O line backups?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I hope your right on this one only time will tell but they need to get some more help for the OL in April, if Bradberry is there at 31 they can't pass on him.

I am sure he is one of the short listers at 31. But he still might not be BPA even if he is there. Plus once again there are a ton of interior types this year.

IMO just take the top guy on your board. If it is a QB or 3T trade down.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
It's been rehashed a thousand times but Browns release was two fold. First was cap implications we needed space when we traded for Fowler. Brown was a backup the other possible cuts were starters so that was a simple and easy solution. Second was as we've seen already this off season and last year the coaching staff feels Noteboom is and would be better than Brown. Add in we had Demby, or could get him back along with Neary and cutting Brown makes all the sense in the world.

Interesting take on DF trade for releasing Brown. When did Whitworth restructure ? For Aaron Donald ? I get the release & trades. Good football decisions.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
........Young offensive lineman take time to develop.
..... Of all the NFL positions exception of QB, the OL'ers do take a much longer time to get there on field performance up to a standard where they are not causing problems on every snap. I just believe these five OL posts require a special type athlete with well working quick working brains & the right temperament. It takes many seasons to master them. It sure seems that these very large strong men suffer more injuries than any other unit year after year. I can not recall any other time in Ram history where our starting OL has experience such great health as it did 2017/2018 & ran into even 2019. IMO if you have little cap cash available to spend on vacant open positions all over your roster it's best it be on a veteran healthy OL'er first.
I’m not a big fan of Austin Blythe as a starting RG. I believe he helped to the Super Bowl loss. Watch the last 5 games. He was not impressive at all. The Rams need an upgrade & Noteboom should have been starting. Will see what happens in 2019?
I would agree with you fully that #66 had his weakest 2018 performance during the SB. I also believe that John Sullivan's was much worse & was in total collapse. That why he was released in spite of what he had done for this team during the 2017/2018 seasons. Sullivan time as a starting OC has come to an end. Blythe is just getting started in the NFL as a starter. Blythe is 11 yrs younger than our starting LT. Should we remember that Blythe completed his first season as a starter? I do not have any issues with Blythe & very happy he is a Ram.(y)
Yeah - Inthink He is on the lighter side. I actually like him at Center, but there are some around here that think the opposite.
I also like Blythe as a center. I do think this is the best position for his talents & skills with Kromer's Classic Zone Running Scheme. You are also on probably right about Blythe being too light to be his best playing RG. OC/LG would better fit. Blythe still might still replace Sullivan as our starting center.
Will see about demby as well. He is going into his 2nd year with Kromer. I think he has a little Nasty to him, which I like. He foot work & Knowledge will be key. Think it goes foot & foot sort of say.
Jamil Demby has taken a little beating in this forum. There is some merit that members never warmed up to Jamil. I might be one of his few supporters here that has the expectation of good improvement from Jamil in his 2nd season.

Snead has been making comments for several years how he likes to draft OT's with the intentions of working them early inside for a few seasons before moving them to the edge. Jamil fits his past comments. Noteboom looks like another example too.

Jamil was a 4 yr starter at left tackle from a small school. Jamil failed to show NFL-caliber athleticism at the Combine. If Jamil has done what is expected since this past fall where he has got stronger & worked on his skills. Jamil should show us the improvement in moving of his feet, more explosive at the point & more effective with his hands.

Jamil caught Snead & Kromers attention in the Senior Bowl playing LT as a replacement & I am sure he liked a lot of the skills that Jamil had when he was drafted .... like when he makes proper use of angles, keeps his feet moving throughout the action. Jamil stays square. Effective as a position blocker who can seal opponents from the action with his massive size too. I expect Jamil Demby to be an effective top swing OG reserve this season.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jamil was a 4 yr starter at left tackle from a small school. Jamil failed to show NFL-caliber athleticism at the Combine. If Jamil has done what is expected since this past fall where he has got stronger & worked on his skills. Jamil should show us the improvement in moving of his feet, more explosive at the point & more effective with his hands.

I think he's just not a guy who will ever fit for our scheme, doesn't have the feet or technique. Fans tend to overfocus on size of OL I think, but it's much more than that. Whit for example demonstrates the importance of that technique, and we're going to see a lot more tackles taking on what he's been doing, i.e. more cardio and mobility type stuff in the offseason vice pumping weights and putting on muscle weight.

You get 5 dudes in the ZBS all playing on the same page with good feet & technique you have a run game that is extremely difficult to stop. They don't have to be bruisers, far from it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Offensive line is not something you want to neglect. Not incredibly confident that Notebloom and Allen can plug in and give us the consistency or dominance we had last season. We must have our eyes on someone who can give us a smoother transition.
Yeah.
I want C and LG earned.
Some competition there would be welcome

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
..... Of all the NFL positions exception of QB, the OL'ers do take a much longer time to get there on field performance up to a standard where they are not causing problems on every snap. I just believe these five OL posts require a special type athlete with well working quick working brains & the right temperament. It takes many seasons to master them. It sure seems that these very large strong men suffer more injuries than any other unit year after year. I can not recall any other time in Ram history where our starting OL has experience such great health as it did 2017/2018 & ran into even 2019. IMO if you have little cap cash available to spend on vacant open positions all over your roster it's best it be on a veteran healthy OL'er first.
I would agree with you fully that #66 had his weakest 2018 performance during the SB. I also believe that John Sullivan's was much worse & was in total collapse. That why he was released in spite of what he had done for this team during the 2017/2018 seasons. Sullivan time as a starting OC has come to an end. Blythe is just getting started in the NFL as a starter. Blythe is 11 yrs younger than our starting LT. Should we remember that Blythe completed his first season as a starter? I do not have any issues with Blythe & very happy he is a Ram.(y)
I also like Blythe as a center. I do think this is the best position for his talents & skills with Kromer's Classic Zone Running Scheme. You are also on probably right about Blythe being too light to be his best playing RG. OC/LG would better fit. Blythe still might still replace Sullivan as our starting center. Jamil Demby has taken a little beating in this forum. There is some merit that members never warmed up to Jamil. I might be one of his few supporters here that has the expectation of good improvement from Jamil in his 2nd season.

Snead has been making comments for several years how he likes to draft OT's with the intentions of working them early inside for a few seasons before moving them to the edge. Jamil fits his past comments. Noteboom looks like another example too.

Jamil caught Snead & Kromers attention in the Senior Bowl playing LT as a replacement & I am sure he liked a lot of the skills that Jamil had when he was drafted .... like when he makes proper use of angles, keeps his feet moving throughout the action. Jamil stays square. Effective as a position blocker who can seal opponents from the action with his massive size too. I expect Jamil Demby to be an effective top swing OG reserve this season.

Excellent breakdown, but I’m not sold on the youth. I think it needs a big time addition.

I believe in Kromer & know The Rams will fill
the offensive line well. They made it to the SuperBowl last season. There is no way without a addition they do it again.

Like you said you would spend some money on the O”line. The bookends are there right now. I know you were not even counting on Whitworths health this last season & moving forward.

Also I remember your take on Roger Saffold & thought he was done 2 years ago. Now he just signed a 4 year deal.

I’m in the mind set to wait and see.I still think a
DT is a must. Last bringing in Suh for a season was pretty awesome.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
I also like Blythe as a center. I do think this is the best position for his talents & skills with Kromer's Classic Zone Running Scheme. You are also on probably right about Blythe being too light to be his best playing RG. OC/LG would better fit. Blythe still might still replace Sullivan as our starting center. Jamil Demby has taken a little beating in this forum. There is some merit that members never warmed up to Jamil. I might be one of his few supporters here that has the expectation of good improvement from Jamil in his 2nd season.

Excellent breakdown, but I’m not sold on the youth. I think it needs a big time addition.

I believe in Kromer & know The Rams will fill
the offensive line well. They made it to the SuperBowl last season. There is no way without a addition they do it again.

Like you said you would spend some money on the O”line. The bookends are there right now. I know you were not even counting on Whitworths health this last season & moving forward.

Also I remember your take on Roger Saffold & thought he was done 2 years ago. Now he just signed a 4 year deal.

I’m in the mind set to wait and see.I still think a
DT is a must. Last season bringing in Suh for a season was pretty awesome.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Excellent breakdown, but I’m not sold on the youth. I think it needs a big time addition.I believe in Kromer & know The Rams will fil the offensive line well. They made it to the SuperBowl last season. There is no way without a addition they do it again.Like you said you would spend some money on the O”line. The bookends are there right now. I know you were not even counting on Whitworths health this last season & moving forward.Also I remember your take on Roger Saffold & thought he was done 2 years ago. Now he just signed a 4 year deal.I’m in the mind set to wait and see.I still think a DT is a must. Last bringing in Suh for a season was pretty awesome.
Thank You. We agree on the need for a interior DL'er (NT) being added either by Draft or during FA'cy. Rams might be able to afford the following: Tyler Davison, Danny Shelton or Earl Mitchell. I prefer adding Darius Philon & just pay the price.

Question for you on the comment "I’m not sold on the youth"...could you give me detail & some depth when you have the time?

I pulled up some of my past thoughts on LT Andrew Whitworth for you some before FA'cy more than 2 years ago:
Feb 20, 2017
If I had my fantasy pick it would be LT Andrew Whitworth. A short 2 yr contract to buy McVay time to get plans together for a new long term answer to protect Goff blind side.
Nov 2, 2017
It's my newer developing opinion the last several yrs that my Ram team would be better if they utilized & work on using salary cap on healthy veteran offensive OL'ers like Andrew Whitworth. Build & keep your OL stocked with well seasoned OT & centers & to a little lesser degree OG posts.
Nov 15, 2017
With a great team player like Andrew, it would be foolish not to provide him a young highly talent clone of himself to groom as his eventual replacement when he retires. I would even have him highly involved with this selection in the upcoming 2018 draft. Kromer & Whitworth would have a BIG say in this prospect IMO.

Now on Saffold, I would thinking & planning on getting him signed in an extension for 2 to 3 seasons before his contract concludes. The only thing that is negative on RS is & was his bad injury history. Talent & smart wise, he is as good as there is today. RS has a history of losing & bad teams under his belt & I am sure while entering the prime of his NFL career for an OL'er (30 yrs old) he knows now what it takes to win & what it feel like to loose for long periods of time....lets keep him here to guide & share such knowledge with our future new young Ram OL'ers.
Dec.2017
I still strongly suggest that Snead/McVay/Kromer get a future starting LT prospect in here in 2018 & not delay. Many here have the opinion we can pass on this ideal but that a big BIG mistake. It takes many seasons for a OL to get up to par with the NFL more than any other NFL units...while AW is still healthy & here grooming with AW is the perfect scenario to slowly work the passing of the Guard element.
Dec 4, 2017
Want to cease up this Ram offense in 2018? Ignore the OL the Rams will pay a serious costly price!
Jan 13, 2018
Prior to March Free Agency:
#1)- Starting NOW! before March Free Agency- {A.} Sigh LG/LT Rodger Saffold to a 3 yr extension contract. This prevents the OL Train-wreak coming next yr at this time when Rams will be dealing with 3 starting UFA OL's without contracts FA'cy Saffold's extension great insurance in preparing for LT Andrew Whitworth retirement or injury. Buys time to groom a new future starting LT prospect.
Jan 17, 2018
Look I believe that Whitworth will be our starting LT in 2018. I also think the Rams gave him a great contract to give him a great desire & reason to NOT to retire ( if healthy) in 2018. Whitworth is one of my favorite 2017 Rams! I :love: to have five more just like him & would want to clone him if we could.
Jan 28, 2018
Snead did come up with a excellent plan last year @ starting & reserve LT prospects. It was a huge success as far as the starting LT acquirement of veteran Andrew Whitworth. Yes, it came @ an enormous cost in terms of team assets but was well worth it IMO. Guess there's a lesson still to be learned here for me. Some pricey aging vets are worth it & do pan out.
Apr 3, 2018
I am on record of not favoring the selection of OL'ers with the first pick now, but while the aging well seasoned all pro LT Andrew Whitworth is here & playing he can have a serious impact on a coach-able young LT who has skills & talents close to what AW had physically.

While the immediate pay off will be absent unlike a dynamic Edge Rusher this season if a LT were to be selected but the five yr long term dividends stand to pay off greatly for Goff's future .....making a LT a possibility consideration. I like the trade down option if all the Edge Rushers are off the board or NT Payne but if the Rams are left with undesirables, picking a future LT is a very good ideal.

Reference Saffold where you said I thought he was done 2 yrs ago...below are some of my comments on Saffold from the last few years. It would seem that you may have been thinking of some other member?
Aug 21, 2017
I am sure that LG Rodger Saffold is the happiest he has been since becoming a Ram in 2010. Having LT Andrew Whitworth next to him in place of GRob???? Gives Rodger the opportunity to learn from one of the very best LTs in the NFL....Rodger can't help but get significantly better. Since Rodger's arrival who has he partnered with?
Nov 6, 2017
OLG Rodger Saffold- Not a UFA until 2019 but I would seek to keep him longer thus I would look to do an extension in 2018 for 3 additional seasons. Why? Name his replacement @ the moment? ....OK, you now understand my #1 reason. Now my 2nd reason Rams do not have bona fide starting capable LT reserve on this roster if something was to occur to Andrew Whitworth.
Nov 29, 2017:
"I like the idea of using our 2018 cap funds in getting extension contracts resigning 2019 UFA's OL'ers like Rodger Saffold & Rob Havenstein."
Dec 27, 2017
https://ramsondemand.com/threads/an...ext-offseason-moves.52431/page-4#post-1016511

Jan 13, 2018
I concentrated heavily on building the future Ram OL from previous starting OL'ers. I suggested that we secure both veteran center John Sullivan & veteran OG/LT Rodger Saffold for several yrs into the future......With the way, today's NCAA football teams run their offensives ....These college OL'ers predominately exit college ill-prepared for professional NFL. Very very few works in pro-style offenses that assist them for the next step. It takes years of development much like QB's to master the basic skills to line up & play effectively. By the time the coach gets the these drafted Ol'ers up to par, they are UFA's in 4 yrs with not many rewards having being paid in return to the team who did all the hard work & priceless investments in 1st or 2nd-day draft selections.
Feb 4, 2018
I would also suggest an extension of veteran OLG {2019 UFA} Rodger Saffold. Rodger was our best interior OL'er in 2017. He had his best season as a starter since 2010. RS finally had a good surrounding cast working with him. RS will be 30 when the season begins & could have 4 or 5 good seasons left in him.
Feb 22, 2018
I do place a higher priority on Havenstein & Saffold than Sullivan or Brown. If we utilize any draft selections on OL'er they best be OT's. It took us till the 3rd season to get a 2nd & 3rd round draft picks to play effectively in the OL .............I would also suggest an extension of veteran OLG {2019 UFA} Rodger Saffold. Rodger was our best interior OL'er in 2017. He had his best season as a starter since 2010. RS finally had a good surrounding cast working with him. RS will be 30 when the season begins & could have 4 or 5 good seasons left in him.
Apr 2, 2018
Snead's THREE best starting OL'ers in 2017 season, have been secured by signing them in Free agency. These three were well-seasoned starters in their past when he signed them. So he is 100% on securing starting OL'ers in FA'cy. Not a bad record in OL FA'cy.
July 30, 2018
I consider it highly Unlikely that RS will be resigned. Do we need RS back in our starting lineup??? No question on that. Yes!.......I'll conclude here saying that IMO nothing is more important than making it priority #1 to protect our franchised QB naturally that makes the OL top of my list as a Ram fan & #1 goal.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 03:40 PM
Noteboom, Allen poised to step up after departures of Saffold, Sullivan
yxqee8vl8lffkokpp7ky.jpg
Myles Simmons

With former Rams left guard Rodger Saffold signing with the Titans on Thursday, there are officially two positions to fill on Los Angeles’ starting offensive line.

Saffold in particular is a significant void, as he’s been a part of the Rams’ five up front since he was the No. 33 overall pick in the 2010 draft. The other is center, as Los Angeles declined to pick up John Sullivan's option for 2019.But change is a constant in the NFL, and Los Angeles is prepared to go into the offseason program with what would be two first-year starters in Joseph Noteboom and Brian Allen.

Noteboom and Allen were the Rams’ first two draft picks last year, starting in the third round. And with a season of practices under their belts — both were able to get in reps with the first-team offense when left tackle Andrew Whitworth and Sullivan received their veteran rest days — Noteboom and Allen should be ready to step up and excel.

“Here’s what we did last year in drafting Noteboom and Brian Allen — we did have a projection that at some point we’d have to groom them to become starters,” general manager Les Snead said this week. “The thing you hear about Joe is that he’s versatile, he could then fill in for Rodger. And then at the end of the day, you are still grooming him to maybe be a Whitworth replacement or heir apparent in time, but you still need to replenish that, right? So we will look around, let’s say, in the veteran market and scrutinize the draft like we did last year. Because then the goal would be to draft a younger player, let them develop, evolve for a year, and when their time comes [they can become starters].”

The Rams drafted Noteboom with the intention of him becoming the Rams’ next left tackle. But he does have the versatility to play inside on the offensive line at guard. Last year, for instance, run game coordinator/offensive line coach Aaron Kromer had Noteboom cross-training at guard during the offseason program and training camp. Now he should have the experience necessary to potentially start at left guard in 2019, with Allen stepping in at center to replace John Sullivan.

“I think when you do draft those two players, it is eventually with the anticipation that they can become and ascend into a starting role,” head coach Sean McVay said this week. “What you do feel good about is the way that we practice — specific to that left side of our line — Brian and Joe have gotten a lot of valuable reps, even though it might be in practice, that they wouldn’t have gotten otherwise because they are playing behind veteran players. I think seeing the way those guys practice, but then also them getting a lot more reps because of the way that we did it with John, with Rodger, and with Andrew, has enabled them to get a lot of work to where you feel like you’re at least projecting based on having a little bit more of a sample size [that they can start].

“A lot of that is outside of the games, but they played in a handful of games where you could see it, they got some good work in the preseason, and you guys know the confidence we have in Aaron Kromer’s ability to develop guys.”