Not an AD replacement but a traits player not being talked about much

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't Hall have a really good Senior Bowl week?
He did from what I remember and he nailed his pro day as well. I don't recall anything though that we met with him but doesn't mean we didn't. And whether we met with him or not based on recent history doesn't really indicate we'll pick him or not. Hasn't that % dropped a lot recently somebody was saying? Think it was early one we only drafted guys we met with and they all seemed to be team captains that did well at the SR bowl :D

Memphis Ram

Legend
1711206984131.png

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I think if we attempt to chase the next AD, it'd be a huge mistake. In the 2014 draft, we took Robinson (need) and Donald (bpa). We took Donald even though we had Quinn, Brockers and Long. Chasing needs seems to never work out. I'm all for taking BPA, even if this FO believes its a QB.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Exactly what I and others like @hotanez are saying. So many see AD retire and it's all "oh my god we need to take a DT at 19!!!!" No we need the same thing we need every year whether AD is here or not. Take the best player that will help the team the most. I saw one clown, not somebody here, have a mock where our first 4 picks were 2 DT a DE and and Edge all because AD retired. Completely ignored CB. We all have a very sneaky suspicion that McVay is going to take an X type WR by the end of day 2. His full draft he never even addressed ILB but hey he had a panic attack and really pounded that DT position :D

If the Rams truly think that Murray, Ruke, Sweat or Hall Jr or one of the others are the best option then great we'll all be behind the pick (well some will never be happy) but this thought that we can replace AD and we have to find a guy with the same measurements in his underwear just get us nowhere.
True to some extent, but even with AD, I wanted more help on the DL. So yeah, you won't find a "replacement" for him, but they do need help at DT.

It's one thing to expect AD to do everything, it's another to expect Turner to do everything. So yeah, to me they need to go get help at DT.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think if we attempt to chase the next AD, it'd be a huge mistake. In the 2014 draft, we took Robinson (need) and Donald (bpa). We took Donald even though we had Quinn, Brockers and Long. Chasing needs seems to never work out. I'm all for taking BPA, even if this FO believes its a QB.
Agree, we bent the entire rush strategy of the line to Donald - and for good reason! Without that kind of talent I expect the rush to be a much more holistic process and probably will benefit from different type of players. That being said... lot's of guys are gap rushers like Donald in this draft (albeit with much less talent) so we may end up with a similar line when all is said and done.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True to some extent, but even with AD, I wanted more help on the DL. So yeah, you won't find a "replacement" for him, but they do need help at DT.

It's one thing to expect AD to do everything, it's another to expect Turner to do everything. So yeah, to me they need to go get help at DT.
But the whole point is you don't have to force it at 19 especially if there is somebody else that can help the front 7 more than the DT. That's the whole point people are trying to force the DT pick at 19.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
A mock on the NFL site has the Rams trading down with KC and picking up #64. Trade calculator has the value fairly close. They have us picking Newton at #31. Would you make that trade if you thought Newton would fall to 31?

Memphis Ram

Legend
A mock on the NFL site has the Rams trading down with KC and picking up #64. Trade calculator has the value fairly close. They have us picking Newton at #31. Would you make that trade if you thought Newton would fall to 31?
Not sure. But I question if Rams would make that trade with Latu & Fautanu on the board at #19 in that mock.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Same. In order: Murphy, Newton, Sweat, Fiske... somewhere after, Hall
It's about roles I think. Murphy and Newton would make a ton of sense if we had whiffed on Turner. But he should be a nice 3T for us. So a rangy type who works his ass off and has some penetration ability simply fits better for opposite him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I doubt the Rams are going to try to chase the next AD. AD was one of one and they are well aware of that I think.

To their strategy it comes down to how best to use those four picks they have through that first hundred players. What is most efficient. Unless a stud drops to them that they say fuck it and just take him.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
But the whole point is you don't have to force it at 19 especially if there is somebody else that can help the front 7 more than the DT. That's the whole point people are trying to force the DT pick at 19.
I could see one at 52 or early 3rd with a trade down. Or late 1st after a trade down. The early DT has to be a pass rush threat. Then I would grab a big run stopping DT in the 5th or 6th as well.

They need bodies that can fill a role. This is Brown's last yr, so if he doesn't come back they will really be short next yr. So give me a run stuffer and a pass rusher, that's what I want at DT.

I want a DL that is feared like the Niners had or the Eagles had... let's replace Donald's effectiveness with numbers of talented players.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So would this forum prefer Latu at R1.19 or something like the proposed KC trade which could result in a R1.32 Darius Robinson + a R2.64 Michael Hall?
Latu's injury history scares me and I'm not sure I see the reason to draft both Hall and Robinson. A 285 lb edge/de and a 290 lb dt.

Memphis Ram

Legend
So would this forum prefer Latu at R1.19 or something like the proposed KC trade which could result in a R1.32 Darius Robinson + a R2.64 Michael Hall?
I would as I'm not all that high on Robinson in this defense. He's a 4-3 LDE, IMO.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm not sure the value difference between Latu and Robinson is THAT great. But as @Memphis Ram says, scheme fit could be an ish

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
BTW, this is an interesting video of 10 defensive draft gems... We have discussed most of these players. Not sure the credentials of the guys in the video, but the first 10 minutes or so they talk about USC pro day because the one guy supposedly attended it.

So skip those first 10 minutes.

A lot of DTs & secondary guys are discussed. I jumped ahead once I got their view of each player...they tend to drone on a bit.

View: https://youtu.be/kRE7i5g84Qs?si=kzxhIV5dWL50VK5v

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Latu's injury history scares me and I'm not sure I see the reason to draft both Hall and Robinson. A 285 lb edge/de and a 290 lb dt.

I guess I’m not really as concerned with that as others are. He had a neck injury, missed a season and was told by the team doctors he’d never play again. He transfers, those doctors cleared him, and he went on to play two full seasons at an extremely high level without missing time. If he’s cleared, he cleared.

It sounds like a similar situation to Mike Williams during his time at Clemson. It’s been a non issue since.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I could see one at 52 or early 3rd with a trade down. Or late 1st after a trade down. The early DT has to be a pass rush threat. Then I would grab a big run stopping DT in the 5th or 6th as well.

They need bodies that can fill a role. This is Brown's last yr, so if he doesn't come back they will really be short next yr. So give me a run stuffer and a pass rusher, that's what I want at DT.

I want a DL that is feared like the Niners had or the Eagles had... let's replace Donald's effectiveness with numbers of talented players.
Exactly. Even WITH AD99 the DL was thin going into this year. The Rams need some bodies on that front.

Memphis Ram

Legend
BTW, this is an interesting video of 10 defensive draft gems... We have discussed most of these players. Not sure the credentials of the guys in the video, but the first 10 minutes or so they talk about USC pro day because the one guy supposedly attended it.

So skip those first 10 minutes.

A lot of DTs & secondary guys are discussed. I jumped ahead once I got their view of each player...they tend to drone on a bit.

View: https://youtu.be/kRE7i5g84Qs?si=kzxhIV5dWL50VK5v

These guys got access to the East West Shrine game through I believe Eric Galko last year and were in on Kobie Turner and Desjuan Johnson before anyone I heard at the time. I believe that they are Chicago Bears fans, and they are live on youtube during the draft, too.