Ochaun Mathis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Play 4: 1st Quarter, 1st-and-10 from the LA 17

View: https://x.com/bgrisakTST/status/1713349571890319456?s=20

Here we get Mathis’ first pressure and it’s a great play design from defensive coordinator Raheem Morris. This is is an alignment that Morris has rolled out frequently this season in order to get pass rushers either a favorable matchup or free run at the quarterback.
Morris calls a “BOSS” alignment which stands for “Big on Same Side”. As you can see, the Rams have started with three of their bigs on the right side and show blitz with Ernest Jones. This forces the offensive line to slide that direction, leaving Mathis a free-run at the quarterback.

Any other quarterback and this might end up being a sack. However, Mathis does force Hurts to escape to his right. Unfortunately, Hoecht breaks contain on the other side and Hurts is able to escape the pocket and pick up positive yards.

Actually this one is Penny, the 5-1, not what Morris calls "Gold" or what Cody Alexander calls "BOSS"
it's not an overload, but the NT slightly on shoulder of Kelce, a 1-tech or shaded 0-tech ... it does not have the
3 "bigs" on one side .. but it did create Mathis being the free runner and a pressure by him.
1710982981730.png

This is what Cody is talking about when he says "BOSS" 3 DL one one side and one opposite ... and one or two LBers
who can drop or cover ... again, Gold (probably Bronze for the slight variations in where guys go and yes, you are right, Rams
run stunts from this all the time
1710983067704.png

-------------------------
Play 7: 2nd Quarter, 3rd-and-9 from the PHI 41

View: https://x.com/bgrisakTST/status/1713350955859648974?s=20

There’s a lot to like about this play. Again, Morris calls a BOSS alignment with Mathis, Donald, and Turner as the “bigs”, giving a one-on-one matchup to Young. There’s also a stunt. Morris is trying to take advantage of Jason Kelce’s head being on a swivel, but the Eagles center is just very good.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQDyKhhgB4c&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F

In terms of Mathis on this play, there are a few things to like and things that he could do better. First off, the spin move that he pulled off on Lane Johnson was a lot of fun to watch. It shows off his athleticism and explosiveness as a player. However, by doing so, he breaks contain and Hurts is able to flush the pocket. Against a pocket passer, this may end up being a sack.

Mathis recovers, but slips and is unable to tackle Hurts in the open field. That’s another moment where he could be better, but also unfortunate that he slipped. On grass, that maybe doesn’t happen.

Yes, this is the 3x1 Gold, or "BOSS" as Cody calls it ...this is from the clip you posted ... you can see the 3x1 and in this case 2 LBers ... both can rush, one can rush, or neither can rush and they can work in with the Dl stints, creating the 3-man weave he's talking about
1710983148541.png

I think this is the sideline of that same play--
1710983306953.png

But main point is Mathis, IMO, showed something. I don't know why he didn't play down the stretch, I think he has more to offer than Hampton but maybe Hampton looked better in practice, or picked up defense better.

I think Mathis can be a rotational guy in 2024 at the edge... more size and power than Hampton ... but not knowing what Rams saw, maybe he's not "all that" I just saw when he played he had more impact plays than Hampton.

We'll see.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Actually this one is Penny, the 5-1, not what Morris calls "Gold" or what Cody Alexander calls "BOSS"
it's not an overload, but the NT slightly on shoulder of Kelce, a 1-tech or shaded 0-tech ... it does not have the
3 "bigs" on one side .. but it did create Mathis being the free runner and a pressure by him.
View attachment 64886

This is what Cody is talking about when he says "BOSS" 3 DL one one side and one opposite ... and one or two LBers
who can drop or cover ... again, Gold (probably Bronze for the slight variations in where guys go and yes, you are right, Rams
run stunts from this all the time
View attachment 64887

-------------------------

Yes, this is the 3x1 Gold, or "BOSS" as Cody calls it ...this is from the clip you posted ... you can see the 3x1 and in this case 2 LBers ... both can rush, one can rush, or neither can rush and they can work in with the Dl stints, creating the 3-man weave he's talking about
View attachment 64888
I think this is the sideline of that same play--
View attachment 64889

But main point is Mathis, IMO, showed something. I don't know why he didn't play down the stretch, I think he has more to offer than Hampton but maybe Hampton looked better in practice, or picked up defense better.

I think Mathis can be a rotational guy in 2024 at the edge... more size and power than Hampton ... but not knowing what Rams saw, maybe he's not "all that" I just saw when he played he had more impact plays than Hampton.

We'll see.

I still think Hampton fits more at inside linebacker who can occasionally move outside. The Rams thrived on that misdirection last year; stunts, coverage disguises. I think the signing of Kamren Curl for STAR is only going to help in that subterfuge; you have three safeties whom I feel can legitimately play STAR or cover two in Curl, Lake, and Yeast (yes, I said Yeast; I don't get why he's maligned while Nick Scott is glorified, when he's been just as good and hits just as hard.), and then you include the linebackers, the defensive line stunts.

If we get a stud DT and another stud edge or two, this defense could take off.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Mathis has a ways to go, I am hopeful but neither encouraged or discouraged. From what I saw he was an average rookie contributor that as a 6th rounder is playing well enough to be cautiously optimistic.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Mathis missed most of training camp and started the season on the injured list. Considering that, the flashes we saw from him in limited play gives me some optimism. I take the fact that we haven't gone out and picked up a free agent edge rusher ....yet... tells me they're fine with utilizing the draft to add to the edge rotation competition with Mathis, Hampton and Thomas. I may be jumping the gun but I think Hoecht is moving back inside to replace Jonah Williams. ..

We have young talent on the edge with Young and the rest and I'm all for us adding to that in this draft. In fact if we don't draft an edge at #19, I'd be more than fine with us adding to that edge depth in later rounds.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Mathis missed most of training camp and started the season on the injured list. Considering that, the flashes we saw from him in limited play gives me some optimism.
Right, Hampton got ahead of him and then it was Mathis, then back to Hamtpon for the 4th edge spot in Sundays. I wonder why

I may be jumping the gun but I think Hoecht is moving back inside to replace Jonah Williams. ..
Possible, I don't think he has Williams's strength but he's more athletic. I think he may play DT in passing situations ... but unless Rams draft an edge, he play split time there again.

We have young talent on the edge with Young and the rest and I'm all for us adding to that in this draft. In fact if we don't draft an edge at #19, I'd be more than fine with us adding to that edge depth in later rounds.

Yeah, IMO, edge is still #1 need, now DT may be 2nd, CB moves back with addition of Williams.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Mathis missed most of training camp and started the season on the injured list. Considering that, the flashes we saw from him in limited play gives me some optimism. I take the fact that we haven't gone out and picked up a free agent edge rusher ....yet... tells me they're fine with utilizing the draft to add to the edge rotation competition with Mathis, Hampton and Thomas. I may be jumping the gun but I think Hoecht is moving back inside to replace Jonah Williams. ..

The reality is that we have more edge guys than DL. And yes, the draft could be telling of what they think of Mathis/Hampton.

If they reach a bit for an edge, then that's not good. If they reach a bit for a DT at 19 or if they trade down and take a DT, then they might feel better about those guys than we do.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I still think Hampton fits more at inside linebacker who can occasionally move outside.
Don't see that at all for him. I don't see inside linebacker skill set at all.

I think the signing of Kamren Curl for STAR is only going to help in that subterfuge; you have three safeties whom I feel can legitimately play STAR or cover two in Curl, Lake, and Yeast (yes, I said Yeast; I don't get why he's maligned while Nick Scott is glorified, when he's been just as good and hits just as hard.), and then you include the linebackers, the defensive line stunts.
I think Curl plays safety with Lake as the star and when they want 3 CBs, then Durant will be star. I do think Curl could be the money backer, the 2nd linebacker, like Yeast was a little bit.

Yeast has poor ball skills and misses a lot of tackles ... but that isn't to say he can't improve.

If we get a stud DT and another stud edge or two, this defense could take off.
Agree.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
The reality is that we have more edge guys than DL. And yes, the draft could be telling of what they think of Mathis/Hampton.

If they reach a bit for an edge, then that's not good. If they reach a bit for a DT at 19 or if they trade down and take a DT, then they might feel better about those guys than we do.
Yeah... IF Hoecht is back inside, then we have 4 D-linemen currently......and 4 Edges. Could see us getting a total of 3 out of the draft....2 DLs and 1 edge, or vice-versa, and possibly signing an affordable vet for either.... We need to bring in some UDFAs as well at those positions, because we've done well in that area in the past...

Obviously no replacing AD, but I'm hopeful that we can look back at last season as us adding some youth that turned out to be the foundation for our D-line... Which set us up to build a stout unit with this year's draft.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I think Curl plays safety with Lake as the star and when they want 3 CBs, then Durant will be star. I do think Curl could be the money backer, the 2nd linebacker, like Yeast was a little bit.

Yeast has poor ball skills and misses a lot of tackles ... but that isn't to say he can't improve.

Agree.
If you think Durant is going to be a CB,or that The Rams don’t need to address the CB position. Would be
Foolish thinking imo.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
If you think Durant is going to be a CB,or that The Rams don’t need to address the CB position. Would be
Foolish thinking imo.
Didn't say either of those things. Not even close. Just said when they want to go 3 CBs rather than 3 safeties Durant would play star. and if they go with 3 safeties Lake will be the star.

Rams did address CB position and will do some more, either a winning or draft ...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Didn't say either of those things. Not even close. Just said when they want to go 3 CBs rather than 3 safeties Durant would play star. and if they go with 3 safeties Lake will be the star.

Rams did address CB position and will do some more, either a winning or draft ...

Until they do more than bring Williams back then consider me concerned.I know they will address the CB position.The Rams need to also get an EDGE/DE. I’m going to keep pounding on the door on L.Latu !!!

I watched Hasson Reddick highlights & was thinking about what he would cost ?? Salary Cap wise & cost would be better in the long run.5 years of Latu would be nice.Then again getting the cream of the Crop at CB might be the way to go.A shut down CB is priceless. 5 years with Williams would be excellent . Reddick though rushing from the Left Side & B. Young staying on Right side of the ball would be a Great Match.
—Rams should go(& will) go All Defense Early in the Draft(first 3 picks).
—Still not sold at RB,because Rivers & Williams have been hurt at the same time. PERFECT EXAMPLE oF how close The Rams were to WINNING it all in 2023!!!
Williams broke hand & Rivers hurt against Detroit. If healthy ? Who knows,but still is Zach Evan’s going to improve this offseason & how much ??

—The Rams are in a good space.In fact in the long(short) run miget be better off without AD99. No disrespect,but Shula will be (must)able to do more things getting to the QB.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I really like what Mathis showed when he was in during the Philly game. One thing that really popped out was how fast he was. Why they had someone as slow as Hoecht drop in coverage and cover receivers when they had someone fast like Mathis is beyond me. I hope Mathis can step up next season, clean up his skills a bit and be a starter, which we greatly need.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Mathis didn't impress me.. but he's got plenty of physical tools. We'll see.

I don't compare him to Hampton.. I don't think they play the same position. I see Hampton as more of a 4-3 outside backer.
I could see him lining up, as I said, in some packages that align more like a 4-2-5.. he seems to have some football instincts, and moves well.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Until they do more than bring Williams back then consider me concerned.I know they will address the CB position.The Rams need to also get an EDGE/DE. I’m going to keep pounding on the door on L.Latu !!!
Yeah agree, I expect the draft to be how they address both ...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Not even as a weakside interior backer like he played on occasion? I just don't think Hampton fits much on the edge; I feel that his sideline-to-sideline speed and blitzing would be a welcome addition to an inside linebacker corps that needs an injection of both, aside from Jones.

Yeast can still hit just as hard as Scott, and though he may not have the ball skills that Scott did, he's a far better tackler - and remember that Scott never even started until his third year, while Yeast has been starting since late in his rookie year. There's still plenty of time to improve.

I think that the Rams - or Curl himself - mentioned that versatility, potentially the STAR position would be in play and that's what drew him to us.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Not even as a weakside interior backer like he played on occasion? I just don't think Hampton fits much on the edge; I feel that his sideline-to-sideline speed and blitzing would be a welcome addition to an inside linebacker corps that needs an injection of both, aside from Jones.

Yeast can still hit just as hard as Scott, and though he may not have the ball skills that Scott did, he's a far better tackler - and remember that Scott never even started until his third year, while Yeast has been starting since late in his rookie year. There's still plenty of time to improve.

I think that the Rams - or Curl himself - mentioned that versatility, potentially the STAR position would be in play and that's what drew him to us.
It was said the Rams announcing Curl as a "DB" and not a "S" was a tell.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Yes darling it was Curl who said it. He can do more things than when in Washington.

Look forward to seeing Mathias in training camp.wonder about
Vanvakinberg

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Just my opinion, but no, I don't see him as ILber at all. Pretty sure he's been nothing but a DE/Edge since high school.

Yeast missed a ton of tackles -- missed 22% according to PFF and PFR ... I don't hate him, it's just that he does need to, as you say, improve.

I think he said he'd play safety but did mention "skill sets" -- said safety "and then some" . And maybe some of the things he did in Washington -- and that was nickel LBer the last two years .. what Rams call "money". I didn't hear him say star at all. He did mention some versatility. He has not played slot for about 3 years, something like that. I think the Star is Lake. But that is just a guess. Not saying he cannot or won't play it, it's just that he has not played it in a while and Rams have someone there and it was not specifically mentioned. You may have misheard it. But hearing "you know what I'm saying" every sentence it's hard to hear everything they are saying.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
FWIW…. Mathis is VERY similar in athletic profile to Maxx Crosby.

There’s plenty of reason to hope for more out of him when you see that.