Noteboom and Allen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I rewatched the Niners game tracking every snap with Noteboom and Allen.

My Observation:

Noteboom was mostly lined up on 94 Solomon Thomas. Noteboom won every snap both in pass pro and in the run game getting lots of push and quickly getting to his assignement. A highlight of course was the block for Cooks TD catch. where Noteboom and Saffold own the niners Defense.

Allen- Quick and assignment sound. A few times he got some good removal in the run game but i’m at least 4 snaps Allen was pushed in the backfield 2-3 yards. This is the same thing i observed in preseason. Allen needs to get stronger or he isn’t going to pan out in the NFl. Allen from what i could tell was mostly matched up on 99 Buckner who is a handful.

Thoughts?

Psycho_X

Legend
Saw the same thing. Noteboom was awesome for his first extended real time experience. I have high confidence in him taking over for Whit when the time comes. Allen was getting manhandled in the passing game.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

My Observation:

Noteboom was mostly lined up on 94 Solomon Thomas. Noteboom won every snap both in pass pro and in the run game getting lots of push and quickly getting to his assignement. A highlight of course was the block for Cooks TD catch. where Noteboom and Saffold own the niners Defense.

Allen- Quick and assignment sound. A few times he got some good removal in the run game but i’m at least 4 snaps Allen was pushed in the backfield 2-3 yards. This is the same thing i observed in preseason. Allen needs to get stronger or he isn’t going to pan out in the NFl. Allen from what i could tell was mostly matched up on 99 Buckner who is a handful.

Thoughts?

Buckner is probably the best defensive player on the Whiners. Makes sense that Allen struggled. Allen does need to add strength, but overall, I thought he did as well as expected.

Solomon Thomas looks like a bust. He was praised as the next Aaron Donald, and hasn't come close to a tenth of Donald's talent. But what matters is winning against the players you're matched up on, and Noteboom was spectacular in that regard.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Buckner is probably the best defensive player on the Whiners. Makes sense that Allen struggled. Allen does need to add strength, but overall, I thought he did as well as expected.

Agreed there aren't many tougher matchups out there than Buckner. That the kid did well is a great sign. He's a plus guy in terms of strength at the Center position as a rookie. Question with him is whether he'll be able to provide some OG depth, the guard spots do require more ability to drive block ideally, so for now he's center only but we'll see how he looks in camp next year.

Rams hitting on both 3rd and 4th round picks on the OL is superb.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Agreed there aren't many tougher matchups out there than Buckner. That the kid did well is a great sign. He's a plus guy in terms of strength at the Center position as a rookie. Question with him is whether he'll be able to provide some OG depth, the guard spots do require more ability to drive block ideally, so for now he's center only but we'll see how he looks in camp next year.

Rams hitting on both 3rd and 4th round picks on the OL is superb.

I'd also add in Jamil Demby. I know he's only a sixth, I know that he got cut early in the year, but I love this kid's potential. He could be a dominant force at either guard slot.

fearsomefour

Legend

My Observation:

Thoughts?
Basically what I saw.
Allen for sure has the quickness and athleticism to get to the second level.
Getting his ass handed to him a couple of times vs Buckner is nothing to be embarrassed about. Hard to tell how much is strength and how much is leverage and hand placement etc.
What I notice about Noteboom is he does very well what Robinson struggled so much with....balance. Noteboom pass blocks with great balance.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Noteboom is solid and Allen could start someday too, but we’ll need to add another depth OL next year either thru draft or FA.

Having Saffold still out there in the 4th qtr made me nervous!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Would like to see a center with a little more lead in his ass. You will have to deal with Buckner, Cox, and Hicks for awhile... plus a stellar rookie class coming in. So either via FA or draft I want a 6-3 315 type guy at center.

Allen looks just a little pumped up to just get to 6-1 300 lbs.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Would like to see a center with a little more lead in his ass.
Same. Allen looks on the smallish side.

Noteboom played lights-out.

Not sure why some are high on Demby, the guy got blown several times in preseason.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Noteboom looks good but I don't see anything about Brian Allen to get excited about. He's a work hard guy with poor measurables. I'd rather a stud center, and if one was available in round 1 wouldn't mind him becoming a Ram. OLine play is very important and Center is a need. Three of the Rams starters are over 30, one of which should retire and the other is starting to show his age a bit.

If no new center is in the plans then move Blythe to center and draft a guard. Maybe they sign Jam on Brown in free agency.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Basically what I saw.
Allen for sure has the quickness and athleticism to get to the second level.
Getting his ass handed to him a couple of times vs Buckner is nothing to be embarrassed about. Hard to tell how much is strength and how much is leverage and hand placement etc.
What I notice about Noteboom is he does very well what Robinson struggled so much with....balance. Noteboom pass blocks with great balance.
Buckner is most likely the best player on the 9ers defense. He just concluded his 3rd season. He was a top 10 first round selection @ #7. He has started 47 NFL games in 3 seasons. He leads the team in solo tackles & in assists. In addition, he has 12 sacks. More sacks than Suh, Brockers, Westbrooks, Smart, Franklin-Myers & Joseph-Day have together. Buckner knew we were going to run the ball heavy up the middle in the 2nd half & the Rams did.

Rookie center Brian Allen has yet to start an NFL game & has very limited snaps with the regular offense. This last Sunday Allen got more snaps than he had totaled all season. Brian Allen held up well enough to cause most Ram fans to look forward on his future here as our starting center.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Same. Allen looks on the smallish side.

Noteboom played lights-out.

Not sure why some are high on Demby, the guy got blown several times in preseason.

I'd like to see what he can do with some development. He's a small school guy with size who is country strong. But the fact that the Rams cut him makes me doubtful he'll ever be anything special. Still, I'm happy he's back.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
[QUOTE="fearsomefour, post: 1163565, member: 574
What I notice about Noteboom is he does very well what Robinson struggled so much with....balance. Noteboom pass blocks with great balance.[/QUOTE]
Noteboom played hockey, so I think that is part of the reason. He looks solid ....but is he strong?

fearsomefour

Legend
[QUOTE="fearsomefour, post: 1163565, member: 574
Noteboom played hockey, so I think that is part of the reason. He looks solid ....but is he strong?[/QUOTE]
Hard to know.
He may not be a mauling physical LT in the run game. That's fine. Shielding can be as effective as blowing someone up a lot of times.
His primary grade will be pass blocking and he certainly looks capable there.

fearsomefour

Legend
Buckner is most likely the best player on the 9ers defense. He just concluded his 3rd season. He was a top 10 first round selection @ #7. He has started 47 NFL games in 3 seasons. He leads the team in solo tackles & in assists. In addition, he has 12 sacks. More sacks than Suh, Brockers, Westbrooks, Smart, Franklin-Myers & Joseph-Day have together. Buckner knew we were going to run the ball heavy up the middle in the 2nd half & the Rams did.

Rookie center Brian Allen has yet to start an NFL game & has very limited snaps with the regular offense. This last Sunday Allen got more snaps than he had totaled all season. Brian Allen held up well enough to cause most Ram fans to look forward on his future here as our starting center.
Yeah, sample size is too small but Allen certainly looks promising.
He was not overwhelmed which is a huge plus.
Allen getting over powered at the point of attack is not a huge concern at this point.
In fact seeing how this seems to happen to Sullivan several times a game it would appear there is a real chance Allen can provide an upgrade at C.

Ram65

Legend

My Observation:

Thoughts?

I didn't see it that way for Allen. He was blocking off his man most every play. He has a big backside and looks strong in the lower body. He was going against Jones most of the time and some with Armstead. On the 4th down and 5-6 he got pushed back a little by Bruckner. All in all he did a good job. He gets down field well too.

http://fullmatchtv.com/index.php/nfl/los-angeles-rams-vs-san-francisco-49ers-dec-30-2018/

Start at just before the 1:57 mark.

Edit had wrong link that has been corrected lol.

Last edited:

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Kyle Murphy: Joins Rams
  • by RotoWire Staff
  • Dec 29, 2018 • 1 min read UPDATE Dec 29, 2018, 11:05pm

Murphy in 2017
No. 71 – Los Angeles Rams
Position:
Offensive tackle
Personal information
Born:
December 11, 1993 (age 25)
Mission Viejo, California
Height: 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)
Weight: 305 lb (138 kg)
Career information
High school:
San Clemente
(San Clemente, California)
College: Stanford
NFL Draft: 2016 / Round: 6 / Pick: 200
$

Murphy (ankle) signed with the Rams' practice squad Saturday, according to the NFL's official transaction log.

Murphy spent the season on injured reserve in Green Bay but was waived off IR on Thursday. The 2016 sixth-round pick out of Stanford appears healthy and will end the regular season back in California.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I didn't see it that way for Allen. He was blocking off his man most every play. He has a big backside and looks strong in the lower body. He was going against Jones most of the time and some with Armstead. On the 4th down and 5-6 he got pushed back a little by Bruckner. All in all he did a good job. He gets down field well too.

https://secure.mypennmedicine.org/MyPennMedicine/default.asp?action=logout

Start at just before the 1:57 mark.
DJ Jones the 9ers NT is the strongest 9er. Jones has outrageous weight room strength with monster numbers in clean, bench, and squat.