No shortage of positional battles on Rams, is there?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Always a good thing to have strong competition, of course.

In no particular order:

On O.

Backup QB is a 3-way battle. I give Wolford the slight edge because of his minuscule one year experience, but this could go in 3 different directions. I know some would prefer an experienced vet retread but I don’t. I’m impressed by the potential of these youngsters in a McVay O.

RB is gonna be a two-way Donnybrook if the lightbulb has gone off for Hendy. The exact rotation and number of snaps might not be sorted out until well into the season. I see Akers as the eventual ‘starter’, but who really knows? I love Akers’ intangibles.

Corbett and Hav are on the inside track, but neither are an absolute lock to be the opening day starters. Evans appears to have NFL starter abilities.

Can Everett stay on the field in 12 personnel? IOW, if he can both catch and block well enough then the D will have no ‘tell’ when he comes on the field. You know that McVay would love that. Currently, Everett or Mundt is almost like putting up a sign for the D as to whether a run or a pass is coming. So, I see a battle between Everett and Mundt for playing time. Heck, maybe we should be keeping an eye out for Hopkins, as well. There might be an opening for second TE snaps if the kid has the talent and can catch up to the NFL quickly enough.

I predict a knock-down-drag-out between Reynolds and Jefferson for 3rd WR. I further predict Jefferson as the eventual winner although it might not occur until midseason.

On D.

We’re gonna see a 5-way competition for weak side OLB snaps. Think about that. I think Ebu has the inside track for opening day but I also think that there could be changes in the rotation as the season evolves. Maybe more than one change.

Kiser will likely be one ILB and 3 others will compete for the other ILB starter in the limited base sets. Still, that’s pretty good competition, don’t you think?

I see Hill facing stiff competition for starting outside CB opposite Ramsey. First of all, it sounds like Ramsey will have many different responsibilities under Staley in order to confuse the QB, so who knows what combos Staley has in mind not only for Ramsey, but for the rest of the secondary on any given snap. IMO, this might further open the door for another man CB to see the field more. I’m a big Williams and Long fan, so seeing them at either outside or nickel would please me.

Nickel CB is gonna be a 3 way battle between Burgess, Long, and Williams, I think. Pretty danged competitive, huh?

Safety seems pretty much locked up, although Burgess will surely be included in some of Staley’s hybrid sets.

On ST.

Really, we’re looking at a 3-way for placekicker. Moreover, they look like 3 very qualified candidates, at that. Can’t remember when I’ve seen such competition at placekicker.

So, we’ll all have a ton of interesting things to watch as camp unfolds. Sure wish we had those fantastic camp reports from our board camp reporters to help us through these many battles, but it’s not to be. Hopefully, the beat reporters step up their game when we need it most.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Agreed with most to an extent. Here's my thoughts:

Don't forget about the fifth, sixth, and potentially seventh receiver slots. It's going to be a hell of a fight, and Nsimba Webster, Easop Winston, Earnest Edwards, J.J. Koski, Trishton Jackson, and Brandon Polk make this the most competitive receiver group I've ever seen in a season. That's why I wished to holy fate that there were preseason games; I want to see what all of them can - or can't - do.

Offensive line depth should be intriguing. I'm assuming that Joseph Noteboom's job (backup left tackle) is his to lose. Same with Bobby Evans and his ability to play every position except center. Then you have a bunch of interior competition with Tremayne Anchrum, Austin Corbett, Austin Blythe, Brian Allen, Coleman Shelton, and Cohl Cabral. I would not be surprised to see Blythe traded or cut; I simply don't consider him to be a good starting option. And then there's Rob Havenstein. If he's healthy and in shape, watch out. If not...well, this season is a bust. This entire season depends on if Havenstein is healthy and in shape. I'd argue that he's the single most important Ram at the moment, given the uncertainty of our offensive line with our relative youth, Whitworth in his late thirties, and Blythe...being Blythe.

Don't count out Kendall Blanton for the fourth tight end role against Johnny Mundt. Mundt's contract ends after this year, while Blanton still has a few ERFA/RFA years. Blanton does a lot of the things that Mundt does, but is a more reliable receiver. My pick - a homer pick, admittedly, but a pick nonetheless - is Blanton winning the third tight end/H-back role, and Hopkins being relegated to redshirt for this year...unless Everett gets hurt.

Like I mentioned in the inside linebackers thread, they concern me the most out of every position. Why? Because the most reliable one of the group is Travin Howard, who is, at this moment, a poor man's Cory Littleton, in both strengths and weaknesses. Micah Kiser has to prove that he can stay healthy, prove that he can make contributions on special teams, and vastly improve his coverage before I trust him with a job in our corps, let alone start. Kenny Young was basically a non-factor in his first year here, and he had been demoted to special teams from a starting job by the Ravens; needless to say, I don't think he makes the team either. Troy Reeder is an awful starter. Maybe he's good depth, but were it up to me, he'd be a cut. Clay Johnston is a good young player, as are Christian Rozeboom, and Bryan London...but they're rookies, and in this season, where preseason games don't exist, where Covid-19 runs rampant...there's not a proper way to evaluate them unless they get in games.

Also, while you nailed down most of the positions, I'm quite intrigued with the backup defensive line competition, especially with A'Shawn Robinson currently out of commission. Who wins the nose-tackle job: Sebastian Joseph-Day or Greg Gaines? Will Morgan Fox hold onto his job, or will Michael Hoecht, Jonah Williams, or Marquise Copeland find a way to make the roster? That's the sort of thing that's fascinating to me.

But you nailed everything else: it's a hell of a competition almost everywhere, and I trust McVay and his staff to pick the right men for the job and develop the younger players.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Havenstein. If he's healthy and in shape, watch out. If not...well, this season is a bust. This entire season depends on if Havenstein is healthy and in shape. I'd argue that he's the single most important Ram at the moment,

I agree with this, but I don't think he was 100% even before the injury that took him out--I think he will return to form.

We probably need the healthy OL lucky charm to return also, but I also feel better than last year about our depth. I'm still laughing that we started Noteboom at G, and Demby was next-man-up last year....

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
Re: Big Rob.
I still wonder about his noticeable regression in pass blocking when they started calling Holding for the Lobster Claw technique.
He's never been the same since on pass protection IMO.
It would be a great way to deal with a speed rusher.
IMO it may have to be Bobby Evans at RT. We'll see. Or maybe a lot of 12.

I also think Blythe has to be the call at centre for sheer experience. Centers have to make the line calls and react properly to A gap stunts. I don't see how Anshrum, Cabral, Corbett, etc can handle that. Allen maybe, if he gets stronger.

BC

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Since there's limited time with the practice restrictions and no preseason before fast approaching regular season, I expect teams to start with last year's depth chart or guys that have been in the system. Continuity is probably the most important thing right now, especially for the line. Outside of injuries or quarantines, I don't expect any major changes unless someone is really fucking up during the regular season.