Now that the "Big 3 Release" dust has kinda settled...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shoman01

Rookie
The Ram had an excellent front four with Quinn playing hurt and not up to par and played great when he was out. Same with Long. Back surgery can be tricky and there is a chance Quinn will never be quite the same. Quinn is outstanding, but I think people tend to project his 19 sack year a couple of years ago to what he will bring every year and that's just unreasonable.

The front 4 was kicking ass wihtout either of those guys. I'm not saying not to draft a DE on either side but if they don't IMO it won't hurt the D much at all.

I agree, I don't think Quinn will ever be able to perform like he did 2 seasons ago, plus he is 2 years older. It might not be a bad idea to cut him or restructure his contract as I believe he is to make 15 million this season. That is way too much for what I think will be a 10 sack 50 tackle season if he is healthy enough to play all 16 games.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I agree, I don't think Quinn will ever be able to perform like he did 2 seasons ago, plus he is 2 years older. It might not be a bad idea to cut him or restructure his contract as I believe he is to make 15 million this season. That is way too much for what I think will be a 10 sack 50 tackle season if he is healthy enough to play all 16 games.
With all due respect....
200.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes, DeBartolo's mob money was arguably the biggest factor. Half the roster was ex-Chargers and ex-Rams that were cajoled into holding out and going to the 49ers, despite there being no free agency for any other team. The other arguable top factor was the rules changes that allowed the dink pass to rule the NFL (no coincidence the Bengals also made the 1981 Super Bowl with little talent but running the same gimmick offense). The Rams of that day had admirable success despite the uneven playing field (and of course no QB as usual).

Here's the World Series tv ratings over time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_television_ratings

Yankees are sometimes a peak, but not consistently #1, so I don't think "rooting against the Yankees" was a big factor for most baseball fans. I tend to think Steinbrenner's antics turned off more fans than he attracted. Of course, probably not much can be taken out of raw ratings numbers except recently that the Giants were bad for baseball (as I think the one thing we can all agree on is everything SF sucks).

Well like I said the Yankees are the biggest draw in baseball. When they come to town stadiums are packed and ticket prices are at a premium. If you don't love them, you hate them, or so it seems. When the World Series has the Yankees and anybody else there is more nation wide interest. If the World series had the Brewers and the Orioles, then much of the country couldn't care less.

Shoman01

Rookie
With all due respect....
200.gif
Maybe, we will see what his numbers are. He has a 11 million dollar cap hit. That is the 5th highest in the league. With Donald on the same line, Quinn should be putting up over 15 sacks and 75 tackles per year to justify that expense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Maybe, we will see what his numbers are. He has a 11 million dollar cap hit. That is the 5th highest in the league. With Donald on the same line, Quinn should be putting up over 15 sacks and 75 tackles per year to justify that expense.
Why do you say that? The highest paid DE in the league (Mario Williams) averages 9.6 sacks and 37 tackles a year. The 2nd highest (Campbell) averages 6 sacks and 30 tackles. The third highest (Johnson) averages 8 sacks and 26 tackles. Only J.J. Watt comes close to the numbers you're projecting, and he's already paid more than Quinn. Those two (Watt and Quinn) are always mentioned in the same breath at the end of the year, and it's not solely based on their numbers. A big part of it is due to their ability to harass opposing QBs. Sacks, pressures, hits, knock-downs, they're all important. And Quinn routinely provides those things. Top 5 QBs and top 5 DEs ... they all get the lion's share of the money at those positions.

Shoman01

Rookie
Why do you say that? The highest paid DE in the league (Mario Williams) averages 9.6 sacks and 37 tackles a year. The 2nd highest (Campbell) averages 6 sacks and 30 tackles. The third highest (Johnson) averages 8 sacks and 26 tackles. Only J.J. Watt comes close to the numbers you're projecting, and he's already paid more than Quinn. Those two (Watt and Quinn) are always mentioned in the same breath at the end of the year, and it's not solely based on their numbers. A big part of it is due to their ability to harass opposing QBs. Sacks, pressures, hits, knock-downs, they're all important. And Quinn routinely provides those things. Top 5 QBs and top 5 DEs ... they all get the lion's share of the money at those positions.
Those guys don't have Donald blowing up the middle of the line, I would expect a top tier defensive end to have astronomical numbers playing next to the best defensive tackle in the league.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Those guys don't have Donald blowing up the middle of the line, I would expect a top tier defensive end to have astronomical numbers playing next to the best defensive tackle in the league.
Maybe Donald is the best DT in the league because he's playing next to the best DE in the league.

shocked-will-smith.gif

Shoman01

Rookie
Maybe Donald is the best DT in the league because he's playing next to the best DE in the league.

shocked-will-smith.gif
Quinn missed most of last season, and was ineffective when he did play. last year, 8 games, 5 sacks, 13 tackles, 8 assists,....$16,744111.00. Don't you agree that's way too much money for those kinds of numbers. Donald had a monster season with Quinn gone for half of it and not being effective when he did play.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Quinn missed most of last season, and was ineffective when he did play. last year, 8 games, 5 sacks, 13 tackles, 8 assists,....$16,744111.00. Don't you agree that's way too much money for those kinds of numbers. Donald had a monster season with Quinn gone for half of it and not being effective when he did play.
Clearly I'm just playing around. But no, I don't agree that's too much money for Quinn. He's easily a top 5 DE, and that's what those cost. You can't adjust a player's salary based on being injured for one year, because then you'd have to adjust it again if/when he returns to health and puts up Pro-Bowl numbers.

Shoman01

Rookie
Clearly I'm just playing around. But no, I don't agree that's too much money for Quinn. He's easily a top 5 DE, and that's what those cost. You can't adjust a player's salary based on being injured for one year, because then you'd have to adjust it again if/when he returns to health and puts up Pro-Bowl numbers.
Hopefully he can get back to where he was, back injury's are tough.

jap

Legend

What's the point of saying this? The Mighty One did not have Aaron when he collected nearly 20 sacks a few years ago. DEs are paid for their complete game---not just sacks.

Shoman01

Rookie
What's the point of saying this? The Mighty One did not have Aaron when he collected nearly 20 sacks a few years ago. DEs are paid for their complete game---not just sacks.
That was a few years ago, no business should overpay current employee's for past performance. He is not the same player now due to age and injuries. Is it coincidence that he had his 19 sack season in his contract year, and now he may not be as motivated?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He is not the same player now due to age and injuries.

Quinn is 25.

We don't know much about his injury, other than the Rams do not seem to be concerned. That's all I need to know.

Quinn is a stud DE.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That was a few years ago, no business should overpay current employee's for past performance. He is not the same player now due to age and injuries. Is it coincidence that he had his 19 sack season in his contract year, and now he may not be as motivated?
So we shouldn't pay him big money based on his past performances (which were statistically top in the league), but we should consider not paying him as much based on what he might not be in the future? That line of thinking makes very little sense to me.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Madness! Did you catch rabies? Mad cow disease? :shocked: