and is an all around OLB. I believe VJ can do the job but can he stay healthy? And that may be the reason he's got little value in trade equity. Center? Sure, if you want a guy who's going to have his knee drained every 2 weeks. I'm not sure he'd pass a trade physical. Higbee would bring value but we'd need a freaking replacement wouldn't we?

I am always surprised when fans want to trade away their guys because they too injured, or too unproductive or too expensive. Like other teams are lining up to make a deal. IMHO, I think if we offered Allen or VJ, teams would say, "no I'll wait for you to release them". On Floyd we'd probably get offers. On Higbee, less than Floyd.
People line up if they are released but will not trade for them.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I'm sorry my use of the UDFA wording so confused you, in retrospect I could have left that out. Maybe I was still confused by your statement that I should restrict players to 53 instead of the allowable 90 in camp.

Are you really worried that the Salary Cap at the beginning of the New League year will be a problem ? I'm not, and those 4 contracts won't have much impact on camp imo.

Where do I have the 4 being cut and then re-signed ?
No problem. I think we have a few different topics here.

At every moment during the 2023 League Year, that will begin in March, every team must be under the cap. However, when teams can have 90 players un the roster, the cap limit is measured by just the top-51 (I believe) contracts. Then it re-sets at the start of the Regular Season, when it is the 53-man-roster.

I see the cap as being a real issue for the Rams. Like I wrote in one of my responses, the Rams will make moves, get under the cap and do business. Every team will. However, it will be tight; and they will have to make tough choices ... hopefully good ones.

As to the the final point, this is what confused me in your prior post:
'any contracts that are offered to these 4 players are not guaranteed if they are cut during or immediately following camp, they'll likely be paid a minimum salary to get them into camp. They certainly won't all find permanent roster spots.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Hey @Riverumbbq, I know we are not agreeing on some of the cap/contract/free agent rules but your views would help the Rams; and make their off-season a little easier. For that reason, I hope I am wrong.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Hey @Riverumbbq, I know we are not agreeing on some of the cap/contract/free agent rules but your views would help the Rams; and make their off-season a little easier. For that reason, I hope I am wrong.

I'm not seeing a disagreement on CAP, contracts or free agency rules yet, there will be time for that. Most of the disagreements I've come up against are how we stack up potential trades, how we draft and free agency. And this is just early January, wait until after the East/West Shrine Game, the Senior Bowl & the Combine, things should really get lively after that.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I don’t believe the core goes anywhere Ramsey very slim chance everyone else I believe is safe. Having said that I think Burns would be great to pass the torch and would be slightly cheaper now as it’s a contract year and Carolina would have to wait the extra year for the pick as after this draft the mortgage is paid and rams are current with their picks.

Now everyone knows how much I’ve wanted burns and want burns but I believe the quicker plan and safer route is signing an edge like Yannick save the picks for the huge glaring hole LT. clearly stafford needs real protection as he is aging and has some serious injury concerns. Orlando Brown probably franchised but if he wasn’t then that be my target and then use picks for burns but more realistic is sign a Yannick playing with AD he could be deadly and trade the picks for Tunisil that one move of Tunsil stabilizes the line as then you have all these pieces if you choose to resign as depth and starters or even sign one guard who isn’t like a tier one or look for another Corbett type. With Bruss added to the mix I think these to moves of Yannick and Tunsil both still youngish help solve most holes then concentrate on resigning your own that you value and the draft.

To me one signing and one trade like these two alter the entire dynamic of the team. Then you can try that culture lure players that are cut less money etc to fill other holes but I don’t think they go through another season with maybes or we like at we see etc at a position like LT. I believe they have learned their lesson. Don’t screw with the offensive line.

You can win a games 48-45 but you can’t win games 14-10 in this NFL now days.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The vast majority of draft picks never justify their draft position. This is exactly why the Rams view picks as disposable and 2 SB appearances in 5 years have validated that approach. This is their first losing season under McVay. Now everyone is in panic mode, let's tear the team down trading away all the talent and drafting even better guys? WTF you guys been smoking? When it doesn't pan out you will blame Snead for drafting poorly, not the concept that makes no sense. This roster just won a SB for god sake. It was decimated by injuries and now you think because 2nd and 3rd string players couldn't get them to the playoffs it's time for a rebuild? Absolute nonsense.

Why are so many in a panic? IMO the only real question mark is how long will Stafford play. IMO he's probably done after this year. But McVay will have the QB he chose to continue on. Overall Baker has played exceptionally well, who cares what the record is. He won games with backups. Like I said so many times it's not winning or losing but how well he plays. McVay loves how he has played. I've never been a fan of Mayfield, quite the contrary. But he's grown professionally and seems to have matured. Is he a diva? Yeah and he always will. But who cares as long as he can play at a high level consistently.

The clock has always been ticking with Stafford since the day he was signed. Even the Rams put an out in the contract out by structure after the 2025 season anticipating he would not be likely to finish the entire contract. His injury IMO changed everything. Then Baker fell into their laps and IMO he will start in 2024. The Rams would gain $13M of cap and could split the dead cap over 2 years.

So why is everyone freaking out and wanting to tear the roster down (the one that won the SB last year). AD is leaving in 2024 that's why I think Buckner would be the guy to grab. AD can play DE for his last year. Buckner would be cheaper than Burns or an edge. They can grab an edge in 2024.

Or they can trade for someone like Josh Allen of the Jaguars. He's a WIL in a 3-4 system but has shown good ability to rush the passer. He has 6 sacks as a WIL with 4.6 speed and good length. As a starting edge, he would look to be a match for Floyd on the opposite side. He probably wouldn't even cost them a 1st round pick. They could probably get him for a second and one of their 5th round comp picks. He's 25 years old. They might be receptive because next year he's a UFA and isn't their primary edge. He was a first round (#7) draft choice in 2019 who didn't pan out as an edge in their system. The talent is there, but IMO could be scheme fit or coaching.

It wouldn't be a splash trade but neither was Floyd who was cut by the Bears after signing his 5th year deal. I can see a lot of similarities between Floyd and Allen.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They are in CAP trouble and don't have a starting QB next year, trading Burns brings some CAP relief and probable multiple high draft picks.
They arent in that bad of shape, DJ Moore could restructure or be cut, saves them a ton of cap space. And Burns? In last year of his deal you'd imagine if they werent trading him, they'd be signing him long term and saving a ton of cap space as well.
Really depends on who comes in as HC. They were in position to potentially win their division just last week despite all of the turmoil.
They have a good number of draft picks this and next year, so I'd think Burns is exactly the type of player you want to hold on to, not get rid of.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
They arent in that bad of shape, DJ Moore could restructure or be cut, saves them a ton of cap space. And Burns? In last year of his deal you'd imagine if they werent trading him, they'd be signing him long term and saving a ton of cap space as well.
Really depends on who comes in as HC. They were in position to potentially win their division just last week despite all of the turmoil.
They have a good number of draft picks this and next year, so I'd think Burns is exactly the type of player you want to hold on to, not get rid of.
Exactly. Didn't we try to get him? If Carolina weren't able to sign him long term, while he's going into his final year, they might not get what they were offered before the deadline. Part of the attraction was the rest of the 2022 season and an off season to sign him long term before the 2023 season. Or maybe they would get the same. But..... Either way, it seems clear they don't want to let him go.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Hell if they only restructure Floyd, they could be under the cap by 10 mil.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kind of a partial truth that he makes splash trades all the time. He’s made a couple that he and McVay felt a good team needed to augment a winner. Seems more like we need a lot this offseason and using our picks seems more likely.