Observations from Rams' eighth OTA/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Observations from Rams' eighth OTA
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9386/observations-from-rams-eighth-ota

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams are coming down the home stretch of their offseason program with just a pair of organized team activities after Tuesday's practice.

As always, it should be noted that much of what happens in these organized team activities should be taken with a grain of salt (especially for the linemen). The players are not in pads and contact must be extremely limited. It's best not to get too excited or too down on anything that happens.

Ogletree's day: Linebacker Alec Ogletree is coming off a strong finish to his rookie season in which he unseated James Laurinaitis as the team's leading tackler and showed a knack for making big, splashy plays. Much is expected from Ogletree in Year 2 after he seemed to get his feet under him in the second part of last season.

On Tuesday, Ogletree was all over the place in the practice on his way to a couple of interceptions and some other good work in seven-on-seven and team drills. On one play in seven-on-seven, Ogletree ran down the seam with tight end Lance Kendricks and jumped in front of a throw from quarterback Sam Bradford for an interception. He followed by reading a short pass to the flat correctly and jumping on a route, producing what would have been a short gain.

Quick's progress: Receiver Brian Quick had a good day, jumping out early with a good route down the seam for about a 20-yard touchdown from Bradford. He even got his share of work with the first team offense.

Quick is entering his third season, and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer spoke glowingly of the young wideout after practice.

"Probably the most improved player I've seen is Brian Quick," Schottenheimer said. "He's doing a great job. Another guy that we're giving an opportunity to, he's competing for playing time and he's made the most of his opportunities. He started today, again just moving guys around in and out of the lineup trying to create competition, and he's stepped up and made a lot of big plays for us."

Sitting it out: The list of Rams not participating in practice grew larger Tuesday even as the practice rolled on. Receiver Jamaine Sherman, cornerback Trumaine Johnson, safeties Christian Bryant, Maurice Alexander and Matt Daniels, running back Chase Reynolds, linebacker Ray Ray Armstrong, end Sammy Brown, center Scott Wells, left tackle Jake Long, defensive tackle Michael Brockers, end William Hayes and defensive tackle Kendall Langford did not practice.

Armstrong, Wells and Langford are new additions to the list, though their reasons for not practicing are unknown. Armstrong did have a wrap on his right leg and Wells was not present.

Before the practice ended, two more joined the list. Receiver Kenny Britt walked gingerly to a golf cart with an athletic trainer, and cornerback Darren Woodard also walked off before the session was over.

Pead
Pead's place: Running back Isaiah Pead has been lost in the shuffle a bit since the Rams found their top two backs in Zac Stacy and Benny Cunningham, and then added Tre Mason in the third round of this year's draft. Midway through last season, Pead took a role on special teams and apparently excelled in the role to the point where the Rams view him as one of their most valuable contributors there.

In looking at his role for this season, special teams again figure to be a big part of the plan. Special teams coach John Fassel raved about Pead's work in that area after Tuesday's practice.

"Last year he really committed to special teams and not only was a contributor, he was a high impact guy for us," Fassel said. "I think a lot of people are going to see a lot of growth out of that guy, not only on [special] teams, and I can't speak for offense but I just imagine with his maturity, his work ethic, his ability, I would imagine he's going to have a fantastic preseason."

Pead did plenty of work on coverage units and proved to be a solid contributor as Fassel alluded to, but it's possible his role could expand. Fassel said the Rams would like to take some of the kick return duties off receiver Tavon Austin's plate and mentioned Pead as a possibility.

As for doing some work on offense, Pead has been getting some snaps there. He made a nice catch on a wheel route from Bradford during team drills in what would have gone for a long gain in a game.

What's next: The final OTA open to the media is set for Thursday afternoon and the Rams will conclude offseason business Friday before returning for training camp in July.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rams will have 14 practices open to public in training camp

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_2d1e8198-a846-5a3d-8fd8-f97f9fe714ba.html

The Rams will have 14 practices open to the public for 2014 training camp, including an open scrimmage at the Edward Jones Dome on Aug. 2.

Autograph sessions with select players will take place at the end of each practice, including the scrimmage.

Rookies report to Rams Park on July 21, with veterans reporting to camp July 24. The first public practice will be held at 3:30 p.m. on July 25, a Friday.

Here's the complete schedule of open practices for training camp. All practices are at Rams Park with the exception of the dome scrimmage:

Fri. July 25, 3:30 p.m.

Sat. July 26, 3:30 p.m.

Sun. July 27, 5:30 p.m.

Tues. July 29, 3:30 p.m.

Fri. August 1, 3:30 p.m.

Sat. August 2, 12:30 p.m. (dome scrimmage)

Mon. August 4, 3:30 p.m.

Tues. August 5, 5:30 p.m.

Thurs. August 7, 3:30 p.m.

Mon. August 11, 3:30 p.m.

Tues. August 12, 5:30 p.m.

Thurs. August 14, 3:30 p.m.

Tues. August 19, 3:30 p.m.

Weds. August 20, 3:30 p.m.

All dates and times are subject to change. Video cameras and alcohol are prohibited at camp. For more information, visit the Rams' website at www.stlouisrams.com, or call the training camp hotline at (314) 982-7267.

PRACTICE NOTES

* * *With temperatures in the low 90s on Tuesday, rookies and new Rams got an early taste of what training could be like in late July and August. The team has only two scheduled OTA sessions remaining before taking a 4 1/2 week break before the start of training. Thursday marks the last session open to the media.

* * *Tuesday was a throwing day for QB Sam Bradford, and as usual, he participated in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 work.

* * *Lots of Rams sat out Tuesday. The list included: WR Jamaine Sherman, CB Trumaine Johnson, S Christian Bryant, S Maurice Alexander, RB Chase Reynolds, LB Ray Ray Armstrong, DE Sammy Brown, C Scott Wells, LT Jake Long, DT Michael Brockers, DE Williams Hayes, DT Kendall Langford.

In addition, a gimpy WR Kenny Britt left practice early.

* * *Reynolds, one of the team's core special teams players, has missed all of the OTA sessions with a sports hernia. He underwent surgery a couple of weeks ago, but should be fine for the start of training camp.

* * *LB Alec Ogletree had a pair of interceptions, one during 7-on-7 work and another during an 11-on-11 session. Second-year S Cody Davis and Missouri rookie CB E.J. Gaines also had INTs.

* * *Second-round draft pick Lamarcus Joyner appeared to have a good day in coverage; Mizzou WR T.J. Moe had a fairly active day catching the ball.

* * *The Rams had a group of referees on hand Tuesday, making calls during practice.

RamBill

Legend

Jim Thomas @jthom1

Rams off the practice field following Tuesday's open OTA. Today was a throwing day for Sam Bradford.

Chase Reynolds, one of Rams core special teams players, has missed OTAs because of a sports hernia. He underwent surgery on it two weeks ago

Lots of players sat out today: WR Jamaine Sherman; CB Trumaine Johnson; S Christian Bryant; S Maurice Alexander: RB Chase Reynolds. .LB Ray Ray Armstrong; DE Sammy Brown; C Scott Wells; LT Jake Long; DT Michael Brockers; DE William Hayes; DT Kendall Langford.

In addition, WR Kenny Britt left early, walking gingerly.

RamBill

Legend
OTA Day Eight Recap
By Jonathan Webb

In his first meeting with St. Louis media during organized team activities, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams shone a bit of light on his vision for the Rams’ defense.

Armed with what has widely been considered some of the league’s best defensive personnel, which has included multiple upgrades through the draft and free agency, Williams has wasted no time into implementing his schemes at—or above—a typical game pace.

“We try to turn the practices into harder things, harder simulations than games,” Williams said. “I believe in the organized chaos theory of practices being very, very hard to communicate, fighting through with reps and all that kind of stuff so that when they get to the games, it’s pretty routine. It’s very simple. This has been a learning curve for them and really been a learning curve for me because I’ve got to try to learn each and every one of them - the veterans, too.”

It would be difficult to not take notice of Williams during any of the Rams’ eight OTA practices to date. The veteran coordinator is among the most vocal members on the field, and team 11 on 11 segments have taken on a distinctly upbeat tempo throughout. It appears that same level of intensity and efficiency has taken place in the Rams’ meeting rooms. At an early meeting with other coaches following his hiring, Williams presented an ambitious checklist for the offseason. Perhaps too ambitious, in the minds of some.

“When I put up the projects on the board when I first got here, there (were) 101 projects and they said there’s no way we could get done with that before training camp,” Williams said. “We’re already done. We’ve already got those things done and we’ve been covering all those things and we’ve learned a bunch from them. It’s a fun time.”

News and Notes

-Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer lauded the progress of a number of receivers, but particularly third-year wideout Brian Quick, whom Schottenheimer dubbed the offense’s ‘most improved’ player during the offseason.

-Continuing with the every-other-day timeline the Rams laid out for QB Sam Bradford during OTAs, Bradford participated in throwing drills during Tuesday’s practice. Tuesday’s workload was typical of the past two weeks for Bradford, who has suffered no setbacks throughout the OTA period.

-Rookie guard Greg Robinson, who has been working to transition from left tackle during OTAs, has made steady progress in the early stages of his position change. Schottenheimer allowed that the learning curve for Robinson has a ways to go, however.

“I think it’s going to be an adjustment for him, and it’s going to take a little time,” Schottenheimer said. “You can see how naturally talented he is, how strong he is, but there’s been some growing pains and there will be.”

-RB Isaiah Pead, who has stayed after multiple OTAs working with special teams coordinator John Fassel, has made a significant impression both on return and coverage units.

“Around midseason last year, he really committed to special teams,” Fassel said. “He was not only a contributor, but a high-impact guy for us. I think a lot of people are going to see a lot of improvement out of that guy.”

-Fassel added that the Rams have ‘great candidates’ at the kickoff return position this year, adding that they may look to lighten the load of returning from WR Tavon Austin.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ogketree going to be a monster this coming season.
I remember last year in the Niner game he slipped to give up a TD.That game was a disaster,but Quick had his 2nd TD in 2 years at SF.Now the Stick is gone.
Alex Ogletree is going to be great.I loved the way he never gave up & punched all those fumbles out.TJ & him close down show fast together in the flat off a screen,or short out to the right.
Will I. Pead become team Captain ? Bailey will be missed on special teams.Love Peads attitude which will carry over to the rookies coming in.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I think I may be in love with g williams haha. You gotta love his intensity, he is what the rams have been missing