Now Frank Tarkenton is calling for a lifetime ban of GW

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
From Sando's article today.

"Football is a tough, physical game," Tarkenton wrote. "It is violent. But there is a line between being violent and being vicious. Williams crossed that line when he established a bounty system that rewarded players -- not for tough, clean football plays but for injuring other players."

Tarkenton makes strong points in explaining why the Saints' bad intentions crossed an ethical line. He also took offense to the hit Williams' Washington Redskins put on Peyton Manning years earlier.

"It was one of the worst hits I have ever seen, as one player tackles him low from the side, before another hits him high head-on, bending him backwards and ripping his helmet off in the process," Tarkenton wrote.

Tarkenton concludes by calling for the lifetime ban.

"The NFL has to come down hard on this scandal because every team, coach and player needs to get the message that this is not OK," he wrote. "Gregg Williams should never be seen in the NFL again."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Here's that hit. I downloaded it from NFL.com and uploaded it to YouTube.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voBRarCF9Xk[/youtube]

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The more blatant attacks we see like this on William, as the Mob continues to grow and grow, the more convinced I am that something is being hidden or our attention is being deliberately diverted from something or some other persons.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Not gonna lie, that pisses me off, I don't want the Rams to be playing ball like that, and if thats the case can GW NOW! :amped:

boondock

UDFA
Yeah, I'm thinking sever ties with him ASAP. Get someone else in here, get a system in place and move past this crap, we don't need it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here are the hits on Favre and Warner that everyone is talking about. I uploaded them to YouTube.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhTe2A_d6KY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDImZ_F8czk[/youtube]

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
While I agree the intent to end a players career is wrong, I just dont see where there was anything wrong on any of those 3 videos. I mean as a Dlineman are you supposed to go easy because the OL cant block you? Shouldnt Favre be ticked at his RT for shoving McRary at his legs? And didnt Warner know that the first player blocked on an interception is always the QB? Due to the fact that no one was crying foul about any of these hits before the whole "bountygate" was brought up I would have to say that this whole thing is just a witch hunt.
And why is GW the main target in all this? He admitted he didnt stop the pay for performance, he never said he started the thing, and if SP and the saints GM were both aware of it wouldnt they be more responsible than GW? Afterall SP is the HC and everything that happens on the field is his responsibility. I realize that with Washington and Buffalo both being brought up it does look bad for GW but how many other teams had similar incentive programs? Im sure teams coached by GW were not the only ones doing this.
Hasnt it always been the key on D to stop the other teams best player on O from beating you? And if it is done within the rules of the game what is all the fuss? If players were constantly being flagged/fined for over the top hits that would be one thing but it seems to me J Harrison of Pittsburgh was fined more himself than the entire Saints D over the same time frame so maybe Pittsburghs DC should be the poster child of this witch hunt?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d81466d1d/Kurt-Warner-injury

O.J. Atogwe sticking Warners head in the turf in 09 concussing him.
Don't think we were running a bounty program and I don't recall and fines or suspensions on O.J for this hit. If there was please correct me.

Since every play is reviewed at the league office were the above hits on Warner and Favre ruled illegal? If not it's just football. If they were illegal hits the players should have faced punishment.

My favorite Fran Tarkenton memory is when Deacon Jones horse collared his scrawny butt and flung him a good 5 yards in the air. Fran just laid where the Deacon put him for awhile.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Oh... and fuck Fran Tarkenton too. Honestly, I have heard him speak on topics before and my eyes just glazed over. I'm sure they can find a million dipshits out there that would publicly call for Williams head on a platter. Tarkenton probably just happened to be calling every sports program and publication in the country to get 15 more minutes.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
RamFan503 said:
Oh... and fuck Fran Tarkenton too. Honestly, I have heard him speak on topics before and my eyes just glazed over. I'm sure they can find a million dipshits out there that would publicly call for Williams head on a platter. Tarkenton probably just happened to be calling every sports program and publication in the country to get 15 more minutes.
Yes, Tark is an ass

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Re:

interference said:
RamFan503 said:
Yes, Tark is an ass

Thank you.

I always hated the guy for what the lesser team - the Vikings - ended up doing to us but several years ago I heard him speak and it did nothing but amplify my distaste for this douchebag. Since that time he has spoken out several times and all I could think of was - did they search him out for this POV? What a dick.

Just my opinion of the guy - nothing else. But let's just say, his opinion would do nothing to sway mine except for maybe pushing it the other way.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
RamFan503 said:

Tarkenton is getting crankier by the year -- it won't be long before he's even more crotchety and bitter than Chuck Bednarik.