OC Greg Roman hints the 49ers could pass more in 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day but welcome news for the Rams. Bring it on Greg!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Greg Roman hints the 49ers could pass more in 2014
Posted by Josh Alper on June 18, 2014

colin-kaepernick.jpg
Getty Images

The 49ers have given quarterback Colin Kaepernick a contract extension and now they may be giving him more throwing to do to go along with it.

Offensive coordinator Greg Roman said that it is Kaepernick’s second full year as a starter and the quarterback is “seeing things now that he didn’t see before.” Roman also pointed out the new receivers on the roster and, as a result of those developments, Roman hinted that there may be more balls in the air when the 49ers take the field this season.

“We kind of went through everything we’ve done and really kind of stripped it back down to its most element basic parts and [started] over at square one. I would say, I think it’s fair to make the statement that it’s a different offense, 2014,” Roman said, via the San Francisco Chronicle. “Because we’ve got some new guys in, Brandon Lloyd has been out there everyday. He’s done a great job of taking advantage of his opportunities. Stevie Johnson’s another guy. So, we’ll see how it all goes.”

Throwing the ball more often shouldn’t be hard for the Niners, who have ranked at the back end of the league in pass attempts in all three of coach Jim Harbaugh’s seasons. They also have a stable of good running backs and a strong offensive line, however, so the team could still play things in a variety of ways. Given the investment in Kaepernick and Roman’s comments, though, more passing in 2014 wouldn’t come as much of a shock.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
You mean after acquiring Steve Johnson and Brandon Lloyd in addition to Crabtree and Boldin, they may pass more?

Shocking.

Given their QB, I welcome this change in philosophy.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
God I hope so. Kaepernick doesn't have the QBing skills to throw 30 or more times a game. He's lucky he only has to chuck it 15-20 most times.

ausmurp

Starter
You mean after acquiring Steve Johnson and Brandon Lloyd in addition to Crabtree and Boldin, they may pass more?

Shocking.

Given their QB, I welcome this change in philosophy.

Exactly. Please pass more. Kaepernick is a good football player, but just an average passing QB. He has the skills to win with that team though. But stop doing what has put them in 3 consecutive NFC Championship games?! Please let that be true.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not that the kid is going to be as good as Brady - but it did take Brady a number of decent years before the Patriots surrounded him with more receiving talent and he exploded. So it could happen.

But yes, I would much rather the Niners go away from their strengths.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
How would Greg Roman know? Jim Harbaugh calls all the plays!:sneaky:

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I still can't believe that they picked up Johnson and Lloyd. They better throw it more, with Boldin, Crabtree, and Davis also on the squad, there might not be enough footballs to go around. I would love to see a little turmoil over there.