Not to fuel a running back debate, but ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mike Sando
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... debate-but

Steven Jackson's streak of seven consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons could be in jeopardy for reasons beneficial to the St. Louis Rams.

One reason, actually.

Daryl Richardson, the Rams' rookie seventh-round draft choice, has given the offense a jolt with his speed and breakaway ability. He has 53- and 44-yard runs this season. Those are two of the Rams' three longest rushes since the start of the 2010 season. Jackson's 47-yard scoring run in the 2011 opener was the other.

Richardson has 246 yards and a 5.2-yard average through six games. If we watched the Rams play without knowing anything about the legacy Jackson has built in St. Louis, would we conclude through performance alone that Jackson was the Rams' best option?

We might, but it wouldn't be automatic.

Both backs are going to play, but this dynamic is a new one for the Rams. The team has not had a viable alternative to Jackson since Marshall Faul played his final down in 2005, Jackson's second season. The No. 2 back in St. Louis hasn't commanded many carries before this season.

Cadillac Williams, Kenneth Darby, Antonio Pittman, Brian Leonard and Stephen Davis have finished second to Jackson in rushing yards for the Rams since Faulk retired. They had between 152 and 361 yards rushing in a given season. Richardson is on pace to surpass 361 yards in the next three games and possibly sooner if Week 6 was an indicator. Richardson had 11 carries for 76 yards against the Miami Dolphins last week.

In the past, Jackson knew he would get enough carries over the course of 16 games to get his 1,000 yards. He has rightfully taken pride in the streak. There could be enough production to go around for Jackson to keep alive the streak even with Richardson playing a significant role in the offense. Both players were productive as the Rams amassed 462 yards against the Dolphins.

Through six games, Jackson is on pace for 861 yards. Richardson is on pace for 656. Jackson was on a slower pace at this point last season, but he caught up with at least 128 yards in three consecutive games beginning in Week 8. No other Rams running back got more than three carries in any of those games.

The chart shows production by down for Richardson and Jackson. The final column shows percentage of rushes resulting in first downs. The percentage is much higher for Jackson on third down because he has five carries on third-and-1, plus two others with fewer than four yards needed for a first down. Richardson's third-down carries have come with 7, 12, 13, 17 and 24 yards needed for a first down, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Related: Rick Venturi's film review on the Rams' running backs at Miami begin at the five-minute mark of this clip.

7c50a81c61db4e66b83ffa8.png

bluecoconuts

Legend
I just hope when the day comes that Jackson does retire he does so as a Ram. With him being a free agent next year, I get the feeling he'll go to another team and we wont be able to have gotten him to some playoffs.

It's obvious that they're moving towards Richardson, and he really makes it look like Jackson has lost a step. If that's because of injury or age I'm not sure though. It's bittersweet for sure.

PhxRam

bluecoconuts said:
I just hope when the day comes that Jackson does retire he does so as a Ram. With him being a free agent next year, I get the feeling he'll go to another team and we wont be able to have gotten him to some playoffs.

It's obvious that they're moving towards Richardson, and he really makes it look like Jackson has lost a step. If that's because of injury or age I'm not sure though. It's bittersweet for sure.

no offense but why does everyone keep saying he is a free agent next year?

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Yo Blue you're my boy! However I haven't seen anything of late that from my perception he's lost a step of two because of age or groin. I look right at the last 3 games against arguably total defenses esp run D's in the league top 5. SJax continues to use the same power he's always had just sharing some love with D-Rich. And we all know why its not even a complicated thorough exam of explanations....TEAM player. Always has been always will finish as one

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
PhxRam said:
bluecoconuts said:

Because they reworked his contract during training camp which allows Jackson to void the last year (2013). He can opt to do that, or he can opt to stay and renegotiate. Nobody really knows what's going to happen though.

PhxRam

X said:
PhxRam said:
bluecoconuts said:

Because they reworked his contract during training camp which allows Jackson to void the last year (2013). He can opt to do that, or he can opt to stay and renegotiate. Nobody really knows what's going to happen though.

Or he can stay and negotiate nothing

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
PhxRam said:
X said:
PhxRam said:
bluecoconuts said:

Or he can stay and negotiate nothing

And then get released. The way Richardson's playing the Rams will not pay him 7 mil next year. I hope the rams and SJ will come to terms on a deal that would allow him to retire a ram.

I still don't see how Jackson's production is falling. He did look a bit slower a couple weeks back when he hurt his groin. He looks healthier now and with him and Rich carrying the load we have a great 1-2 punch at running back! THUNDER AND LIGHTNING! :twisted:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm always going wit the Natty Dreads

DSC00621.jpg

And the Marley Brothers do too...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm7op0bmOe0[/youtube]

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
IMO if SJ OR DR had all the carries right now they'd be wearing down some and be nicked possibly even out for a game (Item Trent Richardson IS).
The reality of the NFL is that you need two backs , the speed and size of defensive players today takes a greater toll on RB's and a case could be made that trying to back SJ up with used up backs instead of limiting his carries across an entire season with good young backs has hurt this teams record.

I don't think I'd pay SJ $7 mill. next year, I don't think a team that isn't trying to make it appear they are doing something will. Other teams will come calling ,doubtless, but IF they pay him the big bucks and try to lean on him for 25 carries a game he won't make it through the season.

There are economic laws in effect here , price ceilings (salary cap) cause scarcity,and older talented players with conversely effective price floors ( league minimums that escalate for years of experience) intersect and assure guys like SJ retire before they have outlived usefulness because their productivity and cost can't come to equilibrium.

SJ has to KNOW he feels better today than he did a year ago, hopefully he comes around to understanding that this coach is building a team he can win with instead of asking him to carry it,that hasn't worked in the past , and NOW is NO TIME for SJ to conclude it could.
For a game DR might be our best back, but for a season IMO SJ is,I like what we have combined ,I hope we keep it this way.

Has anyone heard who will be returning punts this week?I sorta think Pead.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
bluecoconuts said:

Jack never had that step. He never was Speedy.

He's a power back. It's incredible how fast he is for his size.

I'm hoping SJack becomes our Jerome Bettis. Well, the Steeler not the Ram.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:

Jack never had that step. He never was Speedy.

He's a power back. It's incredible how fast he is for his size.

I'm hoping SJack becomes our Jerome Bettis. Well, the Steeler not the Ram.

Yup, his highest and best use is as a closer,hope he gets to close one out tomorrow

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Jackson is still a fucking beast. The only concern that should ever be made is his injury history. If healthy he has no right not being the #1 back on the team. Richardson has been everything the Rams needed for a change of pace and a lot more. The kid has a bright future. That said... Stop giving him the ball on the fucking 1-2-3 yard line. I have every confidence in him getting it, but YOU HAVE STEVEN FUCKING JACKSON ON THE BENCH COACH. He knows how to get 3 yards out of nothing better than any back in the league.

I love the 1-2 comb we have working right now though. I expect to see a lot of it tomorrow. Richardson is going to be a big key in the turnaround for this team. Sure is nice to hit on some draft picks now huh?