Number 2 is there for the taking

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have no qualms with the way he called the game vs the Saints. Knew that was coming and Goff delivered.

The Arizona game and more importantly the defenses we'll see in the Eagles and Seahawks are what I'm referring to. I have the utmost respect for McVay, but I do think one of his weaknesses (and all play callers have them) is getting away from the run at times. And remember, the run blocking allows our OL to fire off on those defenders, which is very important as a mentality as well when you're in the trenches.

Oh and btw I'm sure McVay has already come to those conclusions. He's pretty damn good at the self analysis, which is one of the things that makes him so good.

The recent lack of running the ball is directly related to Malcolm Brown being injured. He is the only other back that can pick up blitzers. He also moves the chains when McVay is trying to chew up clock. He also is the main guy to spell Gurley. Without Brown McVey stated he is trying to save Gurley by not running the ball as much and keeping him fresh for pass blocking. We get Brown back and the running game should pick up.

TexasRam

Legend
Who would of thought we could be in this spot where if we win our our last 4 we have a first round bye and #2 seed. A few weeks ago it appeared Philly was unbeatable. Now they are on the ropes and we are coming off a big win vs the also previously "unstoppable" Saints.

The Tie breaker rules vs Philly for conference seeding will come down to this one game. Must win the game for #2 seed. If not we would have to win out our last 3 while Philly loses their last 3. Not happening.

BEST CASE SCENARIO: Win out and get #2 seed.
2nd BEST SCENARIO: Beat Philly and lose another game (Not Seattle) but Philly also loses again, giving us the #2 seed due to head to head over New Orleans, and Tie breaker vs Philly.

The Tie breaker rules vs Seattle gets interesting:

If we lose to Seattle there is no tiebreaker, we have to have a better overall record. Which still could happen if we lost to the Eagles and Seattle but beat Ten and 9ers while Seattle loses to Jags and Cowboys. We would end 11-5 and Seattle 10-6.

If we beat Seattle and ended with the same record the tiebreaker would go as follows:
1 Head to head - even
2 Division record -probably will be even as both Seattle and Rams wont lose to 9ers or Zona.
3 Best won loss record In common games. This is where it gets interesting. The only difference right now is Seattle lost to Tennessee and beat Philly and we still have to play both teams. Seattle also still has to play the Cowboys and Jags both teams that we have beaten.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who would of thought we could be in this spot where if we win our our last 4 we have a first round bye and #2 seed. A few weeks ago it appeared Philly was unbeatable. Now they are on the ropes and we are coming off a big win vs the also previously "unstoppable" Saints.

The Tie breaker rules vs Philly for conference seeding will come down to this one game. Must win the game for #2 seed. If not we would have to win out our last 3 while Philly loses their last 3. Not happening.

BEST CASE SCENARIO: Win out and get #2 seed.
2nd BEST SCENARIO: Beat Philly and lose another game (Not Seattle) but Philly also loses again, giving us the #2 seed due to head to head over New Orleans, and Tie breaker vs Philly.

The Tie breaker rules vs Seattle gets interesting:

If we lose to Seattle there is no tiebreaker, we have to have a better overall record. Which still could happen if we lost to the Eagles and Seattle but beat Ten and 9ers while Seattle loses to Jags and Cowboys. We would end 11-5 and Seattle 10-6.

If we beat Seattle and ended with the same record the tiebreaker would go as follows:
1 Head to head - even
2 Division record -probably will be even as both Seattle and Rams wont lose to 9ers or Zona.
3 Best won loss record In common games. This is where it gets interesting. The only difference right now is Seattle lost to Tennessee and beat Philly and we still have to play both teams. Seattle also still has to play the Cowboys and Jags both teams that we have beaten.

Isn't it conference record after division record?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I want the rams to play their best football the next 2 weeks and show everyone who is boss in the nfc.

I feel like they will because they were almost cruising against the cards.

You better believe mcvay wants the nfl to see who the rams are and how good they are right now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
:poop::sneak:

#2 is there for the taking

The title reminded me of Austin Powers as he was fighting in the bathroom stall - "Who does number 2 work for?" While the guy in the bathroom was listening and cheering him on to take control of his crap

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
The title reminded me of Austin Powers as he was fighting in the bathroom stall - "Who does number 2 work for?" While the guy in the bathroom was listening and cheering him on to take control of his crap
Can't stop laughing. Was getting into this thread, then.... poop jokes. LOL

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I want the rams to play their best football the next 2 weeks and show everyone who is boss in the nfc.

I feel like they will because they were almost cruising against the cards.

You better believe mcvay wants the nfl to see who the rams are and how good they are right now.

That would be nice. I think getting to the Super Bowl from a wildcard this year is gonna be really tough to do in the NFC, so even if it's just winning the division and hosting the wildcard game it's a big deal avoiding a trip to, say, Seattle or New Orleans.

But tbh all I really care about is that we get IN. I just want to see a Rams playoff game man. I'm honestly so damn jacked about this team that even if/when they get eliminated I'm still gonna be proud of what they did this year and a happy fan.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The recent lack of running the ball is directly related to Malcolm Brown being injured. He is the only other back that can pick up blitzers. He also moves the chains when McVay is trying to chew up clock. He also is the main guy to spell Gurley. Without Brown McVey stated he is trying to save Gurley by not running the ball as much and keeping him fresh for pass blocking. We get Brown back and the running game should pick up.

Good point. I definitely agree that Brown was an underrated loss. They need him back.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First and foremost, win your division. Then win your conference. I don't know why people have this backwards.
True, but our next game is against a conference rival, and so the Eagles are next on the hit list, not Seattle. It doesn't matter, we have to win two games at least have a Wild Card. Win three and we probably win the division.

A55VA6

Legend
#2 seed is for the taking and just to mention, a very very small chance we clinch a playoff spot this week.

We clinch a playoff spot with a win + DET Loss + GB Loss + DAL Loss + CAR Loss + ATL Loss. Like I said, very small chance that happens but it's a possible scenario.

Stump23

Rookie
If Minnesota loses 2 of their next 4 (Carolina/GB?), we win out and Philly goes 3-1, doesn't that give us a shot at #1 seed or do our NFC losses kill that?

Montanaramfan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would assume we'd be #1 in that case. Minnesota would have one more loss and we have the head-to-head over Philly. That's our best case scenario.

Scirca

Rookie
Let me put it this way, If Jared Goff outduels Wentz, and makes him look bad, like Josh Rosen did to Sam Darnold, then there is a very good chance that Goff could end up an NFL MVP. He would have to be impressive against the Seahawks also, which will then make him the MVP favorite over Brady. Not only is the first round bye on the table, but also the NFL MVP award. If Goff wins out, and the Rams go 13-3 and Goff has 33 tds to 6int 4,000+ yards. How does he not get the MVP?

Last edited:

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Obviously, winning the #1 or #2 seed is very important because you are automatically in the second round of the playoffs with a bye week to boot. But aside from that, the game with the sea chickens is key for winning the NFC West.
The Rams could win out and be the #2 or #1 seed, but we can only control our own destiny. That said, I think if we can get past Philly this week, we have a good chance of securing the NFC West.

She-attle won't be easy but how sustainable is it for Russell Wilson to keep accounting for 80% of the team's offense and 95% of their TD's? The Rams defense was built to compete with the sea hags, which is why they were one of the few teams we could beat under Jeff Fisher. The team speed was able to keep Russell Wilson in check and that's key to winning the game and likely, the NFC West.

Tennessee is 8-4 but somehow, their offense doesn't strike fear in me. The whiners were just damn lucky they were in in the first game with the Rams. (Turnover led to TD, fumble on ensuing kickoff led to TD and then they recovered the inside kick)

I think it's possible for Rams to run the table and lock up the NFC West and the #2 seed.