O-Line analysis anyone?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Imperial

UDFA
Name
Imperial
I missed the game yesterday, but saw a tweet where Robinson was a healthy scratch (yet again). Would someone care to give an analysis on the o-line play? Thank you in advance!

Bruce2980

Starter
My 10 year old son could have let defenders run by him just as well as the Rams O-Line did yesterday. Traffic cones might have worked too, but who would have moved them when the LOS changed?

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Those remote control tackling dummies they used in training camp would be a better option.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I missed the game yesterday, but saw a tweet where Robinson was a healthy scratch (yet again). Would someone care to give an analysis on the o-line play? Thank you in advance!
Watched on replay this morning. OLine results looked the same to me. I think they need to tweak the coaches instead of sitting players...but obviously that can't happen yet.

I'm ready for this season to just be over. Next week could be an especially ugly result to cap off an incredibly disappointing season.

I'd like to see most of our OLine personnel back for 2017 except for maybe Saffold.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I refuse to believe the whole oline took such a gigantic step backwards from last year. At least some part of it has to be tied into the coaching/scheme

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We observed the best performance from one of the five OL posts. Left Tackle post yesterday was operated by Rodger Saffold for an entire game. Yep you heard me Saffold did not miss an offensive play due to an injury while playing OT. Seeing that the "Penalty Machine" was sat down (GRob) & then sent to his room inactive was a great Christmas eve gift.:santa:

The OL has performed far worse as an whole but as a Unit it failed once again. Right OT was a open gateway to Goff...odd how that got jammed up after UDFA rookie OT Pace Murphy entered the game after Havenstein was injured. LG Jamon Brown still has a soft cast on his left hand & usually does not use it.

The Fisher/Snead duo used seven draft selections in the last 3 drafts to procure the basis for this current OL.....there is a reason that Fisher was FIRED!

First rd. 2014 #2 overall OT Greg Robinson
Second rd. 2015 OT Rob Havenstein
Third rd. 2015 OG Jamon Brown
Fourth rd. 2015 OT/OG Andrew Donnal
Fifth rd.2016 OT Isaiah Battle
Sixth rd. 2015 OG Cody Wichmann
Seventh rd. 2014 OC Demetrius Rhaney

It does appear that our two best 2016 OL performers Saffold & Barnes was already here when Fisher arrived. The cure that Fisher prescribed to fix the OL ailment may have caused its death :death:in success this season.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The line just like everything else was bad. Simple as that. What else can you say?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
One word. "Unacceptable". When someone from the other team is there before Gurley to get the handoff form the QB, that's

UNACCEPTABLE!

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I think our handling of Robinson is pretty pathetic.

Robinson is not what we hoped for. But he has taken steps forward this year. Quite frankly, he has been among our best offensive lineman this season (which admittedly speaks volumes about how bad this unit has been). Barnes, Havenstein, Brown have all been complete and total disasters this campaign. They offer absolutely no resistance on any passing play against incoming defensive lineman. On run plays, they never get any push in the run game. At least Robinson makes himself useful from time to time.

Now, I know Barnes, Havenstein and Brown are playing through serious injuries. And I don't doubt that is hampering them. But injuries are part of the game. Robinson stays healthy, and that is a huge quality in his favor. With those guys limping around playing like shells of their former self, right now, I'd take Robinson out there over any of them.

To bench one of your better offensive lineman, when he is actually putting in work in the off-season while paying out of his own pocket for private coaching to get better, and when he is making progress.... is mind boggling. It makes no sense. And opting to make his first benching in front of his family in New Orleans? LOL. If I'm Robinson I'd spit on the Rams and bolt at the first chance.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
"Refrigerators with legs". Maybe we should've got "refrigerators with arms" so they could block.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Let's just say that the benching of GRob didn't exactly solve all of our OL woes. Lol.

I agree with yamahopper.

It's the coaching, dammit!

Zero

Pro Bowler
I think they need to tweak the coaches instead of sitting players...
With you Mojo.I truly believe some of these younger guys
have the talent neccesary. They just need the correct leadership
minus the day spa environment.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I think our handling of Robinson is pretty pathetic.

Robinson is not what we hoped for. But he has taken steps forward this year. Quite frankly, he has been among our best offensive lineman this season (which admittedly speaks volumes about how bad this unit has been). Barnes, Havenstein, Brown have all been complete and total disasters this campaign. They offer absolutely no resistance on any passing play against incoming defensive lineman. On run plays, they never get any push in the run game. At least Robinson makes himself useful from time to time.

Now, I know Barnes, Havenstein and Brown are playing through serious injuries. And I don't doubt that is hampering them. But injuries are part of the game. Robinson stays healthy, and that is a huge quality in his favor. With those guys limping around playing like shells of their former self, right now, I'd take Robinson out there over any of them.

To bench one of your better offensive lineman, when he is actually putting in work in the off-season while paying out of his own pocket for private coaching to get better, and when he is making progress.... is mind boggling. It makes no sense. And opting to make his first benching in front of his family in New Orleans? LOL. If I'm Robinson I'd spit on the Rams and bolt at the first chance.
There is something more to it.Fisher and Fassel have both benched him.
Whether it be a lack of effort or focus in practice ,Being late to meetings or
Missing assignments.Of course I am just speculating,I just have a feeling
the reasons why may be happening behind the scenes.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I didn't watch the game as close as the others...Yet...

But no real running game again...Not sure about pass pro...

Goff looked horrible anyway....Offense looked...Offensive...like they're not trying to score...
Champ you may not have watched the game closely, but you noticed all the important parts!!
The Rams did got a couple turnovers, and 4 sacks, and scored 21 points! But then again the 49ers matched us and score 22 points!
That's the game in a nutshell! "Sweeped by the 49ers!":puke:

FRO

Legend
I wonder how Robinson is during the week. There's a reason he gets singled out. He's not the only one playing poorly. I wonder if he isn't putting the work in during the week. With a bleak free agent market and draft class at OT, is Saffold the answer at LT going forward?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It does appear that our two best 2016 OL performers Saffold & Barnes was already here when Fisher arrived.

Respectfully, I disagree, Bonifay. Barnes is the worst player on the OL right now. He's been our worst OL this season. He's not athletic enough for the ZBS. And gets pushed around in pass protection.