Now Boarding Rams Offensive Line Hype Train

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Now Boarding The Hype Train For The Los Angeles Rams’ Offensive Line
0 New, 40comments
There’s a lot to be excited regarding the new look offense for the LA Rams. Considering how far they’ve come, it’s time to give the O-line some much deserved love.
by joeyaucoin Oct 24, 2017, 2:24pm CDT

tweet
usa_today_10280978.0.jpg
Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports

What exactly is the “hype train?” Well, it’s my way of shining a light on players, coaches, or aspects of the team that deserve more credit. This week’s new passenger on the hype train? The offensive line.

So, let’s start out with the stats to put things in perspective. The Los Angeles Rams are averaging 30.3 points a game, which is 1st in the NFL. They’re also averaging 4.2 yards per carry as opposed to an embarrassing 3.3. yards in 2016. RB Todd Gurley has logged 4 games with over 100 yards, something that happened zero times last year. And how about pass protection? Well, they gave up 49 sacks last year. Seriously. 49. And 26 sacks during Goff’s seven starts in his rookie season. Jared Goff has been sacked 10 times through seven games this year.

Ok, so the O-line has improved. Great. However, what’s interesting to me is that the the organization only added two new pieces to the starting five -- LT Andrew Whitworth and C John Sullivan. Those two pieces, compounded with the departure of NFL draft bust LT Greg Robinson, were instrumental in the re-invention of the offensive line. But was it enough? I think what’s not getting reported on is how the coaching staff has handled the other three positions. Specifically, RG Jamon Brown.

I’ll admit that I’m a fan of RG Jamon Brown. It’s probably because he’s been an underdog since he joined the Rams organization. Even in the preseason, which was only a couple of months ago, Brown struggled mightily to get enough leverage to play the position properly and it looked like the decision to not draft an offensive linemen was going to be a huge mistake. However, Coach Aaron Kromer accepted the task of coaching these guys up, changing their positions, and basically made it work.

Here is what Pro Football Focus says about Jamon Brown’s productivity in the past couple of games:

For the second week in a row, right guard Jamon Brown did not surrender a single quarterback pressure on, this time on 39 pass blocking snaps and finished Sunday's game with the highest pass blocking grade on the line with an 86.3. Brown's 77.5 overall grade for the game is the highest grade earned in the 2017 season and 16th best among guards through Sunday's games. After leading the league in QB pressures allowed through the first five weeks of the season with 19, Brown has now gone two straight games without allowing a single pressure on 64 pass blocking snaps. Brown is one of only three guards out of 41 eligible to have not allowed a quarterback pressure over the last two weeks and holds a 100.0 pass blocking efficiency.

What stands out to me is that the Rams coaching staff took a player that was basically a backup tackle or guard and made him into a dependable starter that’s playing at a peak level.

Again, the coaching on this team is outstanding. Kromer has these guys playing beyond their talent level, which really exciting. They’re buying in.

But let’s not just focus entirely on Brown because this whole reason why this unit is successful right now is that they’re a unit. They enter the field together. And Andrew Whitworth has taken the role of the wise leader that is mentoring these guys on how to play the right way. He’s made Rodger Saffold and Rob Havenstein play up to his level (as much as they can) and it’s been absolutely incredible when you think about how this O-line was playing last year.

This is why I love football and more to the point, the 2017 Los Angeles Rams. The offensive line doesn’t look like a top tier unit on paper, but because of their coaching, their camaraderie, and their passion to be great... they have exceeded expectations.

So, yeah... Todd Gurley, Jared Goff, and the receivers will get a lot of the credit, but Coach Kromer’s guys are going to be a huge part of the Rams’ success going forward.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry. Didn't see it. Good article.
Oh no sorry that wasn't in regards to your article at all! I was referring to the pic I posted! Your'e good on the article brother sorry I didn't phrase that well.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
not to take anything away from the players, but I think Kromer deserves as much if not more credit than anyone for the turnaround. he is seriously a magician

fearsomefour

Legend
Very excited to see what has happened with our line. Brown (and I say this as a critic of his) has certainly improved. Struggled in pass even as late as two weeks ago....despite what the article says remember him getting beat here and there vs Jacksonville....the ball was out quickly though. He has improved in the run game. Much better at getting some leverage and sustaining his block. Even getting to the second level several times.
Nearly as exciting to me has been the very solid play of Blythe when called upon at C. Whitworth has been as advertised. Sullivan has been better than expected. Blythe has been a bonus. A potential long term player at the lines second most important position. No lineman is going to be perfect and there will be sacks here and there, but, the improvement as a unit has been profound.
I am still drafting a LT and an interior lineman this draft however. Although, the improvement and particularly the improvement of young players (Brown, Havenstein, Blythe) allow the Rams to draft (outside of the first round) the way championship teams draft. Not in a panic to find a week 1 starter immediately, but, to plan for the future and develop long term talent and depth.
As someone who has probably typed thousands of words about the lines shortcomings over the years
I could not be more impressed with the lineman or
Kromer.
A+++

TexasRam

Legend
this made me lol. so funny. "dang it. where did jared go again?!?"

Lol. Yea you should go back and watch the game if you DVR’d it. The pic shows the time it took place in the game. I had to rewind it like 4 times because I was falling off my chair laughing. These knucklehead lineman all at the same time sloooowly turn their head to alll watch Jared throw the ball as they are all standing forward so as to not tip off where the ball is supposedly. It’s like they are fans too and want to see Goff throw one. It was obviously a play action rollout and they had already sold their act.

Another hilarious spot in the game is when Goff runs for the TD and Darrell Williams coming out for the PAT gives Jared a little index finger knuckle to Jared fist bump. It was like Williams was saying “I knew you could do it little buddy”.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
*ding ding* tickets please!

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I tried to get on but there was 5 big bastards blocking me

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The offensive line doesn’t look like a top tier unit on paper, but because of their coaching, their camaraderie, and their passion to be great... they have exceeded expectations.

This is what's beautiful, they all work well as a unit, which is what's needed.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Since our O line degraded circa 2004, I've been obsessed with the O line more than any other part of the team.

Watching running backs struggle and particularly quarterbacks that had a lot of potential to be good, get creamed.

I was a big Jeff Fisher fan when we hired him because I thought he was being held back there in Tennessee.

Unfortunately it didn't take me long to realize Fisher wasn't going to make it when I saw how he was attempting to build an offensive line.

Pitching starters even if it was just a Jason Brown and a Jacob Bell for a Quinn Ojannaka and a Scott Wells was immediately heading in the wrong direction.

Scrap heap players and small breaking down veterans without any depth behind them was a doomed plan.

Picking a project in Quick when you really needed a guard or a tackle was like watching the sinking of the Titanic.

Then the desperation set in with picking up guys like Jake Long and Devon Joseph.

However I knew I just had to ride it out because there's no way I'm ever going to be anything except a lifelong Rams fan.
I'm not going to lie and say it wasn't very painful though. :D

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
not to take anything away from the players, but I think Kromer deserves as much if not more credit than anyone for the turnaround. he is seriously a magician

This^ and many of us were sure glad Kromer was available because he's one of the best in the NFL....Assistant Coach of the Year.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...of-the-week-dallas-cowboys-flex-muscles-again

NFL.com's Offensive Line of the Week
4) Los Angeles Rams: The Rams simply beat up on the Cardinals in London. Beyond the 33-0 score, Los Angeles outgained Arizona 425 to 193 in total yards and held the ball for a whopping 18 more minutes. How does 13 for 19 (68 percent) on third down sound?

The Rams' offensive line consistently blew open holes in the ground game, as L.A. fell just 3 yards short of 200. Meanwhile, Jared Goff was sacked once and hit once -- solid protection of the second-year signal caller.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Now Boarding The Hype Train For The Los Angeles Rams’ Offensive Line
0 New, 40comments
There’s a lot to be excited regarding the new look offense for the LA Rams. Considering how far they’ve come, it’s time to give the O-line some much deserved love.
by joeyaucoin Oct 24, 2017, 2:24pm CDT

tweet
usa_today_10280978.0.jpg
Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports

What exactly is the “hype train?” Well, it’s my way of shining a light on players, coaches, or aspects of the team that deserve more credit. This week’s new passenger on the hype train? The offensive line.

So, let’s start out with the stats to put things in perspective. The Los Angeles Rams are averaging 30.3 points a game, which is 1st in the NFL. They’re also averaging 4.2 yards per carry as opposed to an embarrassing 3.3. yards in 2016. RB Todd Gurley has logged 4 games with over 100 yards, something that happened zero times last year. And how about pass protection? Well, they gave up 49 sacks last year. Seriously. 49. And 26 sacks during Goff’s seven starts in his rookie season. Jared Goff has been sacked 10 times through seven games this year.

Ok, so the O-line has improved. Great. However, what’s interesting to me is that the the organization only added two new pieces to the starting five -- LT Andrew Whitworth and C John Sullivan. Those two pieces, compounded with the departure of NFL draft bust LT Greg Robinson, were instrumental in the re-invention of the offensive line. But was it enough? I think what’s not getting reported on is how the coaching staff has handled the other three positions. Specifically, RG Jamon Brown.

I’ll admit that I’m a fan of RG Jamon Brown. It’s probably because he’s been an underdog since he joined the Rams organization. Even in the preseason, which was only a couple of months ago, Brown struggled mightily to get enough leverage to play the position properly and it looked like the decision to not draft an offensive linemen was going to be a huge mistake. However, Coach Aaron Kromer accepted the task of coaching these guys up, changing their positions, and basically made it work.

Here is what Pro Football Focus says about Jamon Brown’s productivity in the past couple of games:

For the second week in a row, right guard Jamon Brown did not surrender a single quarterback pressure on, this time on 39 pass blocking snaps and finished Sunday's game with the highest pass blocking grade on the line with an 86.3. Brown's 77.5 overall grade for the game is the highest grade earned in the 2017 season and 16th best among guards through Sunday's games. After leading the league in QB pressures allowed through the first five weeks of the season with 19, Brown has now gone two straight games without allowing a single pressure on 64 pass blocking snaps. Brown is one of only three guards out of 41 eligible to have not allowed a quarterback pressure over the last two weeks and holds a 100.0 pass blocking efficiency.

What stands out to me is that the Rams coaching staff took a player that was basically a backup tackle or guard and made him into a dependable starter that’s playing at a peak level.

Again, the coaching on this team is outstanding. Kromer has these guys playing beyond their talent level, which really exciting. They’re buying in.

But let’s not just focus entirely on Brown because this whole reason why this unit is successful right now is that they’re a unit. They enter the field together. And Andrew Whitworth has taken the role of the wise leader that is mentoring these guys on how to play the right way. He’s made Rodger Saffold and Rob Havenstein play up to his level (as much as they can) and it’s been absolutely incredible when you think about how this O-line was playing last year.

This is why I love football and more to the point, the 2017 Los Angeles Rams. The offensive line doesn’t look like a top tier unit on paper, but because of their coaching, their camaraderie, and their passion to be great... they have exceeded expectations.

So, yeah... Todd Gurley, Jared Goff, and the receivers will get a lot of the credit, but Coach Kromer’s guys are going to be a huge part of the Rams’ success going forward.
It always starts Up-Front, in the Trenches, on both sides of the ball! "D-Line or O-Line" this is what makes a team! JMHO!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In pass blocking pressures for Brown earlier this season I think a lot of them were stunts too, which the line as a whole has improved greatly on. Things like that and A/B gap blitzes they've just shown enormous growth so yeah I give Kromer a lot of cred too, along with the players themselves.

That game vs the Vikes looms as a huge test for these guys. Zimmer is a b!#ch @$$ MFer, but by God he knows how to pressure A gaps and confuse blocking schemes. That's my litmus test game for what to expect come the playoffs in terms of estimating how the Rams will do.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
:burp: Yeah, well. He's no Coach Bou.