Not getting mentioned much

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It feels like a lot of fans have unrealistic expectations when it comes to defensive backs. Guys are going to get beaten - it happens. This is especially true with stud wide receivers. We also generally don’t know what the guys assignment is on a given play. We see a complete pass, see the guy who was closest to the receiver and go - that guy sucks!

oldnotdead

Legend
BBIII was a 4th round pick for a reason. The history of the Rams is to basically redshirt these picks for a year. Allow them to condition, body build and be coached up in the NFL's way of playing. I have no problem with his not playing and he should be better for it next year. BBIII came in strong in potential and short on technique. His handwork is subpar for the NFL, as is his footwork. He needs to improve his first step and learn how to shed, both of which make him reminiscent of SJD and who took 3 years to develop.

I don't see Robinson or SJD on the team next year. It will open the door for Gaines, Hoecht, and BB3 at NT. But IMO BB3 needs to show he can play more than NT and until he does he will remain buried on the depth chart. BB3 came in with a rep of giving inconsistent effort. That's the first thing that must change if he truly wants to emulate Donald.

With BB3 next year will be a better measuring stick as to what they have in him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't see Robinson or SJD on the team next year. It will open the door for Gaines, Hoecht, and BB3 at NT. But IMO BB3 needs to show he can play more than NT and until he does he will remain buried on the depth chart. BB3 came in with a rep of giving inconsistent effort. That's the first thing that must change if he truly wants to emulate Donald.

With BB3 next year will be a better measuring stick as to what they have in him.

It seems logical that SJD will depart following this season as he's going to become a rather expensive free agent which will make him difficult to retain. As for Robinson, I'd be hard pressed to believe the Rams are prepared to unload him as losing two DLinemen simultaneously will really affect our depth. While Robinson carries a large dead money CAP hit if he's cut, there still would be some overall savings to the CAP, but as you've mentioned yourself, getting rookies up to speed on the DL takes time, so I'd be pretty surprised if it goes down this way.

You have also called for Whitworth & Havenstein to hit the road next season as one prepares for retirement and the other you just plain dislike. Again, I don't see our OL depth as being able to support both those losses as Corbett, Allen & Noteboom are also facing free agency next year. Should Whitworth retire as expected, I might be more inclined to believe that Havenstein receives a contract extension which significantly lowers his CAP for the next 1 or 2 years, allowing the Rams to re-sign Corbett & Allen to extensions themselves. Havenstein will only be 30 years old in 2022, he should have plenty of good football left in him.
jmo.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It seems logical that SJD will depart following this season as he's going to become a rather expensive free agent which will make him difficult to retain. As for Robinson, I'd be hard pressed to believe the Rams are prepared to unload him as losing two DLinemen simultaneously will really affect our depth. While Robinson carries a large dead money CAP hit if he's cut, there still would be some overall savings to the CAP, but as you've mentioned yourself, getting rookies up to speed on the DL takes time, so I'd be pretty surprised if it goes down this way.

You have also called for Whitworth & Havenstein to hit the road next season as one prepares for retirement and the other you just plain dislike. Again, I don't see our OL depth as being able to support both those losses as Corbett, Allen & Noteboom are also facing free agency next year. Should Whitworth retire as expected, I might be more inclined to believe that Havenstein receives a contract extension which significantly lowers his CAP for the next 1 or 2 years, allowing the Rams to re-sign Corbett & Allen to extensions themselves. Havenstein will only be 30 years old in 2022, he should have plenty of good football left in him.
jmo.
All sensible takes.
You don’t develop a model that creates stability and intentionally create instability.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Depends on if AD wants us to keep "BASH".

I think SJD has grown into a nearly perfect compliment for AD. As well, A Robinson plays the 5T while SJD plays the NT.

Lastly, NTs rarely break the bank. I really hope we can retain SJD.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Depends on if AD wants us to keep "BASH".

I think SJD has grown into a nearly perfect compliment for AD. As well, A Robinson plays the 5T while SJD plays the NT.

Lastly, NTs rarely break the bank. I really hope we can retain SJD.
I wonder if Donald would consider pitching in to help with the championship he says he wants and take a small pay it. I'd ask all the top paid players on the team, but that's me talking as a fan. It's unlikely.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I wonder if Donald would consider pitching in to help with the championship he says he wants and take a small pay it. I'd ask all the top paid players on the team, but that's me talking as a fan. It's unlikely.

Not for a couple years yet, not until his original guaranteed money is completely covered. Donald isn't slated to become a free agent until 2025, but I could see an extension being offered in 2023/2024 which would significantly lower his CAP for a couple years and help him in getting closer to definitely retiring as a Ram.
jmo.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Long reminds me of Tye Hill. At times he is right with the WR, but doesn't make a play on the ball.
At this point in time Hill is looking pretty good to me. As in, maybe we should have broken the salary cap and resigned him somehow.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
At this point in time Hill is looking pretty good to me. As in, maybe we should have broken the salary cap and resigned him somehow.
I am talking about Tye Hill... Back in 2007/2008.

First rounder, who was a bust. He was faster than Long, but had zero ball skills.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
True. But we're looking weak at cb at the moment.

Understandable, but how much of that is on our CB's and how much responsibility should Morris have scheme-wise ?

With Fox, we get more pressure on the QB, and ultimately, that should make our DB's more efficient.
jmo.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Yeah, on the TD I think he got a little lost on the field. He had the coverage, then like stopped and turned around. It wss weird, but he'll learn from it.
I remember when we were all down on Troy Hill after Adam Thielen took him to school in Minnesota a few years ago. He bounced back nicely after that. Rochelle has enough ability to do the same.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It feels like a lot of fans have unrealistic expectations when it comes to defensive backs. Guys are going to get beaten - it happens. This is especially true with stud wide receivers. We also generally don’t know what the guys assignment is on a given play. We see a complete pass, see the guy who was closest to the receiver and go - that guy sucks!
Agreed. I'd imagine other fan boards want to fire all their DB's after Rams games.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I don't usually think this about DB's, but for Rochell "his measureables really jump out at you." Really impresssed with his size, long arms, closing speed, and leaping ability.

As for Long, I can't recall any particular play where I thought he was exceptional. Yeah he had the INT off a deflection, but he just happened to be waiting in the right spot. Long consistently seems to be "somewhat near" his man-- not close enough for a PBU, but close enough to allow the completion and make tackle. And at least two times this season, Long got torched AND fouled his man (with the call declined).

In summary, I just hope that Long's spot at #4 CB isn't totally secure. I'm glad Long was demoted from CB3 to CB4, but I'm wondering if Long should be demoted yet again to CB5. I recall Dont'e Deayon making some nice plays in preseason, both this year and last. I truly hope the coaches give Deayon a chance, because so far all Long has proved is that he's a weak link that opponents will pick on all day.

Last edited:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Understandable, but how much of that is on our CB's and how much responsibility should Morris have scheme-wise ?

With Fox, we get more pressure on the QB, and ultimately, that should make our DB's more efficient.
jmo.
Imo, and probably everybody else's too, the scheme obviously has not been good enough yet. The scheme maybe didn't protect Long enough, but he still didn't make plays when needed.

I wish we still had Morgan Fox. And JJ. And maybe even Hill. Have to believe we would have kept one or more of these guys except for cap constraints.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I remember when we were all down on Troy Hill after Adam Thielen took him to school in Minnesota a few years ago. He bounced back nicely after that. Rochelle has enough ability to do the same.
I was at that game, haha. That stadium is amazing....