Objective opinion on refs/penalties?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rfa77

UDFA
I've been a fan for 42 years. So, I am a bit biased when it comes to the Rams. Everything else aside (poor OL; poor defense; poor coaching), and sticking to subject, are the Rams really the victims of deliberate bad officiating or is this simply a case of the officiating in the NFL has gotten worse over the years and the same calls are made against other teams?

I mean, I've seen some of the really bad - really bad - calls/non-calls (that you have all seen) against the Rams and of course, my biases' would tend for me to believe the Refs are targeting the Rams intentionally.

Is there somebody out there who can objectively address this? I don't watch many other games but when I do, I tend not to pay attention to calls, so I ca't raly say one way or another if the Rams are, indeed, targeted. Thaks.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Not sure because I don't pay as close attention to other games, but I've seen some utterly ridiculous calls this year against the Rams. Both calls and non-calls. That phantom offensive PI against Cook last night. Wow. Just wow.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
"Objective opinion" is an oxymoron... can't really summarize an opinion on Rams penalties without subjective conclusions. Raw penalty data is the only thing that's objective, but by itself largely useless. The conclusions drawn are what matters, and any conclusions drawn will be subjective.

For example, see: http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/offensive-holding?year=2014 This objectively shows the Rams opponents getting flagged for 1 offensive holding penalty per game.

Now subjectively you could go thru the following opinion reasoning:
-Rams have one of the best DLs in the NFL so teams will try to hold them to stop them
-Therefore they should get more holding calls than average. In fact last year they did get more than average.
-Because the Rams are getting way less holding calls than average, the refs are screwing them this year.

But can you say that's an "objective opinion"? No. In fact the very nature of many NFL penalties is subjective, it's an opinion of a referee on many judgment calls. So it comes down to the fan opinion of the referee opinion.

However, the phantom OPI was, objectively, a terrible blown call! ;)

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I just don't think they are calling much offensive holding. They are really putting pressure on defenses this year because QB's are getting more time to throw and they are nitpicking on illegal contact and holding in the secondary. I don't like the way the games are being called league round.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Watch the Kaep TD pass to Boldin at 14-10, first drive of the 3rd quarter. Critical 3rd down play.

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000410690/Colin-Kaepernick-11-yard-touchdown-pass-to-Anquan-Boldin

Watch what happens to Quinn at the bottom of the screen. He's literally spun around and to the ground.
Watch what happens to Donald who beats his guy off the snap. He's bear hugged from behind and pulled over to the side.
Watch what happens to Brockers who spins out of the double team. He's horse-collared to the ground.

Oh, but a flag is down, surely they saw one of these things. Nope, holding on the RAMS. Holding on QUINN, nonetheless, that he was holding Joe Staley!!!! (r u F'ing kidding me?!?).

There are the usual holding calls that the 49ers get away with and the Rams don't, like when they have their outside arm all the way across the front of the Ram player's chest as he's running by. But those non-calls were just insane. 3 of them. On the same critical play. Of course, that holding call on QUINN was absolutely necessary, because if the Kaep pass was not completed, they needed some way to give the 49ers a first down.

Seriously, what can this be if NOT a conspiracy?!?

Sometimes I think I'm rooting for the Washington Generals, but the little kids just won't go home happy unless the Globetrotters win.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The refs have been bad across the whole league this year. Its like they're prima donnas who want to make sure their impact is seen. And certain teams will screwed on a regular. Rams are one of those teams.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Watch the Kaep TD pass to Boldin at 14-10, first drive of the 3rd quarter. Critical 3rd down play.

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000410690/Colin-Kaepernick-11-yard-touchdown-pass-to-Anquan-Boldin

Watch what happens to Quinn at the bottom of the screen. He's literally spun around and to the ground.
Watch what happens to Donald who beats his guy off the snap. He's bear hugged from behind and pulled over to the side.
Watch what happens to Brockers who spins out of the double team. He's horse-collared to the ground.

Oh, but a flag is down, surely they saw one of these things. Nope, holding on the RAMS. Holding on QUINN, nonetheless, that he was holding Joe Staley!!!! (r u F'ing kidding me?!?).

There are the usual holding calls that the 49ers get away with and the Rams don't, like when they have their outside arm all the way across the front of the Ram player's chest as he's running by. But those non-calls were just insane. 3 of them. On the same critical play. Of course, that holding call on QUINN was absolutely necessary, because if the Kaep pass was not completed, they needed some way to give the 49ers a first down.

Sometimes I think I'm rooting for the Washington Generals, but the little kids just won't go home happy unless the Globetrotters win.
Agreed! Watching that play last night I told my girl "no worries, they called the holding against Donald" because it was the most obvious. I was PISSED when they announced the call. Almost made the rest of the game unwatchable. And, after watching the replays I, too, saw the other penalties you outlined. Sickening. :palm:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

There was some seriously questionable stuff going on there, but none more baffling than Jenkins giving Boldin a 3 yard cushion in the ENDZONE.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There was some seriously questionable stuff going on there, but none more baffling than Jenkins giving Boldin a 3 yard cushion in the ENDZONE.

It's the only way to avoid PI calls my man.