notes on slo-mo rewatch of first half of Niners game....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
It's hard of course to catch many of the little details when watching live. A few things that I had forgotten about, or only noticed on re-watch, occasionally in slo-mo:

Unfortunately, Cobie Durant was the guy at fault on CMC's 51 yard run. Cobie had a clean shot at him and totally whiffed. Nice coverage by 14 on Aiyuk on a crucial play, though. Cobie hand-fighting all the way to the ground.

VJ had a nice first-down catch nullified by a holding call on the Rams. Got popped and held on. Just sayin'!

Avila's block on Williams' TD was a thing of beauty. Wow!

Jonah Williams with a real nice shed and tackle. Good use of hands and leverage.

Bobby Brown with a bit of an 'ole' on CMC TD run. Balance wasn't very good on that play.

Puka is just a warrior out there. On re-watch you can see how damn tough he is, he fights for EVERYTHING. Just hope he can learn how to protect his body, but man he is tough after the catch.

Larell Murchison and Johnnie Johnson were out there with starters to open the game. Kinda weird.

Tutu looks GREAT. He knows exactly what he is doing and runs with authority and purpose. (Yeah, of course with the exception of that big 'intentional grounding' play). Also, the play design and execution to give him a free release is just brilliant. Rams snap the ball at the precise moment to allow for Tutu to release directly behind another receiver, using his teammate as a "pick" at the line of scrimmage. Really haven't seen that type of release used before so consistently and so well.

Kyren Williams had a straight drop in the first Q that went right through his hands. A precursor to what was unfortunately the biggest play of the game-- (the INT off off his hands in the 4th Q) . Don't get me wrong though-- I LOVE KW's effort and tenacity and professionalism out there. Especially loved a play when he made a one-handed grab, fell to his knee, and then had the awareness to get back up a split-second before he was touched and then gain another 7 yards for a first down. Bottom line, KW just has to focus better on the easy catches, and make sure he's got it BEFORE turning to run.

Hoecht had a good first half and sealed the edge well, from what I saw.

EDIT: finishing off the first half notes...

Gotta repeat how good Tutu looked out there. If not for Puka being a record-setting monster, we'd all be talking about Tutu!! I wonder if he's grown an extra inch to reach 5'9", and maybe he's gained a couple pounds to get all the way up to 160? :laugh2:Seriously though, Tutu looks like a polished pro out there, great to see.

Puka's warrior nature could be a safety problem for him... he fights every damn play to the whistle and beyond. Even when there's three opponents hanging all over him and the ref's have blown the play dead, Puka is still scrapping for yards.

Just a weird observation I noticed in slo-mo about Byron Young: he is CONSISTENTLY the last guy to react after the snap. I wonder if this can be improved with coaching? Or if it's part of his head spinning as a rookie? I noticed this about him in preseason, too. In the first half, on no less than 5 plays, Young was a half-step behind everyone else on the D-line. Frankly, he seems to have good quickness and speed-- I just think it could help him if he could just get up to the same speed as everyone else after the snap.

Quite honestly I thought the refs called a couple of ticky-tack calls on the Niners. I rewatched the personal foul call on #57 and didn't see anything obviously egregious-- either during the play or after the whistle. Never heard a good clear explanation as to what the infraction was. And frankly a DB holding call on Puka was a bit tricky-tack also-- Puka stumbled out of his break, it wasn't really the result of a hold.

Likewise, the PI call on Derion was real close and they easily could have let it go. His left arm was ok I think, but his right arm just gave a little extra shove just a fraction too soon. Derion competes hard, that's for damn sure.

Cobie with loose coverage on a couple plays. From my POV, not sure who is the better CB at this point, Derion or Cobie, they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Just like in the Seattle game, KW fighting for every last inch, good to see.

Speaking of a different KW... the misdirection followed by the "flip toss" to the RB on the edge reminded me of Warner tossing to MF in '99.

That's all for now... thoughts and comments welcome.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
It's hard of course to catch many of the little details when watching live. A few things that I had forgotten about, or only noticed on re-watch, occasionally in slo-mo:

Unfortunately, Cobie Durant was the guy at fault on CMC's 51 yard run. Cobie had a clean shot at him and totally whiffed. Nice coverage by 14 on Aiyuk on a crucial play, though. Cobie hand-fighting all the way to the ground.

VJ had a nice first-down catch nullified by a holding call on the Rams. Got popped and held on. Just sayin'!

Avila's block on Williams' TD was a thing of beauty. Wow!

Jonah Williams with a real nice shed and tackle. Good use of hands and leverage.

Bobby Brown with a bit of an 'ole' on CMC TD run. Balance wasn't very good on that play.

Puka is just a warrior out there. On re-watch you can see how damn tough he is, he fights for EVERYTHING. Just hope he can learn how to protect his body, but man he is tough after the catch.

Larell Murchison and Johnnie Johnson were out there with starters to open the game. Kinda weird.

Tutu looks GREAT. He knows exactly what he is doing and runs with authority and purpose. (Yeah, of course with the exception of that big 'intentional grounding' play). Also, the play design and execution to give him a free release is just brilliant. Rams snap the ball at the precise moment to allow for Tutu to release directly behind another receiver, using his teammate as a "pick" at the line of scrimmage. Really haven't seen that type of release used before so consistently and so well.

Kyren Williams had a straight drop in the first Q that went right through his hands. A precursor to what was unfortunately the biggest play of the game-- (the INT off off his hands in the 4th Q) . Don't get me wrong though-- I LOVE KW's effort and tenacity and professionalism out there. Especially loved a play when he made a one-handed grab, fell to his knee, and then had the awareness to get back up a split-second before he was touched and then gain another 7 yards for a first down. Bottom line, KW just has to focus better on the easy catches, and make sure he's got it BEFORE turning to run.

Hoecht had a good first half and sealed the edge well, from what I saw.

EDIT: finishing off the first half notes...

Gotta repeat how good Tutu looked out there. If not for Puka being a record-setting monster, we'd all be talking about Tutu!! I wonder if he's grown an extra inch to reach 5'9", and maybe he's gained a couple pounds to get all the way up to 160? :laugh2:Seriously though, Tutu looks like a polished pro out there, great to see.

Puka's warrior nature could be a safety problem for him... he fights every damn play to the whistle and beyond. Even when there's three opponents hanging all over him and the ref's have blown the play dead, Puka is still scrapping for yards.

Just a weird observation I noticed in slo-mo about Byron Young: he is CONSISTENTLY the last guy to react after the snap. I wonder if this can be improved with coaching? Or if it's part of his head spinning as a rookie? I noticed this about him in preseason, too. In the first half, on no less than 5 plays, Young was a half-step behind everyone else on the D-line. Frankly, he seems to have good quickness and speed-- I just think it could help him if he could just get up to the same speed as everyone else after the snap.

Quite honestly I thought the refs called a couple of ticky-tack calls on the Niners. I rewatched the personal foul call on #57 and didn't see anything obviously egregious-- either during the play or after the whistle. Never heard a good clear explanation as to what the infraction was. And frankly a DB holding call on Puka was a bit tricky-tack also-- Puka stumbled out of his break, it wasn't really the result of a hold.

Likewise, the PI call on Derion was real close and they easily could have let it go. His left arm was ok I think, but his right arm just gave a little extra shove just a fraction too soon. Derion competes hard, that's for damn sure.

Cobie with loose coverage on a couple plays. From my POV, not sure who is the better CB at this point, Derion or Cobie, they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Just like in the Seattle game, KW fighting for every last inch, good to see.

Speaking of a different KW... the misdirection followed by the "flip toss" to the RB on the edge reminded me of Warner tossing to MF in '99.

That's all for now... thoughts and comments welcome.
I rewatched last night. I think Avila again was dominant and flashing perennial pro bowl. Shelton also looks extremely impressive. He is so quick and fundamentally sound.

What really stood out to me was Kyren Williams, He is so quick and runs with such good vision. Then he brings just an excellent blitz pickup skillset. Both with his vision and quickness. But also with his technique. Our pass game will benefit greatly from this. But what really stands out is how quickly he is able to take a catch and turn up field. Compare him to Henderson and its night and day. Hendo used to bother the hell out of me because his buildup after the catch was molasses. Compared to Akers its also a big improvement. Kyren is just smooth catching and immediatety getting upfield with vision and explosion. The rough part is he had the two huge drops. He needs to really work on securing the ball first and waiting a tick. But he still will be much quicker and effective then what we have seen in years even if he does wait a tick to secure the ball first. We really need to get him rest and get a rotation in there though, he's not going to last with this many touches per game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I appreciate these rewatch posts. (y)

Young players gonna fuck up. It is why expectations dip when relying on them.

Durant has to improve on his tackling. His coverage ability I expect will get better and better but he definitely dislikes contact.

Kendrick's main issue has been his head and ball awareness. Which is common with young corners. Question is whether we are seeing his ceiling due to his speed. Again though he has grown on me.

Williams yeah that play where he got back to his feet is a great example of how different he is to what we have endured post Gurley.

What I like is we are relying on these young players and getting mostly good return. So long as that continues I won't sweat occasional mistakes. They just need to keep working and improving.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Thing that really stood out for me was the design of the Defense this year. Lot's of different rush looks the Rams are bringing. Going to give some opponents real problems. They are bringing 4 rushers from almost anywhere in their zone concepts.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Appreciate the rewatch notes!

I have to say that I've been skeptical of Durant in the STAR position. It requires a guy moving around and doing different things... and, to me, that player has to be physical. Durant just aint and doesn't like to hit or tackle.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think your assessment of Young is probably spot on. I think it's his mental wheels turning while playing and you can see it. I'd rather him take his time and know his assignment than just rushing the passer. In time I think that will fix itself as it becomes muscle memory.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
From what I saw, I'm still trying to figure out how you get a grounding call on a pass that traveled right over a receiver?
It was really high but it was right in line.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Good analysis. I’m pretty sure I saw Hoecht not seal off the edge on the big mcCaffrey run.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Appreciate the rewatch notes!

I have to say that I've been skeptical of Durant in the STAR position. It requires a guy moving around and doing different things... and, to me, that player has to be physical. Durant just aint and doesn't like to hit or tackle.
Well, Ramsey didn't either!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm just gonna enjoy this team. Like there isn't any drama (especially now that Cam Akers is gone). Other teams will get there yards and points...gonna happen. Long as things keep progressing, I'm good and I'm sure the dubs will come too.

BTW...can we please spell out Van, or Jefferson, or both? I hate that I have such a dirty mind whenever I see "VJ".

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Confused Gary Coleman GIF

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm just gonna enjoy this team. Like there isn't any drama (especially now that Cam Akers is gone). Other teams will get there yards and points...gonna happen. Long as things keep progressing, I'm good and I'm sure the dubs will come too.

BTW...can we please spell out Van, or Jefferson, or both? I hate that I have such a dirty mind whenever I see "VJ".

What, you done thinking about the Kardashian's too ?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Well, until he starts playing better I think it should stay VaJ

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Huh?? Ramsey might have lost a step in coverage but he never shied away from contact and would absolutely hit and tackle with authority.
That's why many of us thought he might make a better safety than corner as he aged....

~ArkyRamsFan~