Ochaun Mathis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
FWIW…. Mathis is VERY similar in athletic profile to Maxx Crosby.

There’s plenty of reason to hope for more out of him when you see that.
I think Mathis a question mark, but that said, if it were me, I'd take edge in 1st ... as long as it is not a reach. One reason is we only need one. We don't need another middle rounder like Mathis or Hampton --- in other words I don't want to draft a depth edge guy. It is time for an elite .. now different question if someone drops.

But Young is set on one side, hoping rookie on the others. Then we have rotational guys. Will be interesting to see if they make changes with Hoecht. Maybe multiple roles.

After edge, 2nd round --- BPA among DI, CB, and WR ... same for 3rd ...

But Rams, I am sure will do something different. Though will say I was wanting an IOL last year and they got one. Been saying fo a long time Rams needed to use some high picks on OL. Also thought edge should have been 2nd pick and it was.

This year, for me --- edge, CB, WR, DI,

Mathis though may end up busting, I don't know all I can say is in limited appearances, once he got healthy, he looked better than Hampton. Does not me he IS, just that I think he is. Rams are disagreeing ... Hampton got a uniform more often ... though Mathis dinged early.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I did not see anything encouraging about Hampton last year, not even in the preseason games going up against scrubs.

If both he and Mathis are healthy, this camp will be a better comparison—one that I think in which Mathis will show out better.

dang

Legend
I think Mathis a question mark, but that said, if it were me, I'd take edge in 1st ... as long as it is not a reach. One reason is we only need one. We don't need another middle rounder like Mathis or Hampton --- in other words I don't want to draft a depth edge guy. It is time for an elite .. now different question if someone drops.

But Young is set on one side, hoping rookie on the others. Then we have rotational guys. Will be interesting to see if they make changes with Hoecht. Maybe multiple roles.

But Rams, I am sure will do something different. Though will say I was wanting an IOL last year and they got one. Been saying fo a long time Rams needed to use some high picks on OL. Also thought edge should have been 2nd pick and it was.

Mathis though may end up busting, I don't know all I can say is in limited appearances, once he got healthy, he looked better than Hampton. Does not me he IS, just that I think he is. Rams are disagreeing ... Hampton got a uniform more often ... though Mathis dinged early.
I’m thinking an RB is late-R3/mid-R4 (if a trade gets us a R4).

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

I think the decision to actually use the #19 pick will be between an Edge, DL, Corner or WR. If they use it at 19.. it will be someone they value greatly, imo.. and it could be at any of those four positions.

Theoretically... I'd love an edge first.. but if the grade on a guy at one of the other three positions is significantly higher when they make their first pick, I understand getting the best value.

Looks like we have the same position priorities.

As for flat-out need on the roster? I broke it down elsewhere.. they lost almost 1500 snaps between Donald and Williams.. while, right now, they have both of their starting edges coming back. They need quality bodies on the inside. I could see them cobbling together an edge group with a second or third rounder.. plus Hoecht, Young and Mathis.. Plus a veteran bargain in Summer.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
FWIW…. Mathis is VERY similar in athletic profile to Maxx Crosby.

There’s plenty of reason to hope for more out of him when you see that.
Not sure that they're similar? Or that there's reason to hope?
Look up their combine stuff..
Mathis has always been more prospect than player.. the hope is he figures it out. But... he's gotta start showing something more.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I think the decision to actually use the #19 pick will be between an Edge, DL, Corner or WR. If they use it at 19.. it will be someone they value greatly, imo.. and it could be at any of those four positions.
100% agree --- BPA from that group of positions ...

Theoretically... I'd love an edge first.. but if the grade on a guy at one of the other three positions is significantly higher when they make their first pick, I understand getting the best value.

Me, too -- but I wonder if a good one will be there. Seems like the mocks I see the good ones go before 19 and then the next group are more like 2nd rounders ...

Looks like we have the same position priorities.
yeah, I see the same things

As for flat-out need on the roster? I broke it down elsewhere.. they lost almost 1500 snaps between Donald and Williams.. while, right now, they have both of their starting edges coming back. They need quality bodies on the inside. I could see them cobbling together an edge group with a second or third rounder.. plus Hoecht, Young and Mathis.. Plus a veteran bargain in Summer.
Yes, DL is a concern. Who will make those snaps up?

Well, I am wondering what kind of DL they will target.

Not always, but usually Rams have had a 3-tech in Donald and more of a 5-tech in Williams (Broncks and Robinson before him). But because of the Fangio scheme both play a lot of 4i rather than 3- and 5. But, let's call Donald a B-gap player or a DT ... at 4 or 4i he's got that gap.

Brockers/Robinson/Williams would have some B-gap and some C-Gap depending, so let's call them DEs, though they are more B-Gap than anything.

What will they do with Turner? I suspect they will put him at Donald's position in base defense, DT, I'll call it.

Turner was more of a nose tackle (A-Gap player) when he played in base, spelling Brown III ... and kind of a 2i/1 in nickel.

So,
A-Gap/NT = Brown III
B-Gap/DT = Turner
C-Gap/DE = ??

Nickel
DE = ??
NT = ??
DT = Turner
DE = Young

If they look at it like I do they would be looking to draft more of a DE-type guy who hopefully can rush the passer.

A lot of the guys out there seem to be smaller, DT types at least by body type and where I see them --- there are 6-1, 6-2 and around 300 pounds, not the 6-4, 310-320 guys ...

If they went with what I am calling DT guys then Turner may play that DE (4i/5) and a rookie could play the DT (3/4i)

Ruke Orhorhoro, the Clemson kid, to me, is the DE-type or more of a 4-3 DT type, but he played NT and DT in college.
The Murphy, the Texas kid, strikes me as a DT, 3-t type
The Illinois kid, I cannot get a handle on him.

Fiske, to me, is a DE

Dorius (Oregon) and Hall (Ohio State), Wingo (LSU) look like DTs, guys who'd play Donald's position

Sweat, Texas, is huge, like a A. Robinson type --- could also be a nost, I suppose with Brown III going to DE --

Taylor (Miami) and Carter (Duke) seem like they could do either ---

Mason Smith (LSU), tall guy --- would be a DE/5-4i

McKinley Jackson is interesting, he's more of a nose, but a penetrating nose. Could play nose, Brown III going to DE

The point is a lot of these guys will be around in 3rd round ... outside of Murphey, Newton, and Fiske and Ruke Orhorhoro--if we want them it would have to be 1st or 2nd round.

Because of the versatility of Turner, Brown III and D. Johnson (who I like), Murch (a DT, to me) plus even Hoecht who could take snaps at DE ...
getting one guy is all they need and Rams can rearrange to suit his skills, allows them not to have to pick a "type"

With edge players, seems like 1st or 2nd round is a must so, IMO 3rd round is not option, but it is option for DT/DE

WR- seems deep so rounds 1-3 seem possible
CB - you never know, good players can come from 4th ... but someone who follows draft better would know.

WR is wildcard ... if one of the elite on drops, Rams would be tempted to take him over edge.

But if it were me:

1. Edge (as long as one of the good ones drops), if not, BPA of DT/DE, CB or WR
2. if we get edge, can go WR or CB
3. I think we can get good prospect of a DE/DT or CB here
3. Same as early 3

Would LOVE to trade down a few spots in 1st if edge not there and get an extra 3-4.

Last edited:

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I don't think we know what we have yet. But he def needs to get stronger, I didn't like the plays I saw at the beginning of this thread.
He needs another camp before we know what we have, but I wouldn't NOT pick an EDGE just because he's coming off IR now.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Here is what I mean --- the edge I wanted in this fantasy draft was not there
traded down to get an extra 3rd ... the DIs on the right were the ones
available --- I picked Taylor, PFF didn't like it, but there were DTs, DEs and NTs
all there

Pick one ---

And then whatever you pick, they can work in with Turner, Brown III, DeJuan, Murch and perhaps Hoecht

2024-03-22_13-26-43.jpg

dang

Legend
Here is what I mean --- the edge I wanted in this fantasy draft was not there
traded down to get an extra 3rd ... the DIs on the right were the ones
available --- I picked Taylor, PFF didn't like it, but there were DTs, DEs and NTs
all there

Pick one ---

And then whatever you pick, they can work in with Turner, Brown III, DeJuan, Murch and perhaps Hoecht

View attachment 64918
First 4 all look to be drafted a bit too early.