Notes and slo-mo re-watch of second half of Niners game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
After more careful viewing, a few notes on 2nd half, and a few things I missed (or forgot about) when I watched it live:

Austin Trammel freaks me out a bit. He catches the opening kickoff and forgets for a sec whether or not he's in the end zone?! I still remember how Trammel fumbled his one punt return (out of bounds) in preseason. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed with this guy.

KW is too important to receive either kickoffs or punts... replace him please.

Purdy's 3 huge misses on the long balls were glaring. 1st half: Witherspoon bit HARD on the in-and-up route. 3rd Q: Derion caught flat footed. Later in 2nd half: Deebo torches Derion at LOS, Derion can't catch back up. Purdy overthrew all 3 of these... all 3 could have been touchdowns. (Thanks for the gifts, Brock!) We definitely lucked out on these. Wouldn't be surprised if Niners fans are wondering, "does Brock have a problem with the long ball?"

Stafford moving better than I've ever seen him move. His fake on Ward #7 was nasty! (Sanchez said Stafford pulled the "stanky leg" move, lol.) Stafford strutting and rubbing it in the defender's face on that one. Several nice runs, including one for a first down on last drive. I wonder if the extra rest helped MS considerably this season? He seems to have extra pep in his step.

Didn't look like a huge hit on Boom's shoulder. Hit him more on the bicep, really. Hope Boom is ok to go.

Again with the motion and toss to the RB on the opposite side in the flat, a play I remember mostly from the GSOT days.

Camera pans the crowd to show... Walter White and Jesse are Rams fans! Awesome! If any Rams need "a little something for extra energy," they know where to get some.

Tre Tomlinson with a textbook tackle on Evans' 72 yard bomb. (Then TT throws in some extra chippiness after the play is over.) Later, TT blocks like his hair is on fire during a punt return. That guy is a fierce competitor, sure seems like he will get plays on D sooner rather than later.

Puka is like the opposite of Ike and Torry-- he just refuses to go down to protect his body. Several times it took 3 Niners to drag him down.

#92 Jonah Williams with nice pressure.

Byron Young continues to look good-- his running style reminds me of L Floyd. High effort and a couple nice run stops from BY. HE continues in 2nd half to occasionally be slow off the snap.

Rivers with a nice shifty run negated by a penalty. I thought Rivers looked good in preseason. Cautiously optimistic about him.

A commercial for a car race INSIDE the Coliseum?! Talk about a lot of left turns...

Anchrum with some nice protections in pass pro. Only sack given up all year so far was on a clear missed assignment. Other than that missed assignment, Anchrum looked competent in pass pro.

The Deebo TD was sick. One reason I enjoy watching the NFL is seeing guys who are "elite among the elites." (Like AD, for example.) Hate to say it, but Deebo is just extraordinarily gifted-- huge and fast and can change direction on a dime. He regularly torched all our CB's. And on that TD run, both Derion AND E Jones completely whiffed on him. Yeah, but he IS a crybaby!

I love E Jones (especially this year), but he played the Deebo TD poorly. Jones jogged casually to the sideline, thinking the play would get run out of bounds. But once he saw Deebo juke Derion, Jones started to sprint-- and once Deebo saw that, he juked back inward, leaving Jones flat-footed.

Hate to say it, but Rozeboom kinda reminds me of Reeder. A try-hard guy without good change-of-direction ability. Rozeboom with good effort and a nice ankle tackle, though.

On the reverse to Skow, Bosa was completely unblocked, and Skow blew by him. That play is boom or bust.

Bosa was getting unstoppable as the game wore on. Blew by RH on the right, and later blew by AJ on the left. (Can't blame Anchrum for those).

On the "anticipated whirly bird" route to Tutu, yeah, it's pretty clear Tutu made the mistake. But frankly, Stafford didn't HAVE to throw it in the EZ. MS had enough time to throw it at Tutu's feet, even though Tutu failed to make the right adjustment. Kinda seemed like MS threw it in the EZ out of frustration, as if to say, "this is where you should have been, dammit!" Yeah maybe it was a questionable decision to call intentional grounding, but if MS had just thrown it in the vicinity of Tutu, it wouldn't have been even a close call. Good overall play by Stafford, but I think frustration got to him on that play.

Back breaker not to challenge the Deebo fumble recovered by Hoecht. That lack of a challenge was a mistake made by the coaching staff, IMO. The replays were inconclusive... they never showed one with a clear definitive look. Was Deebo's foot inbounds? Did Hoecht make the recovery inbounds? We never got a good look at either one, but they were both INCREDIBLY close, within an inch or less. Rams had all 3 timeouts left, down by 7 with about 6 minutes left. Definitely should haver thrown the challenge flag... ESPECIALLY when the Niners called timeout and gave them more time. If the Rams staff saw anything definitive, it was not on the televised broadcast.

Raheem calls "cover zero" on a crucial 3rd down play late in the game? Purdy throws the ball away due to the all-out blitz! Raheem could learn a thing or two from Gregg Williams! (Well, not the "kill the head and the body will die" part.) Seriously though, it's good to see Raheem mixing in some more pressure (finally). NFL offenses are tough to beat when they get in rhythm, and he's gotta disrupt that every once in a while.

In a carryover from first half-- throughout the second half, Tutu ran with purpose and authority, and KW battled for everything.

Overall, like most everyone else here, I was pleased the Rams played smart and hard and gave a great fight to an obviously loaded Niners team. Feeling great about the future of our Rams!

Thoughts and comments welcome

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

There was a picture posted showing the ball out of bounds on the dumbo fumble. That's probably why the whiners took a time out. Everyone knew it wasn't a fumble recovered.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Another great write up.

I really like the direction our team is going. If we keep it up and stay healthy, I like our chances at making the playoffs. And everyone knows a lot can change in the playoffs.

Cheers

brucebruce

Rookie
Purdy's 3 huge misses on the long balls were glaring. 1st half: Witherspoon bit HARD on the in-and-up route. 3rd Q: Derion caught flat footed. Later in 2nd half: Deebo torches Derion at LOS, Derion can't catch back up. Purdy overthrew all 3 of these... all 3 could have been touchdowns. (Thanks for the gifts, Brock!) We definitely lucked out on these. Wouldn't be surprised if Niners fans are wondering, "does Brock have a problem with the long ball?"

Many niner fans have been frustrated by Purdy's deeper accuracy since day one. Just the kool-aid drinkers who think he's drew brees think he can do everything. Purdy is a dink and dunker who will hit deep passes but not at the highest percentage.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Many niner fans have been frustrated by Purdy's deeper accuracy since day one. Just the kool-aid drinkers who think he's drew brees think he can do everything. Purdy is a dink and dunker who will hit deep passes but not at the highest percentage.
Interesting. If Stafford had missed 3 wide open long shots like that, we'd all be freaking out. Here's hoping Brock continues to struggle with the deep passes. All 3 were wide open, frankly.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting. If Stafford had missed 3 wide open long shots like that, we'd all be freaking out. Here's hoping Brock continues to struggle with the deep passes. All 3 were wide open, frankly.
Niner WR lover!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Absolutely

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

I've said it before. Purdy can win because the team is strong. Can you imagine if the whiners had Stafford?

If you watch the games carefully, about half of Purdy's passes are completed behind the LOS or just in front. He can make good throws in the short and medium range but he's not accurate on longer throws and when he's under duress. But of course he hasn't been under duress that much. You could plunk in a lot of NFL starters who would have a great record with the whiners because they have a strong running game and a strong defense.

Two weeks from now the whiners play the cowgirls. That will be interesting

oldnotdead

Legend
The Niners play to Purdy's strengths, just like the Lions play to Goff's strengths. McVay schemes to fit Stafford's gunslinger mentality. That's why the QBs are successful.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Another great write up.

I really like the direction our team is going. If we keep it up and stay healthy, I like our chances at making the playoffs. And everyone knows a lot can change in the playoffs.

Cheers
That’s how focused & good this Rams team is.The biggest thing going against The Rams is there schedule.
—I’m calling this game a must win.The Rams have to fly back home & then have to fly back to Indy on a short week.The Colts are playing better than most analysts would have thought.That’s a must win as well. 3-1 or 2-2.
This 17 game schedule fits well for The Rams young depth.There skilled position players & depth are solid.

dang

Legend
So watching the replay. Jones didn’t look so good on 69ers first TD drive but Kendrick looked like he was playing flag football. He made a business decision to not get his uniform dirty on the McCaffrey TD run.literally watching the play go right by him then stopping rather than taking a shot at keeping CMC out of the end zone. That’s not NFL caliber football.

dang

Legend
2nd observation. I thought I saw it wrong but in slo mo replay and endorsed by the announcers: Bosa grabs Higs and pulls him to the ground to keep him from releasing on a Stafford scramble. And the refs call Higs for holding. Kept Rams from getting a TD on their first drive. I get why Bozo did it…to keep Higs from releasing into the flat but the fact that a professional ref didn’t see what a couch surfer like me saw in real time just infuriates me. Reminds me of the bs non-call face mask by Higgins against Ramsey in the SB. That’s poor middle school refereeing there. Do your fucking job refs.

dang

Legend
So on the flip side, the PF on Greenlaw against Nakua looked questionable at best. It helped the Rams get their first TD. They can get Greenlaw doing something extracurricular every series if they called that tightly. Rams got lucky on that one.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
So on the flip side, the PF on Greenlaw against Nakua looked questionable at best. It helped the Rams get their first TD. They can get Greenlaw doing something extracurricular every series if they called that tightly. Rams got lucky on that one.

The whiners like to act like thugs and the refs should throw the flags.

I find it odd that there was only one offensive holding call in the game (unless I'm mistaken) and it was against the Rams.

The whiners are employing quite often, the bear hug technique when blocking AD and it wasn't flagged all day long.